• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Fuel pump recall??

gene36542

I saw mention of this on the "R" site for multiple models and years... so that's why I didn't list mine Mr. D ;-). Anyone "got the word?"

I read that the letters should be coming this month for a recall/inspection of the pump flanges. If they are'nt cracked they glue a metal reinforcement ring to them and call it good. If cracked they replace with a newer model that isn't supposed to crack anymore.

In Vancouver, Canada, BMW dealer has said that this work will start in the second week of March 2014.

The Beemer Bone Yard clamp seem to be a far better fix then glueing a clamp on ,,,And you don't have to wast a lot of time dealing with the dealer,,,But that mite just be me,,,,

Last edited:
Exactly what BMW plans to do remains to be seen. The documentation on the NHTSA web site is pretty vague. When BMW releases their Service Bulletin describing the fix in detail, a copy should be available from NHTSA.

If you choose not to have BMW's fix installed, a subsequent buyer will see that the recall was not complied with if he or she researches your bike's VIN before purchase. This could affect your bike's resale value.

Just like all the other documentation for this recall, I expect you will see BMW's letter to owners on the NHTSA web site before you get one in the mail. That was my experience with the two brake recalls on my 2007 R1200ST.

If you choose not to have BMW's fix installed, a subsequent buyer will see that the recall was not complied with if he or she researches your bike's VIN before purchase. This could affect your bike's resale value.

Some of us fixed the thing ourselves with a Beemer Boneyard reinforcing ring or similar. I don't want to spend the time to go to a dealer, leave the bike, have them pull the tank, discover the fix, report "no cracks," and take no action, all just so the BMW computer will report the recall was done.

I suppose the bike's value might theoretically go down, but I don't want to now spend time addressing this for no difference in the bike. As a genuine safety issue, like the early Snowflake wheels, it's likely the recall will be open-ended and the bike could be presented to a dealer at any time.

Meh.

Last edited:
I suppose the bike's value might theoretically go down, but I don't want to now spend time addressing this for no difference in the bike. As a genuine safety issue, like the early Snowflake wheels, it's likely the recall will be open-ended and the bike could be presented to a dealer at any time.

Meh.
David - ALL "recalls" are open-ended. I got a new throttle cable for my '85 K bike for free about 12 years after the recall was issued.. A service campaign can be ended by a manufacturer, recalls are forever.

a bit off topic

Don, et al.,

Is anyone considering replacing the OEM quick disconnects with the stainless steel beemerboneyard ones while this service/recall is done or care to comment on this idea?

two birds one stone. Thanks

John

Several of us have replaced both sides of those fittings...some had the flange fail and contributed it to the thread used on the aftermarket kits...that now seems to just be a causal factor in the failed design and just sped the failure up.

One word of caution however, do not tighten the aftermarket tank side fitting mega-tight...snug is good with the sealant provided. A few found out differently.

We have 5 models with that fuel pump assy...three have rings and aftermarket fittings...and many miles since. The other two will visit the dealer for the check. The other three have no signs of cracking, just proactive way back.

Don, et al.,Is anyone considering replacing the OEM quick disconnects with the stainless steel beemerboneyard ones while this service/recall is done or care to comment on this idea?

I added the BB metal QDs when I bought my bike, but deliberately did not change the plastic fitting that screws into the plastic pump boss; that fitting is still in place. My thought was the plastic pump boss was neither cracked nor leaking, and my removing and replacing the fitting could well crack the boss or cause it to leak. I think I just didn't feel confident that I'd be able to gauge the appropriate torque for the reinstall. Others have removed it successfully, but I didn't. YMMV.

The reinforcing ring I installed (like the BB piece, but from a source on ADV rider) fit over the plastic fitting and didn't require its removal.

Is anyone considering replacing the OEM quick disconnects with the stainless steel beemerboneyard ones while this service/recall is done or care to comment on this idea?

I would replace the male end of the QD while the tank is off.
I did not replace the female end on our bikes for fear of cracking the flange, plus I have not heard of any failures of the female end.

Back