Thread: New member from Raleigh, NC

New member from Raleigh, NC

Hi, looking forward to getting to meet some of you this year, as many previous people posting, I have been off a bike for 12 years with kids and building a business. Previous to that I was a police officer in the UK for 18+ years and for several years was on traffic police riding K1200's........splashed out on a new K1600GT and can't wait for the weather to warm up a little and get out on the road! I am looking to purchase some Klim Badlands jacket and pants......was advised against BMW clothing by the dealer who stated the Klim was a better product......anyone got any views on that?

Glenn Burrell

welcome

Welcome aboard. I am just an our north of you. I do get to the Raleigh area regularly so maybe we will run into each other on the road.

Welcome to the Forum

First off welcome to the forum and you've bought one of my dream bikes. I'll give you my impression of both KLIM and BMW gear.

I own a full KLIM Adventure suite, a BMW Streetguard II suit and a BMW Airshell and Airflow pants.

I have also owned Olympia and Hein Gericke in the past.

I prefer jackets with built in waterproofness.

I have never been down in any of this gear so my impression is only from a wearability viewpoint.

The KLIM Adventure jacket is my favorite 3 season jacket, it's comfortable although a little bulky compared to the Streetguard. The Streetguard is more comfortable but doesn't vent as well (although I think the Streetguard III has better venting). I find the BMW gear to wear a little more like a jacket vs. motorcycle gear. Both are equal in waterproofness.

I don't wear the pants to either suit because I usually wear a pair of FirstGear waterproof pants b/c they have full length leg zippers.

Both jackets get me to the mid 80's when I switch to the Airshell/Airflow combo for better venting. I add an LDrider evaporative shirt over about 95 degrees.

I have not tried or really looked at the Streetguard III as I am very happy with the KLIM.
    Wes Fitzer-MOA BoD - President
    BMWMOA 170126
    NE Oklahoma BMW Club; BMW Riders of Oklahoma
    2016 R1200GSA

Welcome to the board

Give me a shout if you come to the coast. I live on Pleasure island, just South of Wilmington. This state has some of the most varied riding you will find anywhere.

I wore a well used Belstaff for years. Then, at the rally in Bloomsburg, I could not stand the 100 + temps and broke down and bought a vented Scorpion jacket. It was expensive then, but now I have seen them on sale for $150.00. Money well spent for the NC summers.
    Jerry Dockery
    309 N. 3rd. Ave.
    Kure Beach, NC 28449
    2009 R 1200 RT,1996 R1100RT, 1985 K100RS...too fast to believe.

Thanks

Jerry,

thanks for the welcome note........we are planning to slowly migrate down to Wilmington as our business in Raleigh begins to be able to run itself, we are looking to buy a house there in the next 12 months and spending more time there but still maintaining a smaller home in Raleigh for work days. I will check out the Scorpion too.......thanks and hope to see you on the road sometime!

Glenn.

Give me a shout if you come to the coast. I live on Pleasure island, just South of Wilmington. This state has some of the most varied riding you will find anywhere.

I wore a well used Belstaff for years. Then, at the rally in Bloomsburg, I could not stand the 100 + temps and broke down and bought a vented Scorpion jacket. It was expensive then, but now I have seen them on sale for $150.00. Money well spent for the NC summers.[/QUOTE]

Welcome from the southern part of Carolina. Enjoy your new bike!
    Ken
    2004 R1150RT/2013 F800R
    MOA 144287
    IBA 33680

Welcome from Durham!

Welcome. Glad to have you here.

Thanks for being a member.

I live in flat S. IL but NC is one of my favorite places to ride. Really enjoy the Boone area.

Enjoy the new ride!