• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

S1000F Prototype

dpmonk

P Monk
I admit I am am always tempted when a new model comes out. This one intrigues me. I have admired the multistrada especially in sport touring attire. I can just see myself on fm337 in the Texas hill country on a bike I am not capable of halfway riding to the limit. I am too old and protective of the few years I have left. But the picture of the prototype moves me better than metamucil.

I bet with the right price point and the ability to morf into different kinds of bike like the multistrada, that bike could be a winner.

How many miles to the gallon are you getting on the Metamucil? :thumb

It will be interesting to see what the S1000F turns out to be. Sounds like its niche is as a sport tourer. I can't see how it could morph into a dual sport like a MultiStrada.

Metamucil's mpg may depend somewhat on compression...

mmmm m .. . . . I thought it was just the opposite. But maybe that's just my experience. :dunno

And I'm still not sure what, exactly, the Multistrada is, or was s'posed to be, to begin with. My buddy has one and, in his case, I don't see it fulfilling anything other than a "street" role; which, I guess, doesn't mean that it can not do "other things". But why not just buy a specific machine for your primary riding style/environment ??? The old jack-of-all-trades saw about being good at one thing, but not very good at everything comes to mind.

I agree, the multistrada ain't a GS

From the picture the S1000F isn't a dirt bike either. I would be extremely surprised to ever see the Ducati on a NFS road. I see it as a platform that can be equipped for multiple functions much like the Multistrada, just like the R1200, The F800 / 650 twins. But with 150+hp it could be a hoot as a sport tourer with the bias heavily on the sporting side. BMW has been in the forefront in creating innovative motorcycles lately.

The S1000F and Multistrada are certainly not "dirt bikes" and it's a stretch to see them as useful on anything that isn't paved. Like the SUVs of the automobile world: something like 1% ever get used off-road, driveways being as off-road as most ever get. It's all about the image.

pete

Pete,

I think you are broadly correct concerning SUV's, but your estimate of "1%" might just be colored by your experience in "Bahstin."

I live on a dirt road in Virginia, so all my trips begin and end with off-pavement riding or driving, if not off-road. People that own SUV's here (not me, btw) tend to put them to fairly good use.

But back on topic, didn't the Multistrada win the Pike's Place hillclimb back in 2010, when half the course was still gravel?
pikes-peak-2011-21.jpg

Urban Adventure Bikes is what some of the Euro press called these at one point. They took the advantages of adventure bikes then massaged them for use in an urban environment. For a long time the Multistrada and the Triumph Tiger never competed in the dirt with the GS etc.; however for urban riders who wanted an upright seating position for comfort and visibility, suspension travel to deal with bad streets, decent street tuned handling while being capable of doing a bit of touring they found great favor.

600600p3167EDNmain469BMW-S1000F.jpg

Back