• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

R1150RT (2004) Headlights Out

Bill Lumberg
This morning when I set out for my commute, at the bottom of the driveway, I noticed that I had no headlight. No low beam, no high beam. Euro switch was in the on position. Actuating high/low and euro switch had no effect. To be honest, I have noticed a couple of times on startup that I had a weak highbeam instrument light on, on the instrument display, even though I was in lowbeam mode. Switching the beam switch back and forth once or twice resulted in the dim light going away, and then things functioned normally. This may or may not have the slightest thing to do with having no lights this morning. All other startup functions, indicators, and lights function normally. Your thoughts appreciated.

Switch

Sounds like you need to research the functioning of that Euro switch. Do a wire wiggle test on the wires coming out of it. Do you have the origional switch? Plugging it in would tell you if it's the switch. Could be the wire connectors of course and that you can service with some contact cleaner and a plug-unplug cycle or two.

This morning when I set out for my commute, at the bottom of the driveway, I noticed that I had no headlight. No low beam, no high beam. Euro switch was in the on position. Actuating high/low and euro switch had no effect. To be honest, I have noticed a couple of times on startup that I had a weak highbeam instrument light on, on the instrument display, even though I was in lowbeam mode. Switching the beam switch back and forth once or twice resulted in the dim light going away, and then things functioned normally. This may or may not have the slightest thing to do with having no lights this morning. All other startup functions, indicators, and lights function normally. Your thoughts appreciated.

When the common ground connection fails just below the lamps, neither high or low beam works, but the Hi Beam indicator comes on. The ground failure is not unusual.
RB

Parking lamp works. No headlight. High beam indicator stays lit.
When the common ground connection fails just below the lamps, neither high or low beam works, but the Hi Beam indicator comes on. The ground failure is not unusual.
RB

Switch is the original switch. Not sounding like that's it though. Will keep the contact /plug-unplug in mind.
Sounds like you need to research the functioning of that Euro switch. Do a wire wiggle test on the wires coming out of it. Do you have the origional switch? Plugging it in would tell you if it's the switch. Could be the wire connectors of course and that you can service with some contact cleaner and a plug-unplug cycle or two.

Is your bike European-built, with original European headlight switch?
That configuration was as best I could figure out for R1100 (maybe not your R1150RT '04):

Headlight Switch Position:
1. Off
2. Instrument lights
3. Instrument lights and hi/lo beam per other switch

Hi/Lo Rocker Switch:
Center: lo beam, only if other switch is full on
High: (momentary) Flash high beam, regardless of other switch position
Low: (detented): hi beam only, and only if headlight switch is full on

I would be glad to hear any comment or correction from European R bike owners.

USA-built R1150RT in 2004 and later have fuses for high and low beam (F8 and F9), you've probably checked that.

Same problem on my 04 RT-P

Bad grounding wire as others have said. George at BUA added another ground wire and that solved the problem.

Similar problem with my 04RT. Headlight assy replaced not once but three times under warranty in first year of ownership (bought new in 04). The ground for the h/l system consisted of some flaky copper strips that burned out and made replacement ot the 400.00 light necessary.

Dealer blamed my Kisan modulator and after I removed it there were no further problems.

also ...

Bad grounding wire as others have said. George at BUA added another ground wire and that solved the problem.

... and there were a couple other related issues that were fixed at the same time as the bad ground wire: high beam bulb holder was worn, Kisan headlight modulator is damaged.

Similar problem with my 04RT. Headlight assy replaced not once but three times under warranty in first year of ownership (bought new in 04). The ground for the h/l system consisted of some flaky copper strips that burned out and made replacement ot the 400.00 light necessary.

Dealer blamed my Kisan modulator and after I removed it there were no further problems.

Mine said it was the clear headlight protector that caused mine to fail.:whistle

Is your bike European-built, with original European headlight switch?
That configuration was as best I could figure out for R1100 (maybe not your R1150RT '04):

Headlight Switch Position:
1. Off
2. Instrument lights
3. Instrument lights and hi/lo beam per other switch

Hi/Lo Rocker Switch:
Center: lo beam, only if other switch is full on
High: (momentary) Flash high beam, regardless of other switch position
Low: (detented): hi beam only, and only if headlight switch is full on

I would be glad to hear any comment or correction from European R bike owners.

USA-built R1150RT in 2004 and later have fuses for high and low beam (F8 and F9), you've probably checked that.
USA and euro bikes have same wiring, they just left off the headlight switch on USA versions. You can easily buy and plug one in to your USA model.

Position 2 of headlight switch is "parking lights," which includes taillight and the little bulb in the headlight and, yes the instruments. Position 3 is all of above plus power to the beam selector. Power for the flash portion of the selector is entirely separate, as you can flash with headlight off. On some if not all German cars, you can "flash" even with ignition off, but motorcycles are too vulnerable to tampering for this.

And of course, all Oilheads are German-built, some just built there to USA requirements.

USA and euro bikes have same wiring, they just left off the headlight switch on USA versions. You can easily buy and plug one in to your USA model.
I've been trying for a long time to draw this "same wiring" in an understandable way. My current diagrams attempt to show the alternative European switch but it is not complete. Any source for a good schematic would be appreciated. i couldn't get much from Haynes or Clymer or even BMW drawings.
Position 2 of headlight switch is "parking lights," which includes taillight and the little bulb in the headlight and, yes the instruments.
I think you're right. Again, it's very hard to draw this circuit especially since 2002 oilheads and later have the taillight controlled by the ABS module.
And of course, all Oilheads are German-built, some just built there to USA requirements.
Yes, I meant "built-for-USA", when I wrote "USA-built".

Thanks for info.

Hello Bill, did you find your defect?
If not you can check your ground connector inside the head light. For some reason the ground wire burns out and leaves your lights dead. Probably the loose connector contact and the high amps (ground for fog,high and low beam) are the problem. The picture shows my head light (upside down). My 2004 reacted just like yours.
By the way, all the lights get ground only thru the brown cable from connector X9010 (ground=brown, fog=greyblack, high beam=white/yellow, low beam=white) under the upper front trim panel (disconnected cable in picture).
For more electric trouble shooting the diagrams from Mac-Pac are a helpful tool http://www.mac-pac.org/tech/electrical-diagrams/

Attachments

• IMG_0665.jpg
    IMG_0665.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 172
  • IMG_0762.JPG
    IMG_0762.JPG
    116.1 KB · Views: 173
I believe the R1100 didn't have the light circuits fused. On the R1150 every light (low, high, fog) has it's own fuse.
Bill, did you have a chance to check your bike?

Back