• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

load capacity - 2013 R1200RT

wwalton

I read that the load capacity of my 2013 is roughly 520 pounds. Can someone tell me if that is in addition to the paniers and topcase or includes the cases. Thanks.
Bill

Last edited by a moderator:
2013 what? RT? GS? If it comes standard with the panniers like a RT or K1600GT then it would be 520 lbs in addition the cases. On a GS or GSA where they are add ons the panniers would count at part of the 520 lbs you could add.

sorry, RT

It's an RT. Just trying to figure if riding two up, how much can I have in addition to a set of camping gear.

Bill,
ex of Denton, TX

in the case of my 2013 R1200RT the "maximum payload" is 511 lbs with the OEM suspension....take from that my sorry fat ATGATT butt of 240lbs, my Beautiful Pillion's slight ATGATT of 150lbs and that leaves 121lbs of extra payload...the RT comes with the panniers but NOT the top box....!!!

this can all change with the upgrade to better shocks setup for your riding style and anticipated payload....i did Wilbers from Ted Porter's Beamer Shop...best $$$ spent on my RT....

wyman

We ride a 07 RT. When fully loaded (camp gear, clothes) for 2 weeks and fully fueled, the RT weighs 700 pounds. We do not use the top case when camping(it weighs to much and holds little), we use a dry bag mounted to a home made tail rack with a back rest. PR 3B tire on the rear. Russell seats help. Shock from Works set up for our combined ATGATT weight of 420lb.
700+420=1120 GRVW 1120-1091Permitted total weight=29lb overweight
We ride about 8,000 miles a year this way. The RT is perfect for us. 600 miles a day of super slab is normal. We stay in hotels along the way, then camp at our destination. Ultra lite camping and cooking gear is a must. Not being a clothes horse helps.
Tony

thanks all

appreciate your time. This will help out the planning for our April trip. I normally camp and travel solo and don't really consider weight. When we're two up it's usually motels but we're traveling through Georgia and they seem to have a lot of beautiful state parks.

Back