• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Classic Bavarian Bagger

The old rear wheel

Kinda bored. Still too cold to be out in the garage working. This is the old wheel, I was going to clean up and use. New splined hub and tire. I bolted a new hub in and mounted a Contenintal K112. got to looking at the at the hub and decided that it didn't look good enough for this build. I had already decided to use a more modern tire anyway. This is still a good wheel and tire and I'll use it on another project. Maybe on a restomod bobber style build I've been thinking about. I did the bolt drive ring on years ago and ran it on the bike 30,000 miles with no problems. Still waitin on my new rim.

Behr Rim

The rim is a nice lookin peice. Pretty much mimicks the Weimann. Differance is the Weinmann logo is stamped on the center outside of rim and the BMW logo and pertinent info stamped on the inside tire side of the rim. The Behr rim's info stamped on the on the outside visible side of the rim. When you dissaemble a motorcycle completely like this you get to handle all the individual parts; original, new, used, rebuilt, and it really familiarize's you with the bike. I've done more than several bikes and it never ceases to amaze me. I was going to use a new Akront rim, but by the time you buy the rim, get it drilled and polished, it's no bargain. The Behr rim I got is most likely the same as what the Max BMW R90S build got. I feel a small connection, :brow

People, Places, Business's, Endless Stories, and More

A bike build is all that and more. Gotta thank Don Quales. Met Don up at Glacier National Park, both of us attending the '98 MOA Missoula National. Don does some sideline work helping out GrassRoots BMW up in Cape. GR had the best price on the rim. Don came down and picked up a new BMW motorcycle from Performance Plus BMW in Memphis and dropped off the rim, free shipping for me. Then delivered the bike up to Grassroots. Needed a front tire and Don told me years ago that Al's Cycle Center in North little Rock, Ar. had the best prices. That's where my Metzler Lazertec came from. Got my Timken wheel bearings from Applied bearings in Memphis on Crump Blvd.. That's the old Dixie Bearing Co. Been getting my bearings there for years. Got the rubber wheel strips from Freedom Cycle across the hiway from me. The stainless steel spokes/nipples come from Bob's BMW up in Jessup, Md. Bought those over 10 years ago for this build. Tubes from Cycle Gear in Memphis. Final drive ring/hubb and rivits from performance Plus BMW/Memphis. Yep, endless hours on the computer, texting, calling, talking, driving, waiting, cleaning, planning, fixxen, building, hi's, lows, excitement, dissapointment, going crazy. It's a bike build. :thumb. ps This is just the wheels and tires. :laugh

wheel bearing install and wheel assembly up next

Just got off the phone with my buddy, time to assemble the hub bearings and internals. Then spoke the rim to the hub. He has a nice trueing stand and is an expert at it. I'll take over all the little jigs I fabbed up to to set the preload on the bearings. Slow going but moving forward. Yesterday, I adjusted the valves on Silver Streak/Snail, time for a break, a ride, and maybe a taste of Delta Blush.:drink

King of the Road / Vintage Bavarian Bagger

Really enjoyed the King of the Road feature on Perry King and his BMW's. Got to to lookin at your '68 R69US with big Harleyesque solo springer seat, shapely bulbous Enduro bags, original Avus black paint and white coach line pinstripes in that proper weathered patina. My kinda bike, Cool. Perry, You Da Man. :brow ps Any time your in Memphis give me call, Rendevous Ribs, Bikes on Beale, My Treat. Barry

The Rollin Chassis

Finally got around to pulling the chassis out and taking a few pics. Kinda sad to see the bike lookin like this, but better days are coming.

Before Pics

OK, got the before pics done. Now lookin forward to the after pics. Found the Lesters back in the shed, so I could roll the carcass out. They came off another sadsack R90 parts bike I acquired years ago. Gotta get started on stripping it down to bare metal.

Got my tires and tubes and wheel strips. Front Metzler Lasertec 3.25x19V Rear Metzler Perfect ME99A 4.00-18V May upgrade tubes to German brand all natural rubber. Anyway, bike will be well shod. Hopefully the wheels and tires will be mated together shortly.

Back