Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: "Who Wouldn't Want To Win This?"

Left Coast Rider
    I never buy lottery tickets unless the prize is well north of $100 million. I mean, anything less is hardly worth the trouble of winning. Sure, there's no tax on your winnings in Canada and they give me the whole lump sum but I've got to go down to the lottery office and pick up the cheque and then I have to go to the bank and deposit the winnings. And then there's all these people congratulating me and probably I have to get my picture in the paper or something. Nope, not worth it.

Owning a BCR is like winning the lotto.
    Marty Hill
    7 GS white

Ride till you can't

WNY, Further fron NYC, than 6 entire states!
    I will up oldslows offer. Buy a ticket to support the foundation, and if you win, I will double your $$ back on the ticket, and to save you the hassle of selling the bike, give you $7k cash to rid you of the ugliness, that is bring down your property values.

Like a few others, I don't understand the bashing of the 800, they are great motors! I first rode a F800ST in '07 and loved the feel, power and especially the fuel mileage! As far as the paint job, it doesn't do anything for me, but I don't consider it ugly either.
    2010 F800GS Full Ohlins package, '04 R1100S Replika
    '01 F650GS Wife's bike
    Maritime Alps and Vosges 2012
    Tuscany and Central Italy 2010

I bought 5 tickets for an SR1000 and extended membership couple years back, did not win anything and now I'm stuck reading lame posts on this forum for a couple more years. Ain't gonna fall for that again!
    1987 K75S
    Original litter
    Original owner
    2012 Ural Gear Up

Since the main objection here is the paint job and not the model itself, how much could it cost to repaint it?

You'd probably be on the hook for around $4,000 tax liability here in the USA. It all depends on an individual's tax situation as to how bad you'd feel it. That's tax liability, not necessarily hand over 4 grand out of your pocket. But it's possible.

So add what? $1500 to repaint the plastic bits. So would you still think this is a bad deal for you for $5500? Oh, I forgot, $5525.

Quote Originally Posted by ClassicVW View Post
    You'd probably be on the hook for around $4,000 tax liability here in the USA. It all depends on an individual's tax situation as to how bad you'd feel it. That's tax liability, not necessarily hand over 4 grand out of your pocket. But it's possible.

The MOA shows the bike is worth approx. $18,000, so I'm guessing you pay income tax on that value, not the list price. The income tax would be around $5,500 or more and then another $1,000 for sales tax depending what your State sales tax is.

Anyone remember what the list price was for a F800R? $11,000????

If I won the bike, I would probably remove the belly pan, unless it looks better in person, then paint the bike red.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Lee, it's all a guess unless you know someone's tax situation down to the penny.
    Mine's an educated guess though, since I won a bike valued at $17,500. For me,that $4,000 figure is accurate. There are a couple of ways around a state tax, I won't mention them here, and some states have zero tax.