Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: '14 RT Service Intervals

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    2,046

    '14 RT Service Intervals

    Reading a last year Rider magazine article, on Wethead GS, it appears typical throttle body sync service is now completed automatically via computer, is this correct? Also understand valve (checks) have moved to 12,000 mile intervals - correct? Is there any other "major" change is service schedule...besides going to (BMW recommended) synthetic 5W40 weight oil?

    I'd check the online manual for these items, but of course, BMW doesn't think owners should do any more than change its bikes light bulbs. LOL (really not so LOL)
    MOA #46783

  2. #2
    Tourmeister gr8ridn2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Kern Valley CA
    Posts
    260
    Quote Originally Posted by Motodan View Post
    Reading a last year Rider magazine article, on Wethead GS, it appears typical throttle body sync service is now completed automatically via computer, is this correct? Also understand valve (checks) have moved to 12,000 mile intervals - correct? Is there any other "major" change is service schedule...besides going to (BMW recommended) synthetic 5W40 weight oil?

    I'd check the online manual for these items, but of course, BMW doesn't think owners should do any more than change its bikes light bulbs. LOL (really not so LOL)
    Correct on the valve check intervals and throttle body sync. Also there is no belt drive for the alternator to replace. The spark plugs call for 12000 mile intervals but there are only two to replace so about the same as the previous replacement of 4 plugs every 24 k miles. No separate gear box service, oil from engine oil change handles that. Brake fluid flush is the same intervals as the late hex and cam heads. Other wise very similar to the previous models.
    2018 R1200RT W - Continent traveler
    2016 S1000XR - Smile Maker
    1976 R90/6 - Just Plain Fun

  3. #3
    Thank you for the service interval information. I found the information very helpful.

  4. #4
    Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Mansfield,MA
    Posts
    11,903
    Quote Originally Posted by Mickey1 View Post
    Thank you for the service interval information. I found the information very helpful.
    Welcome to the forum Mickey!

    For those of you that have questions on the service schedules, A quick trip to Kurt's Recourses and Links will give you the link to ASCycles....and here it is!
    http://www.ascycles.com/bmw_motorcyc...schedules.aspx
    It has been a great spot to find the maintenance schedules.
    Gary
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    2,046
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    Welcome to the forum Mickey!

    For those of you that have questions on the service schedules, A quick trip to Kurt's Recourses and Links will give you the link to ASCycles....and here it is!
    http://www.ascycles.com/bmw_motorcyc...schedules.aspx
    It has been a great spot to find the maintenance schedules.
    Gary
    My initial question was regarding '14 model...perhaps I missed it, but I didn't see a schedule listed for '14 model wethead
    MOA #46783

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    2,046
    Quote Originally Posted by gr8ridn2 View Post
    Correct on the valve check intervals and throttle body sync. Also there is no belt drive for the alternator to replace. The spark plugs call for 12000 mile intervals but there are only two to replace so about the same as the previous replacement of 4 plugs every 24 k miles. No separate gear box service, oil from engine oil change handles that. Brake fluid flush is the same intervals as the late hex and cam heads. Other wise very similar to the previous models.
    Thanks for the reply!
    MOA #46783

  7. #7
    Registered User lkchris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Albuquerque, NM
    Posts
    5,962
    Quote Originally Posted by gr8ridn2 View Post
    Correct on the valve check intervals and throttle body sync. Also there is no belt drive for the alternator to replace. The spark plugs call for 12000 mile intervals but there are only two to replace so about the same as the previous replacement of 4 plugs every 24 k miles. No separate gear box service, oil from engine oil change handles that. Brake fluid flush is the same intervals as the late hex and cam heads. Other wise very similar to the previous models.
    Spark plug change for hexheads is 24k miles. For camheads it's 12k miles. Camhead plugs are the next smaller size, i.e. 14 mm wrench vs 16 mm.
    Kent Christensen
    21482
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •