• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

'92 K75RT engine lifespan ?

Before you go to all the expense and trouble of changing the engine, did you check the valve adjustment? What was the result?

:dance:dance:dance

When they did the leakdown test where did they determine the air was going?

- crankcase past rings?
- exhaust past valve?
- intake tract past valve?

Or did they fail to bother to do the test completely?

Paul- I was told it was leaking into the crankcase through the piston rings but will verify with the technician on Monday.
Thanks for continued support and suggestions.

Technician reconfirmed today that the air is escaping past the piston rings and through the crankcase breather- it looks like replacing the engine is going to be my best option.
Ian.

valve adjustment

Hi Lee,
Forgive me if this sounds flippant (I ask questions on here to gain knowledge that I don't have/ understand) but my tech guy said that once he'd confirmed the excessive leakdown on cylinder #3 then checking the valve clearances was redundant. If you think I should still go ahead and check them then I shall do that- I was acting on the advice of someone who I trust but that doesn't mean his advice is perfect. To be fair he would have stood to gain more money if he had had recommended my doing the valve check procedure....
I (and many others I'm sure) am always grateful for advice given on here and will continue to make use of the experience of my peers.
Cheers,
Ian.

A tight valve would allow leakage into the air box (for intake valve) or into the exhaust (for exhaust valve). If it is leaking into the crankcase then valve adjustment is moot. Either way it's time for a good visual inspection and new rings or a new piston or both. It's not as hard as you think.:)

update on my engine transplant.

It's been a while but I finally have an update on my K75's engine replacement- I was able to get it done at a local (non-BMW) dealership where I get my tyres changed etc. The workshop manager took a special interest in the job and even allowed me to assist him with a large portion of the work, reducing the labour cost and giving me some welcome experience on the inner workings of my engine.
I'm thrilled to say that the transplant was a success and after a couple of 300 mile rides this weekend I can happily report that my bike is once more giving me a respectable 50 mpg at around 60-65 mph. :) Naturally the job did go a bit over budget but it made sense to replace worn parts as we found them- clutch plates, valve seals, main crankcase seal, fuel hose etc. We also dismantled the top end and polished the valves, seats etc. and replaced the seals.
The next part of the project is to dismantle the original engine and find out what went wrong, but for now the "Blue Beast" is back in action and ready for the trip to the Rally next month.
Thanks to all who have shared advice- I'll be following up with comments and pictures when we strip down the old unit.
Cheers,
Ian.

Just for giggles, before you dismantle the original engine, check the valve clearances, especially the exhausts.

:dance:dance:dance

Checking the valves does not require any special tools and is a simple procedure anyone can do. All you need is $10 feeler gauges that you can get at any automotive supply and a hour or so when the bike has rested for a day.

I held off doing it for almost a year when I was new to the K75. I checked and discovered my exhaust valves were very tight. Replacing the shims is quick and simple but does require new shims and a $28 tool pair from Kenneth Lively polepenhollow@yahoo.com. Replacing my valve shims instantly and dramatically improved performance on my bike and brought me from 37mpg to 45mpg.

In the last 45k miles I've done the procedure twice. I've calculated that I've got about another 35k miles before it will become impossible to adjust the exhaust valves anymore. FWIW my cylinder #3's valve is the most worn.

Back