• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Another Boot Question

Having just purchased a pair of new boots, I'd like to use some "Neats Foot Oil" to soften them up a bit. Anyone know if that may be incompatible with the "Goretex" liner?

Thanks,
Mike

Not incompatible from a will-it-melt-the-liner standpoint, but it might tend to "clog" the pores in the Gortex that makes it breathable. I take it that the outers are leather, yes?

Yes, Imo1131, the outers are leather, mostly. The boots are BMW. The closing flaps are plastic of some kind.
But that's a good thought about the oil clogging the goretex mesh. Thank you. Mike

I have. Pair of HD FXRG boots for about 6 year plus now and they are leather with gore tex. I use leather polish on them and it keeps them nice and watertight. Hardly scientific evidence admittedly but the fact that water does not find its way in either riding or hiking says at least something. I am not promoting the boot as much as treatments that maintain the leather and seem to help with waterproofing in some way.

...I use leather polish on them and it keeps them nice and ...

Leather polish? As in the stuff that makes shoes/boots shiny? If that is what you are talking about, why do you want to keep your hiking/riding boots shiny? Just asking cuz I can't imagine a reason.

why do you want to keep your hiking/riding boots shiny?

Pride of ownership? Extend longevity?

In all fairness, he didn't say "shiny". I operate my heavy equipment and polish my White's work boots every week; it keeps mud and water from penetrating and drying out and cracking the leather, and keeps the leather pliable.

Most shoe care products are labeled "polish" and that's what we colloquially call the stuff. And most contain carnauba wax and will become shiny to some extent. I use Huberds Shoe Grease (which contains beeswax) on my boots; total waterproofing and some shine too, which helps keep crap from sticking to them. I paid $475 for my boots and I'd like to have them for a while.

Huberd's darkens some types of leather so you'd want to test a hidden section if it makes a difference to you.

Thank you and shine is not a very high priority so much as longevity, waterproofing, mild scuff protection and yes pride of appearance. Owning a GS doesn't require a round the world appearance to ride around town, I am sure that even the most hardcore world tourers can sometimes appear clean and tidy in public and with clean gear haha.

Cleaning equipment and gear just as with the bike itself can help to identify flaws and damage earlier. Besides gear is expensive, why not look after it and make it last?

Back