• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

"consumer reports" ...well, reports

That's why I am committed from now on to own either a Honda or Toyota (automobiles).

Better make sure they aren't produced in Japan and you might consider selling that Beemer.

If you're going to be pure, you best be completely pure....

Getting back to the topic..... I think the CR article is completely worthless.

First they mention they are counting " serious problems " or " major repair " then they go on to say most problems only cost $200 or less to fix. And, since BMW has a 36 month warranty, these things shouldn't cost the owner a cent. Since other manufacturers offer a 12 month warranty, SO, are we comparing BMWs that are in their 4th year to a 2 yr old other manufacturer? And everyone knows a 4 year old BMW has been ridden a lot more miles than a 2 year old Harley!

And, if we are talking $200 or less to repair, I'll say the BMW repairs were for things like faulty handlebar switches and fuel strips, hardly what I would consider a " major repair ". Niggling issues, yes, but " serious problems "? I think not.

We will be burying our heads in the proverbial sand if we do not acknowledge that BMW has been having some serious issues. What percentage of bikes have been affected by FD failures, ABS system failures and fuel system failures I do not know. However, incidents of such failures seem to be more pervasive then one would expect judging by the numbers reported on the various fora. As I stated before, I am on a couple of FJR fora and they do not seem to have the same level of complaints reported. Certainly just anecdotal info, but that's really all we can get other then the CR report. We have three BMWs in our shop and they have been very reliable, but I think it is fair to say that BMW no longer merits being considered on the top of the reliability ladder. Other manufacturers are producing very high quality machines these days and as a result most bikes are reliable, even those towards the bottom of the ladder. Where BMW stacks up I do not know. I have problems with the CR article and I am a long time subscriber to CR, but I do not think CR allowed for some important variables, most of which have been mentioned already.

I've never owned a motorcycle that has had as many issues as my oilhead. But I've also never had a bike I loved to ride so much that I averaged 500 miles a week either. Partly just a more problem prone brand. But a big part is putting serious miles on it instead of weekend cruising. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Back