• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Classic Bavarian Bagger

Gotta little more motivated and drilled out the rivets and removed the ID plate. Just the 2 races in the steering neck and the race in the steering neck to remove. Hopefully I'll be home Friday for hanger day. Those will be removed. Rick aka Flyboy #1 is good at fork rebuilds. Maybe get those dissasembled and parts ordered for reassembly. Got some momemtum going. My wheelwright called, he's got all the parts to finish the wheels. I hope to get over for that assembly. Will start gathering up parts that will be chromed. Those will be done at Memphis Plating downtown. Will go by Applied Bearings and get the 2 new steering bearings. I've got the drivers to drive the races in. Working with another buddy on beadblasting the frame. Much more to do. Feelin better about the build. I think a glass White Zinfandel is in order.

Just realized that the wheelsmith can't finish the job, as I've still got the rear rim. Still sitten in a box by the front door. So I will be part of the wheel assembly. Polished out the lower steering fork, lookin good.

Sitten around feeling sorry for myself about not being at Barber wasn't goin to accomplish a thing. Dragged out a old hot plate and heated the lower fork up to 400 degrees. Got some prybars out and with some gentle persuasion and a few choice words removed the bearing and race off the lower fork assembly. Felt pretty good to do it without heliarc welder or pullers. Cleaned up the upper fork yoke. The two large fork spring retainers and the large chrome top retainer crown nut look a little weathered and beat. Will look into replacing them. Just movin along with the job. :groovy

Seperated the final drive from the swingarm. Had the intention of being at the hanger yesterday to pull the races out of the frame and swingarm. But it wasn't to be. Thought I would do a little something this weekend. Looks like it will take a real puller to seperate the bell housing off the driveshaft ans seperate from the swingarm housing. Got flyboy #1 working on that. Hansens in Medford, Or. welded up and machined the old splines in the final drive. My buddy Leo shimed up the final drive to proper spec. To me this bike is all about a cool old school look, but I want all the critical important parts that arn't seen to perform properly as like new condition. This isn't just a cosmetic resto..

Timesert R90 head

Ran across this head in my pile of stuff. An R90/6 head I did years ago. Threads were messed up, so I fixed it with a timesert. This is a good fix for bad thread problem. Beats the heck out of a helicoil. I'll try to get a better pic tomorrow. Just throwin this in as an extra. I get questions about fixxen heads quite often. Showin a good redone head next to a used up head is agood way to do it. Picture is worth a 1000 words. Will take a better pic tomorrow for show and tell.

Sparkplug timesert

These pics may show a better view of the timesert. A good fix for sparkplugs that have been stripped out or cross threaded. Hopefully the hanger is open Friday and will get the forks dissasembled and parts ordered. Also, will finish the dissasembly of the frame and swingarm. Movin forward with the speed of a turtle.

Front forks and brake

Needed to do something on the build. Pulled the front forks out. Dissasembled the right leg pretty much. The fork oil actually looked pretty good for 22 years old. Decided I would keep the left leg together untill the other leg was done. I did take the disc caliper off and dissasemble. Yep, as expected pretty much sludge. Grabbed a can of brake somethinoranother. Brake squeal. That's the blue stuff in the puck reseroir. Gotta look closer at the cans and bottles. Good way to get in trouble. No break cleaner, so I walked a block down to Autozone. 2 large bottles for $6. Called my buddy Don up in Cape Gerrydo.:nono He was at GrassRoots and turned in my parts list for a fork rebuild to the parts dept. Will call them back and add to the list the break stuff. Pulled the seal out and cleaned out the reservoir. I think my buddy Marshall has another good caliper for the 2nd disc. Full turtle speed ahead.

Back