• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R1200GSW factory lowered suspension - question

nelliott

Cowboyatheart
Hi all,

I sat on a 2014 factory lowered suspension with a low seat in the low position, and can flatfoot it. The dealer said it was on comfort, one rider, no luggage.

Just curious, I know you don't lose any features or options when one orders the lowered suspension, but does anyone know if you suffer with something by making this choice?
I suspect one loses a little clearance, and some travel in suspension movement. the dealer suggested I would notice nothing and it would be better to get a set up I can flatfoot than one where I am on the balls of my feet.

I already am on the balls of my feet on my 2008 RT, and like the idea of being able to get both feet on the ground, but I also know it is not a game changer if I can't.

What are you thoughts?

My secondary concern would be leg room, if the foot pegs are staying in their stock position. My old knees can't hack too much angle for too long.

I bought a factory lowered f650GS in 2005 and the trade off was that the suspension travel was slightly reduced and as such the ride comfort was affected over rough surfaces but not by that much. The relationship between seat and pegs is not any different though since the shock works from a solid mount on the frame to the swing arm/para lever that moves and does not move the subframe to which the seat is mounted. The pegs are bolted to the frame and do not move. You can always lower the pegs too if you feel cramped.

I lowered an '11 GS Adventure ESA 50mm / 2", and I liked it very much.
I purchased the shocks and springs from Wilbers Suspension (WESA). They were then mated with the OEM BMW actuators.
It functioned exactly like the OEM ESA suspension on the bike.

Personally, I never missed the lost height or suspension travel. I'm 5'9" w-30"inseam, appreciate good footing when stopped, and do not ride off road.
The bike was a daily driver, commuter/travel bike.
I felt very confident on the bike and enjoyed it. If it had cruise control, I'd still have it.

As I understand it, the lower center of gravity makes for better on road handling and easier balance.

As far as legroom/ knee room goes, you can run a normal height seat on a lowered chassis and not lose any legroom, although you add some to ride height. And, as another has mentioned, you can always lower the pegs if needed. BMW offers($300) a 3 position adjustable peg accessory for the GS W.

To each his own however.

.02 d'milan

Last edited:
Hi all,

I sat on a 2014 factory lowered suspension with a low seat in the low position, and can flatfoot it. The dealer said it was on comfort, one rider, no luggage.

Just curious, I know you don't lose any features or options when one orders the lowered suspension, but does anyone know if you suffer with something by making this choice?
I suspect one loses a little clearance, and some travel in suspension movement. the dealer suggested I would notice nothing and it would be better to get a set up I can flatfoot than one where I am on the balls of my feet.

I already am on the balls of my feet on my 2008 RT, and like the idea of being able to get both feet on the ground, but I also know it is not a game changer if I can't.

What are you thoughts?

I bought a 2014 low suspension GSW recently. Looking at BMW's website description, it appears to me that the low suspension drops the bike (and the center of gravity and ground clearance) 1.1" - 1.2". It comes with the low seat, which reduces the height an additional 1.1"-1.2".

The factory low seat was too thin for me (185 lbs) and I got the regular seat, so the seat-to-pegs distance is the same as on the standard model. I'm tall enough that I didn't need the low suspension to flatfoot the bike (32" inseam), but I won't go off road to places where the reduced ground clearance will be an issue; nor do I worry about scraping the pegs sooner. As a result, I can put the stock seat in the high position, get more legroom on the bike, flatfoot the bike, and still have all the benefits of ESA and a lower cog.

As far as i could tell, after online research, dealer inquiry, and personal experience, there is no difference in the amount of suspension travel. When I set the ESA at 2 helmets, it rises enough that I'm on the balls of my feet. This bike is great fun.

Phil

I bought a 2014 low suspension GSW recently. Looking at BMW's website description, it appears to me that the low suspension drops the bike (and the center of gravity and ground clearance) 1.1" - 1.2". It comes with the low seat, which reduces the height an additional 1.1"-1.2".

The factory low seat was too thin for me (185 lbs) and I got the regular seat, so the seat-to-pegs distance is the same as on the standard model. I'm tall enough that I didn't need the low suspension to flatfoot the bike (32" inseam), but I won't go off road to places where the reduced ground clearance will be an issue; nor do I worry about scraping the pegs sooner. As a result, I can put the stock seat in the high position, get more legroom on the bike, flatfoot the bike, and still have all the benefits of ESA and a lower cog.

As far as i could tell, after online research, dealer inquiry, and personal experience, there is no difference in the amount of suspension travel. When I set the ESA at 2 helmets, it rises enough that I'm on the balls of my feet. This bike is great fun.

Phil

Thanks Phil for you response. Good info.

This I copied from ADVRIDER....RobertJ had asked the question.

Response from BMW:

Thank you for contacting BMW Motorrad USA regarding the 2014 BMW R 1200 GS.

The standard ground clearance for this model is 195mm, and the factory-lowered suspension option would make the ground clearance 170mm. I hope this information is helpful.

We suggest contacting your local BMW Motorrad dealer for ordering options. A list of our authorized BMW Motorrad dealers can be found on our website: www.bmwmotorcycles.com, under the "Find a dealer" link.

The BMW Motorrad Customer Relations and Services Department is available Monday through Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m., ET. You can reach us at 1-800-831-1117.

Regards,

Melissa Knueven
BMW Motorrad USA
Representative

I interpret that as the suspension lowering (independent of low seat) will lower by almost 0.98 inches (25.4mm = 1 inch).

And from the BMW website the information indicates
Seat height, unladen weight
(Note that 25.4 mm equals 1 inch)

Regular Suspension with Regular seat (low position) 850 mm
Regular Suspension with low seat (low position) 820 mm
Lowered suspension with low seat (low position) 790 mm

So Reg Suspension with Reg seat minus Reg Suspension low seat is 30mm = 1.18 inches.

Therefore, if you combine lowered suspension AND low seat there is a seat height drop of 25mm + 30mm = 55mm or 2.17 inches.
Which conflicts with the info on the BMW website of seat height. e.g. Reg Suspension 850mm minus low suspension & low seat 790mm = 60mm drop.

Anyway, it is in the ballpark of slightly greater than 2 inches - about 1 inch each for both lowered suspension, or low seat from regular seat.

Back