• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R 80 GS Rear Drive Leak

dougjordan

Problem is ,it has a leak that keeps coming back. Leaking from the large paper gasket. The rear drive has only 6,000 miles on it and on it's third gasket. Maybe silicone on the gasket? Would that inter fear with shiming ?

were are taking R80 G/S and not R80 GS Basic right??? My 1st choice for gasket sealer would be Hylomar, or 2nd choice permatex. Stay away from silicone. Make sure the surfaces are good and clean with no gouges.

If you use Permatex #2, it will stick all over things and be hard to clean up if having to take it appart again.

Make sure the O-rings at the brake lever have been replaced. I've have problems with the brake pivot pin being loose. If I remember right permatex #2 was used on it.

I believe my G/S leaks or mists lubricants out of every possible place. :D

In replacing my pushrod tube seals, I used Yamabond 4 Semi-drying liquid gasket on the base of the cylinders when re-assembling. (I didn't put Yamabond on the seals). The previous tech used black silicone on everything, oh man what a mess getting all that removed.

The Yamabond seems to work well in sealing, but I've not tried removing it while disassembling.

Mechanics that use it swear by it.

And as noted above, another good choice is Hylomar Universal Blue Sealant.

Ian

Last edited:
Back