• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

knocking and rattling 2012 rt

galaxie

yesterday I started my 2012 rt after it set for about three months,it knocked for about 10 seconds,this concern me because it never did this before,oil light never came on,has anyone else did this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like the cam chain tensioner. The oil could have drained out and had to build back up, or it may have been sticky after setting. If it does not come back I would not worry about it. The boxers all sound like a bucket-of-bolts the first couple of seconds.

Hi Galaxie..

Please look at: http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?46055 - I'll add the info to the thread title. It has some significance since there are two engines that are represented in this forum.

As the others suggested - timing chain tensioner - oil drainback. Some oils seem more resistant to this than others..

All:

I would add to this that putting the bike away with CLEAN oil that's run for a short while in the bike is best for storing. You don't need to change again when you take it out of storage.

The reasons are these: You need clean oil in the bike because dirty oil gets impurities in it that can eat at things in your engine as well as gum up things like the timing chain tensioner.

You don't need to change oil again in the Spring because you're simply storing oil inside your engine...about the same as storing it in a bottle.

There may be a case for changing in Spring if you store your bike where there are massive temperature changes that could cause a lot of condensation inside the motor. That can create acid in the oil and eat bearings but fresh oil is pretty good at resisting that and a lot of that water will boil off when you run the bike.

Best thing of all is to ride your bike at least 10 miles about once a month. This is the first year I haven't done that. I'm hoping for the best when I start mine up this year.

Back