• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Boots - BMW All RoundRound

drubery

Western NY Rider
Boots - BMW All RoundRound (Need More Protection!)

While I love my BMW AllRound boots, I am looking to up the protection level for my ankles and paws. I'm not looking for an Alpine Stars Tech 10 level boot, but something in between those and where I am at now. I can only swing one pair of boots, so these will be used for all my riding. When I ride to work I take shoes with me, so work appropriate is not a requirement. I wear Motoport gear which has substantial shin protection, so I do not really need a lot of height, but I would prefer height and protection over going shorter than what I have now.

I'm on my third sport touring bike and I am a spirited rider. I do not aspire to dragging pegs on public roads, but judging from my chicken strips it could happen, but again it's not something I am intentionally shooting for.

If you were in a similar place at one time and now have a boot you would recommend; what do you ride in and how did you choose your current boots? What would have been your second choice?

Thanks!

Last edited:
While I love my BMW AllRound boots, I am looking to up the protection level for my ankles and paws. I'm not looking for an Alpine Stars Tech 10 level boot, but something in between those and where I am at now. I can only swing one pair of boots, so these will be used for all my riding. When I ride to work I take shoes with me, so work appropriate is not a requirement. I wear Motoport gear which has substantial shin protection, so I do not really need a lot of height, but I would prefer height and protection over going shorter than what I have now.

I'm on my third sport touring bike and I am a spirited rider. I do not aspire to dragging pegs on public roads, but judging from my chicken strips it could happen, but again it's not something I am intentionally shooting for.

If you were in a similar place at one time and now have a boot you would recommend; what do you ride in and how did you choose your current boots? What would have been your second choice?

Thanks!

Interesting question. I too have the all around boot and wear Motoport gear, stretch Kevlar with quad armour. And I too am looking to upgrade my boots.

In addition, I am also looking at switching from an 08RT to a 2014 R1200GSW.

Waterproof boots are important to me, and a non starter if they are not.

Boots I am considering are:

1 TCX Infinity GTX
2 Sidi Adventure Gore-tex
3 BMW Gravel Boot (new this year)
4 BMW Pro Riding Boot

You can see the first two here http://www.dualsportplus.com/category_s/1821.htm

I too would like to hear, read, people's responses.

Last edited:
I finally retired my old Sidi On Roads last year and after considerable research, invested in the Gaerne Balance Oiled. Wow. I have problem feet and they are WAY more comfortable (for me) with a wider forefoot than Sidi, better cushioning and a slightly more flexible sole. Easy to walk in and control on the bike. Rugged enough for off road adventure use, yet supple enough for sport touring. Fully waterproof, yet they breathe well in 100 deg heat too, which surprised me. Lastly, they come in a gorgeous dark brown oiled leather. Italy... Phenomenal boots and I can't say enough about them (obviously). I got them from Atomic Moto.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the responses. More I read on boots the more I want to spend. I know two people who had foot injuries, not on bikes, and they'll never be the same. Wearing Motoport and Arai I am not one to skimp. So many bones and complex moving parts to the foot and ankle. :scratch

Revzilla had a deal on PowerLet RapidFIRe jacket and while at it I pulled the trigger on boots and purchased the Alpinestars Toucan GTX Boots. Should be a significant improvement in foot/ankle protection without going to a full on MX boot.

[SUB][/SUB]
Revzilla had a deal on PowerLet RapidFIRe jacket and while at it I pulled the trigger on boots and purchased the Alpinestars Toucan GTX Boots. Should be a significant improvement in foot/ankle protection without going to a full on MX boot.

Let us know how you like them after you've had some mileage with them.

Just got a pair of A-Stars Web Gore-Tex boots. On sale now for $200 most places since they're being discontinued. I commute 560 miles weekly rain or shine and I am loving these boots so far (especially since we finally got some rain here in Cali). May buy a couple more pairs as backups while they are on sale.

They seem a great blend of comfortable, stiff, waterproof and warm when needed. Previously I've used Dainese TRQ Out boots (still keeping em for my sport bikes, though not using them much) as well as some cheapo Bilt waterproof boots I've used for commuting (taken advantage of the CG warranty on them several times).

I just stumbled upon this review by a retailer and of course it made me feel good that they really like the boot I just bought, but it also helped to reaffirm I may have also stumbled into a very good and protective pair of boots. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=946420&highlight=Alpinestars+Toucan

Still snowing in Western NY, but once the sand and salt is washed away I will definitely post a review of these boots. Thank you to those of you who provided feedback.

General comment....on protecting your feet

Did you know that 1/3 of all the bones in your body are in your feet? :blush I shudder when I see kids riding wearing sneakers.

Wear protective boots for your feet and ankles at all times!:nono

Carry On.

Rec'd the Toucans today, the difference in protection when compared to the AllRounds is almost laughable. The boots are extremely comfortable and I can't wait to try them on the bike, unfortunately that may be awhile. It was -11 F Thursday AM and we still have a ton of salt on the roads, until we have some good rain to wash that away the bike will remain tucked away.

Back