Thread: Front Wheel Orientation - 1992 R100RT

Front Wheel Orientation - 1992 R100RT

I have started putting things back together after rebuilding my front end. Started cleaning the front wheel and I noticed that the PO must have marked on the rim an arrow for the tire installation which appear in the opposite direction to what the Metzler is now. In looking at the rim, one side of the rim has the foundry casting marks, while the other is clean with no markings. My question is, does the rim need to be installed with the casing markings on the right side (as an example) while the left side with no markings on the left side.
    Rick MacPherson
    Success is Not a Destination, But a Journey.
    Accredited Motorcycle Appraiser
    1968 BSA Starfire, 1976 BMW R75/6, 1992 R100RT, 2009 R1200RT

No. In cases where wheels are directional, there are arrows cast in but that is only on newer bikes. Convention is to have the front match the rear with respect to the lettering, but it's not technically significant on that era bike as far as I know.

'99 '03 '06 National Co-Rally Chair Friedle's Avatar

Orientation

Quote Originally Posted by b25bsaboy View Post
    I have started putting things back together after rebuilding my front end. Started cleaning the front wheel and I noticed that the PO must have marked on the rim an arrow for the tire installation which appear in the opposite direction to what the Metzler is now. In looking at the rim, one side of the rim has the foundry casting marks, while the other is clean with no markings. My question is, does the rim need to be installed with the casing markings on the right side (as an example) while the left side with no markings on the left side.

Assuming the spacers and bearings aew correctly installed, the wheel doesn't care which way it spins or rotates....the tire does care which way it rotates. Check the directional arrow molded on the tire sidewall. If mismounted, you can only travel in reverse.

Friedle
    Ride fast safely