• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Sena SMH10 users

Tonyfr

Are we there yet?
There is a firmware update for the SMH10 (V5.0). Changes made from version 4.3 to 5.0

• Universal IntercomTM
  • Advanced Noise ControlTM
  • Sidetone
  • Ultra HD Voice RecordingTM for PRISM and Bluetooth Audio Pack
  • Minor bug fixes in intercom volume

Instructions for using the new feature are in the Sena User Guide V5.01. You can only get the update and user guide if you have registered with Sena. There is also a new firmware loader - V1.4.4

Hopefully this addresses the issues we've had with the SMH10's failing to operate after we use the intercom more than twice.

Getting tired of having to stop, turn everything off (have a Sena SM10 under the seat) and then reconnect.

Have sent this issue to Sena over 6 months ago and have no response.

Seriously considering going with Autocom SPA as I should have done.

What was your previous firmware level? You may also need to update the SM10R under your seat.

Last edited:
Looking to pick up a speaker system for my Schuberth and it sounds like the Sena is the most recommended. I think I read somewhere that there is an updated version. What is the newest version that is a good match for my Schuberth/R1200RT?
Planning on starting the year doing a Saddlesore 1000 and even though I am having no problem using the built in speaker system on the bike, I would like to go to a helmet system.

Thanks

There is a new model (SMH10R), that is slimmer than the SMH10. Talk time and standby time is a little shorter than the SMH10, but it is firmware upgradeable. Difference between the two:

• The SMH10R has a smaller form factor and operates using only 3 buttons, the plus (+) button, the center button, and the minus (-) button.
  • The battery for the SMH10R is external and can be installed on the backside of the helmet whereas the SMH10 has an internal battery.
  • The SMH10R comes with the Universal Microphone kit whereas the SMH10 comes in two different packages, the Speaker- Microphone Clamp Unit - Basic Kit (SMH10-10) or the Speaker-Microphone Clamp Unit with Universal Microphone Clamp Kit (SMH10-11).

There is a new model (SMH10R), that is slimmer than the SMH10. Talk time and standby time is a little shorter than the SMH10, but it is firmware upgradeable. Difference between the two:

• The SMH10R has a smaller form factor and operates using only 3 buttons, the plus (+) button, the center button, and the minus (-) button.
  • The battery for the SMH10R is external and can be installed on the backside of the helmet whereas the SMH10 has an internal battery.
  • The SMH10R comes with the Universal Microphone kit whereas the SMH10 comes in two different packages, the Speaker- Microphone Clamp Unit - Basic Kit (SMH10-10) or the Speaker-Microphone Clamp Unit with Universal Microphone Clamp Kit (SMH10-11).

Battery life is 4-5 hours when I'm using "R" model with ear plugs for music (louder volumes). Get a full day of riding with wife if using as intercom. Ymmv

[*]The battery for the SMH10R is external and can be installed on the backside of the helmet whereas the SMH10 has an internal battery.

Plus, the SMH10 battery is non-replaceable according to Sena. The external battery could make the newer model a bargain in the long run. N.b. I haven't had the battery die yet in my SMH10...

Good info. About how long does the SMH10 battery last after a fresh charge? You said it is non-replaceable!! That means you have to buy a new unit or do you send your SMH10 back to Sena for them to replace the battery?

Another important question. Where is the best place to buy the SMH10?????? Revzilla, local BMW dealer....etc????

I've used the SMH10 for phone, GPS, music and audio books during 10-12 hour days and never ran out of battery. With an adapter you can use it while charging. SENA says the battery is not replaceable, but it has been out at least two years and I have not yet heard of anyone needing a replacement. I found the best price at Revzilla. Not necessarily cheaper than anywhere else, but excellent service I can count on. Sena offers the only product I can think of that has added features after the initial purchase. Keep in mind that the Sena 20S will be out soon with much greater intercom range and FM radio.

I usually get an email that there is an update...I haven't gotten one since I updated last time for 4.3 in November. Hm... :scratch

Plus, the SMH10 battery is non-replaceable according to Sena. The external battery could make the newer model a bargain in the long run. N.b. I haven't had the battery die yet in my SMH10...
I've had mine for nearly three years now and it hasn't died. I usually get 10-12 hours steady use from mine. I did read somewhere that a guy did replace the battery in a SMH10

For anyone that's upgraded, how's it working for you? I'm always reluctant to change something that's working perfectly for me but the new features may make this worthwhile for me if the bugs are all out of it.

Wes

I did the firmware upgrade and I like the Sidetone feature. I can hear what I sound like when using the phone.

For anyone that's upgraded, how's it working for you? I'm always reluctant to change something that's working perfectly for me but the new features may make this worthwhile for me if the bugs are all out of it.

Wes
Used it twice since the upgrade. No issues at all so far.
Regards

Upgrade on a Mac was without a hitch and both units communicated perfectly (my wife and I use the intercom). In addition it paired to my cell phone for both phone calls and music. Actually find the unit is less quirky than it was before the update. Haven't paired it to the GPS yet.

Upgrade only works for versions with the USB power plug. If you have the pin power plug (like mine) no upgrade available.

I did the firmware upgrade and I like the Sidetone feature. I can hear what I sound like when using the phone.

Our Autocomm set-up did this anyways, so I missed it with the Sena

Helen asked why would she want to hear herself :scratch

I said I have to, so why not:whistle

my ribs hurt a bit now!:hungover

What was your previous firmware level? You may also need to update the SM10R under your seat.
Previous firmware on SMH10's was v4.3_rc1

Firmware on SM10 is current at v1.1 dated October 7, 2012. You can see they are not putting much into this unit.:scratch

Back