• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Oil Caddy Build

Shoganai

Well the reason I couldn't find the pictures of this mini project was that in my rush to get the bike ready, I didn't take any.

Here is the oil caddy I built.

I bought two of these. Powermadd Polaris GEN II Chassis Oil Caddy.
(Well the actual ones I bought did not have that large side plate and did have the black bungee strap to hold the oil in the caddy.)

Oil%20Caddy-XL.jpg

This is the exact one I bought. PowerMadd 74805 Spare Oil Storage for Polaris Gen II

Oil%20Caddy%203.jpg

And a bar of 1" x 4" aluminum stock.

I mount it in place of the right rear foot peg and was able to use the OEM bolt. I put it there for two reasons. One, it was closest to the oil fill on the K11 and two, I didn't give up any premium storage location.

DSCF1149-XL.jpg

DSCF1149%20-%201-X2.jpg

DSCF1152%20-%201-X2.jpg

DSCF1151-X2.jpg

DSCF1152-X2.jpg

DSCF1154-X2.jpg

Oil%20Caddy%202-XL.jpg

DSCF1149%20-%202-XL.jpg

It worked perfectly!

Nice installation!

But you left out two critical items:

What was the price of the Polaris Oil Caddys?

Where's the picture of the bike with oil bottles in the caddys?

:dance:dance:dance

Very nice! You even have blue oil bottles to go with the blue bike. Blue lid on the drink bottle, blue pouch, you thought of everything. But what's with the RED cooler. They make them in blue ya know.

I never even noticed the bottles matched the bike!
That is TOO funny.

DAMN! I never really looked at it like that, but now that you pointed it out, that is SO strange!

The blue caps were on the ONLY 1 liter wide mouth water bottles I could find. (REI)
The blue pouches were the only CHEAP ones I could find. (They are modified Lowes tool belt pouches)
The blue stop watch was the ONLY 100% waterproof, big display one I could find anywhere! (amazon I think)

Now I HAVE To find a cooler in blue!

Very nice! You even have blue oil bottles to go with the blue bike. Blue lid on the drink bottle, blue pouch, you thought of everything. But what's with the RED cooler. They make them in blue ya know.

Why?

Great job, but, why do we carry this much oil with us on a ride on the RS? Just curious, mine never used 'that much' oil that I couldn't pick up a quart where I was going.

Great job, but, why do we carry this much oil with us on a ride on the RS? Just curious, mine never used 'that much' oil that I couldn't pick up a quart where I was going.

my thoughts exactly. Spare fuel would make more sense.

It was part of setting up the bike for an incredible record setting cross country (both ways) attempt. No time to search out a quart of oil in the middle of nowhere at 3am.

Read about the trip and the meticulous preparation here: http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?71494-Sunrise-to-Sunset-Insanity-Watt-was-I-thinking

MOD HAT ON!
I realize there are many differing opinions about long distance Iron Butt style riding. There are other sections of the MOA Forum to discuss riding and its different forms. The Flying Brick section of this forum is NOT the place to voice your opinions about this!!! This section is for Technical and Mechanical discussions about THE BIKES!

Consider everyone prewarned. Any debate will be moved.

Back