• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

If I wasn't convinced before...

redsky49

I am certainly convinced now.

Anything involving a snow board, while sometimes mildly amusing, is not a legitimate sport and has as much right to be in the Olympics as curling, synchronized swimming and rhythmic gymnastics. :nyah :hide

Anything involving a snow board, while sometimes mildly amusing, is not a legitimate sport and has as much right to be in the Olympics as curling, synchronized swimming and rhythmic gymnastics. :nyah :hide

Definitely...only "athletic sports" such as ping pong should be allowed. The "sports" allowed in the Olympics are based on ratings, just like everything else that's put on television...has nothing to do with being a legitimate sport (whoever's definition were using for that - today.)

Snowboarding is of little interest to me. It does, however, appear to require a high level of fitness, athletic ability and training. I really think flat tracking should be added as an Olympic event.

I've been an avid skier for over 35 years, and although I don't consider myself an expert skier, I'm pretty good at it. I've even had the pleasure to ski with a couple of Olympic hopefuls over the years and managed to keep up with them during several run to the bottom races... Having said that, I've tried snowboarding a couple of times over the years, and I have to hand it to those folks that can do what they do on those boards. The last time I tried, I had a couple of new skiers with me, and we went up Peak 9 at Breckenridge in Colorado. My thinking was that since my wife was a new skier, that I would have plenty of time to snowboard down with them..... Bad idea.... After about 3 hours of falling on my behind every 30 or so feet of down hill, completely exhausted from all the effort to get back up, and suffering the humiliation from my wife and her friend, I ended up sitting on the board and riding it down the mountain like a snow sled with my feet sticking out in front of me to maintain control.... When I got to the bottom, I looked like a giant snowball from the snow being kicked up by my feet,and found everyone staring at me....
So, I take my hat off to the snowboarders for their skill at balance and daring.....:thumb

dedication

Doesn't make the slightest bit of difference what I think of snowboarding. These athletes are as dedicated as any other. I've heard that some folks disapprove of motorcycling. Somethings are better kept to ourselves.

Doesn't make the slightest bit of difference what I think of snowboarding. These athletes are as dedicated as any other. I've heard that some folks disapprove of motorcycling. Somethings are better kept to ourselves.

Hmm. I think the right to express one's disdain for snowboarding is on parity with one's right to think it should be kept to ones' self.

Personally, I think the snow boarders show more athletic talent than the sliders.

All the sliders have to do is stay in the groove for the take off sprint, flop down on the thing without turning it over, and then stay flat on sled until they get to the bottom. If the stars are right and they don't unwittingly snag a toe and create drag they might get there 1/100ths of a second faster than the other guy and win.

Eh?

Hmm. I think the right to express one's disdain for snowboarding is on parity with one's right to think it should be kept to ones' self.

Yes, voicing ones opinions is a cherished activity in the west. I don't feel that negates responsibility for consideration of ones speech in advance of spouting off. A big problem can occur in influencing others that are not up to speed on a topic, also it can negatively impact the subjects state of mind. Ever try to do something complex while distracted, and the more important the doing the easier the distraction.

On the other hand, it sure would be boring if everyone kept to themselves.

Snowboarding is of little interest to me. It does, however, appear to require a high level of fitness, athletic ability and training. I really think flat tracking should be added as an Olympic event.

Oh HELL NO!! ...on that last sentence. If that happens all the yuppies will start watching / attending and ticket prices will soar to the point that I won't be able to afford to go.....:violin

I personally agree with the John Madden Theory of Sports: It ain't a REAL sport if it requires judges or awards style points. (my paraphrase)

I personally agree with the John Madden Theory of Sports: It ain't a REAL sport if it requires judges or awards style points. (my paraphrase)

Got your drift, but every sport has judges, aka: refs, umps, marshals...boxing, baseball, basketball, football (field judge)...whatever. But yes, "or awards style points"...I agree there.

Definitely...only "athletic sports" such as ping pong should be allowed. The "sports" allowed in the Olympics are based on ratings, just like everything else that's put on television...has nothing to do with being a legitimate sport (whoever's definition were using for that - today.)

Which is why freestyle wrestling was discontinued. Makes me wonder if HS and college athletics will continue to sponsor the sport since the olympics no longer have it.:scratch

Agreed! If physical ability or skill is the sole criteria, why not include bull riding, mountaineering and bowling?
I think the original "faster, higher, stronger" description says it all.

As to whether I can even state my opinion on this, really??? I mean, it's February, what else is there to do? :)
Jeez... Tough room.

Canada-USA Woman in Hockey Thursday.

Go Ladies! I obviously have a favorite in Canada but these ladies are doing more to bring sport to young woman, than say, snowboarding.

I'm dismayed about Olympic figure skating. They have found a way for skaters in all three events - free-style, pairs and dance - to compete four times. Short and long programs for individual medals but now they have a "team" competition. Same routines, as far as I can tell, but now they can collect two medals. And several years ago they did away with the "figures" part of figure skating which some found boring even though they demonstrated great skill on skates. Do you suppose TV programmers had anything to say about this? And in case you doubt that it's all about the money, have you noticed how many commercials NBC is stuffing in?

On a related note, it looks like the Russians are going to pull this thing off! Aside from the American having to bust out through his bathroom door, all is well. :)

pete

GO USA Hockey!!

Interesting points about judges and such. Going back to basics, the original Olympics, they stopped all their wars, so everyone could compete. And every competition winner was based on an objective observable reality; time, distance. There wasn't any whining about judges, because there weren't any; just time keepers and measurers. It would seem good to me to go back to basics, the way they were, as then there is little doubt as to fairness (stopping all the killing for a couple weeks seems good too!)
I think, though, the Jerry Springer Kim Kardashian taught TV generation actually enjoys the drama, innuendo, allegations, grumbling etc having judges brings. I makes for soap opera

Which is why freestyle wrestling was discontinued. Makes me wonder if HS and college athletics will continue to sponsor the sport since the olympics no longer have it.:scratch
The Olympics dropped baseball & spring training is still going on. The Olympics are a complicated situation and not very reflective of the real world, let's hope they don't help decide what sports we have for kids.
I wrestled in HS and yes you need a "judge" to award points for what the wrestlers accomplish during a match. By far one of the best controlled,true competition sports around. It is also one of the highest aerobic demand sports I've ever done! Better be in shape or go home.Boxing & swimming along with certain track events share that level of fitness.
The thing we gig the snowboarders on isn't the difficulty of the sport, it's the wild and crazy appearance they have, looking like non-athlete "snow-hippies", so we don't take them too seriously.I see it as an ok sport if you have the ability to fly down a mtn!
My larger issue with Olympics is the wide variation in amateurs in one sport, highly paid pros in another. Many Olympic sports are only available to the rich so not representative of what they purport to represent. Some athletes have agents & mega bucks contracts others cannot blow their nose wrong w/o being disqualified. Money & insider politics has tainted the whole thing. I really like some sports but the whole Olympic boo hoo, melodramatic TV thing is over the top & thus I almost never watch the Olympic stuff-my exception is certain track & field events.
I think we all know what Madden meant in his sorta crude way.

Interesting points about judges and such. Going back to basics, the original Olympics, they stopped all their wars, so everyone could compete. And every competition winner was based on an objective observable reality; time, distance. There wasn't any whining about judges, because there weren't any; just time keepers and measurers. It would seem good to me to go back to basics, the way they were, as then there is little doubt as to fairness (stopping all the killing for a couple weeks seems good too!)
I think, though, the Jerry Springer Kim Kardashian taught TV generation actually enjoys the drama, innuendo, allegations, grumbling etc having judges brings. I makes for soap opera

I think even simple races take a judge, at the start and finish....and in between. There have always been judges...if not who said GO or fired the shot (anyone leave early?) and someone stood at the finish line to say who won...they called the photo finishes before there were photos. Imagine same type of whining went on then as now.

I found that placing the tv selector switch in the off position works best for me. Way too much "razamataz" in this ever complicated world we live in today.

I've been watching quite a bit of the winter Olympics - ALWAYS RECORDED ON THE PVR - so six clicks takes me through the commercials. I don't really care which individual (or nation) gets the meddles. What thrills me most is the artistry (figure skating, ice dance;) simply unbelievable aerial stunts on both skis and snowboards; the skill, speed and endurance of speed skating and cross country skiing.

Much less taken with the slider events where hundredths of a second are the separation - but confess to have watched many of them too.

WE are not likely to change the Olympics. Record the programs (so you can skip the commercials and anything which doesn't appeal to you.) Then watch what does appeal to you. Just as simple (and entertaining) as that.

Are we that old

I watched some of the X games, stuff they do with bicycles, and other things I did not as a youth even think about doing. Times change, snow boarding, flips with a motorcycle, all are things old guys are not interested in.

I have an issues with the Olympics, anything judge that you can not explain why one routine is better then the next makes me no watch. I remember judges getting together to keep some county scores down, so they would not metal. To me the judging is like best of show for dogs, how in the hell do you score that.

Back