• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2014 g650 gs

Illiya

I went to my dealer here in Illinois today who had an open house, and looked for a new 2014. None in stock, and was told they are not even being made yet (Although I saw one at the Progressive show last weekend). ETA is three months.

2014 bmw g650gs

I think I seen the same show bike you did.

Did not see any 2014 G650GS's at BMW of Grand Rapids, MI today but did see a 2013 model that was marked down.

I do not think there is any difference but I do like the all black model scheme that was on display at the Chicago Bike Show. If I go next year it will be on Friday, not Saturday. Big crowd on Saturday.

Wayne Koppa
Grayling, MI
Life 71,449

I saw that same bike at the Progressive show in Phoenix. It is amazing how little different it is than my 2002. I like the other colors as the World has plenty of black motorcycles, ETHO. Goes to show a good product can stand the test of time. I know it has changed but really..... Saturday was a mob scene.. I had to spend some relief time with other riders in the parking lot just to not be bumped around! It is sort of a shame the nomenclature was not kept the same over the years and new letters/numbers for the 800 and twin applied? Oh well.

Motorcycle Shows and the G650GS

I saw that same bike at the Progressive show in Phoenix. [B]It is amazing how little different it is than my 2002. [/B] I like the other colors as the World has plenty of black motorcycles, ETHO. Goes to show a good product can stand the test of time. I know it has changed but really..... Saturday was a mob scene.. I had to spend some relief time with other riders in the parking lot just to not be bumped around! It is sort of a shame the nomenclature was not kept the same over the years and new letters/numbers for the 800 and twin applied? Oh well.

I had the chance to go to the new Orlando International Show in October and wish the manufacturers would have been there. The absence of cruiser/chopper vendors offering similar wares that I am not really in the market for made it quite pleasant. Hopefully the manufacturers will be on board this year in Orlando.

On the Chicago show I need to do Friday if I go again. Big mob on Saturday. I really enjoy talking in detail with accessory representatives so that you can make the best decision before they pull the cash register lever.

On lack of changes to the 650 I would say its a pretty good product from my short time on the 2013 model. I am new to the thumper. I have used my bike for the two extremes of doing trail checks on the 12 mile ORV trail I am responsible for maintaining to riding it to Alaska and back. It does everything pretty well. If I was going to change three things on new models that are not easily done well, or at all, in the aftermarket arena they would be:

1. Increased fuel capacity.

2. Increased service intervals.

3. Increased Miles Per Gallon.

If BMW had the engineers to put a 275 mile tank on a 650 that only went in every 10k for service and got a consistent 70 mpg they could put a polka dot paint job on it and I would be at the front door wanting to buy one. I think they would have to put on an extra shift to build them fast enough. Maybe give the dealerships baseball bats to control the crowds.

Wayne Koppa
Grayling, MI
#71,449 Life

I (2012 G650GS) get around 75 mpg-whats not to like about that? MY 1150R went around 175-200 miles @45-50 mpg before fuel warning and this bikes similar miles but smaller tank, so much the same distance traveled. I'd buy a scooter if I wanted more economy to haul my rather large butt. IMO maintenance is minimal too? Pretty fun & economical bike overall,just saying...:whistle

I (2012 G650GS) get around 75 mpg-whats not to like about that? MY 1150R went around 175-200 miles @45-50 mpg before fuel warning and this bikes similar miles but smaller tank, so much the same distance traveled. I'd buy a scooter if I wanted more economy to haul my rather large butt. IMO maintenance is minimal too? Pretty fun & economical bike overall,just saying...:whistle

Getting 75 mpg - good for you. I have put 8,804 miles on my 2013 and the mpg is 57.72 for every drop put into it. May go up as I get some miles on it but that compares well to the 57.3 mpg that Rider got on the test of a 2011 650 GS. I typically come close to what Rider gets.

As far as the scooter being an option for better fuel economy, I am not so sure that they do any better.

I think the maintenance schedule calls for valve clearance checks every 6,000 miles. Getting to the valves is a bit of a trip. I was encouraged that the last time I checked them they had not changed. It is my intention, if they continue to have an unchanged clearance, to check them every 10,000 after I get out of warranty.

Don't want to sound negative because I really like this bike. It can do it all. Around town, off-road and long trips. I would sacrifice some of its horsepower for five more miles to the gallon. If Toyota can get 50 mpg out of a Prius BMW should be able to get 70 mpg out of my GS.

Wayne Koppa
Grayling, MI
#71,449

Then again, if I was driving the Prius maybe it would only get 35 mpg.

Have you checked the sensors?

Hi Wayne,

Usually if you are seeing MPG in the range of the 50's, you could have a bad sensor that is not allowing the bike to close the fuel circuit, making you run heavy at all times. I was up in the 70's on my 2002 F650GS, until I unplugged the O2 sensor in the exhaust, then I went down to between 52-55 MPG. Just a thought.

Ride safe,
Rob

Have not -but the shop did.

My people at BMW of GR had a look at it in the fall and did not remark about any sensor problems. I will check with them. Not getting much riding in now in this neck of the woods. Thanks for the thought.

Wayne Koppa
Grayling, MI
# 71,449 Life

My people at BMW of GR had a look at it in the fall and did not remark about any sensor problems. I will check with them. Not getting much riding in now in this neck of the woods. Thanks for the thought.

Wayne Koppa
Grayling, MI
# 71,449 Life

My local dealer had mine for 2 1/2 months and couldn't find the issue, or a sensor fault. They suggested a wiring harness at $2,400. I tinkered with it for a week, unplugged my O2 sensor and bingo, I haven't stalled in 2,500 miles. Considering I would stall multiple times in one ride, I think that took care of it. I guess the moral of the story is, the best diagnostics are your own. If you want to check for fault codes, pick up a GS-911. They're pretty cheap and will allow you to do everything with your bike except upgrade the software, which has to be done by a dealer.

I intend on getting mine to the point where I have the O2 sensor enabled again. I would like to get back to 70+ MPG. I'm going to try replacing the filter/pressure regulator next, then getting a new O2 sensor. Hopefully after that, I will be back to full MPG.

No riding right now either in Buffalo, NY. I feel your winter pain!

Back