• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Classic Bavarian Bagger

View attachment 52511
This shows the upper cross bar will be cut out and lowered to match the old stand. You like seeing all those custom bikes in The BMW Motorcycle Magazine. My bike is only slightly customized, this is just to show how much work goes into those builds they do. Bmw riders actually do a lot of customization. Most of it is directed to cross country touring. :thumb

The center stand is over getting cut and sectioned out, rewelded at the fabricator. :thumb

Springer Seat Mount

Picture 4761.jpg
Picture 4764.jpg
got the mount back, it's pretty rough. Gotta a lot of disc grinding, sanding, filing, painting to do. Yikes. I really feel I need the two outrigger bolts to support the mount are neccessary to hold the seat firmly. Yep, more work. kinda feel like I'm going in reverse

Center Stand Modification

Picture 4766.jpg
Picture 4768.jpg
Had the fabricator section out the upper crossbar and reweld it in lower. I'm running a Breil Oil cooler, which fits between the bottom of the engine block and the oil pan in a pancake kinda fashion. The center stand can not swing thru it's arc as the upper cross bar hits it. This necessitates the crossbar relocation. More grinding, filing, sanding and painting. The welder did one thing I liked. He added the threaded rod and supported the legs and kept them from twisting from the heat of the welds. Modifyng BMw's can be a pain in the ass. Hopefully the end results are worth it. :)

A lLittle Oldl School Hand Work

It's a nice day and I had a little free time on my hand. Thought I might do a little work on the center stand. Old school grunt work. Pulled out some of my collection of metal files. Time for some what machinist call bench work. Files and file cards

Attachments

• Picture 4918.jpg
    Picture 4918.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 172
Files

Files had some great names. Flat Smooth, Flat Bastard, Mill Bastard, Half Round, Rat Tail. Back in machine shop 101, that day allways got some laughs from young wannebe machine shop students. Most of these were Nicholson Files, good stuff American made.
Picture 4917.jpg

Picture 4912.jpg
Picture 4913.jpg
Picture 4923.jpg
Good progress, nothing exciting, just stuff that has to happen to get to the fun stuff. Got some more filing, then probably grinding wirh an air powered die grinder and maybe a dremal tool and sand paper. most likely will bead blast the area for a better finish. Like I said grunt work.

I'm getting a little disgusted with my slow snailpaced progess on the build. Was looking at the frame, reached in the neck and felt the thickness of the steering neck with my fingers. It's more than thick enough to tap some fine threads in there to hold the ID badge. I don't need timeserts. The holes are about 0.140 diam.; a 8x32 fine thread tap requires a 0.1360 drill size hole. close enough. Went over to the neigborhood hardware store and got a couple of SS 8-32 fine threaded screws. Got my tap and die set out and tapped both holes.
Picture 4934.jpg
Picture 4935.jpg

Picture 4936.jpg
Picture 4937.jpg
Just about perfect. Perfect enough for me. Will get my little bead blast kit out and give the frame and some of those parts a lite dusting and I'll be just about ready for some paint. Sometimes I just over think the small stuff. Time to move this project along. :thumb

Another Long Delay

Yep; the long lost thread reappears. The rebuild has been dormant. Last Sunday went over to one of my music hangouts in Memphis; Hueys Bar&Grill on Madison Av.. Got a bite to eat, downed a couple of cold ones, set in on some good local Memphis, music. Actually set in and listened to a couple of good bands, really good stuff. My buddy Peter Guldan came in with his wife Jan. Peter did the paint work on my R90 back in '91. Did a great job. The bike turned out pretty good. So good, I rode the heck out of the bike, I couldn't stay off of it. It got a little rough. I kept accumulating all sorts of new add ons to dress the bike up even more. Started riding other bikes.

Went over and basically told Peter the same sad spiel. Bike basically stripped to bare metal, waiting for new paint job. I guess I had a long sad face. Peter was smilin, just nodding his head up and down. 'Barimore, 'Ol Buddy'; U want me to paint your bike again. Well Peter; kinda sorta. That paint job was so nice; I really can't ask U to paint it again. ' If U can wait till this Spring, I'd like to paint your bike again. Yeah, Peter you da man.

Peter, does his painting out side. So the weather has to be almost perfect. Warmer temp and no wind. I'm willing to wait. Glad painting the frame now has a plan. :)

Back