• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

'13 vs '14 RT Seat/Peg relationship

motodan

Realizing the frame/seat changes have the '14 RT sitting, a reported, inch or so lower, can anyone report on what that's done to the seat/foot-peg arrangement? Especially those moving from a '10 - '13 model, do you feel your legs are "folded" more?

Realizing the frame/seat changes have the '14 RT sitting, a reported, inch or so lower, can anyone report on what that's done to the seat/foot-peg arrangement? Especially those moving from a '10 - '13 model, do you feel your legs are "folded" more?

Maybe a little. I don't think my feet have as much fore and aft room. I am 5'9" with a 30" inseam. The riding position seems more restricted. However I really fit this bike. I did a lot of curves yesterday and It was a different feel than the 2013 model. The side stand is really hard to find. It is between the shifter and foot peg. It is going to take a while to be able to locate it without thinking. Also the shifter doesn't have any adjustment possibilities. Lots of stuff ripe for the aftermarket. But will be a while before any thing is availalbe. I talked to the Clearwater people Friday and they haven't seen the bike. So they don't have any idea when mounting and wiring solutions will be availalbe.n If you get a chance demo one. If you could take it on a long ride I think you will be impressed.

For my height, http://cycle-ergo.com/ seems to indicate a slightly more (1 degree) forward lean, but there is probably more variance depending on the rider's height and which of the three seats are provided with the bike.

For my height, http://cycle-ergo.com/ seems to indicate a slightly more (1 degree) forward lean, but there is probably more variance depending on the rider's height and which of the three seats are provided with the bike.

It has me at 5 degree lean on both bike, which feels about right. I hope someone comes up with bar backs soon. However looking at the construction of the handlebars it isn't going to be easy. The seat is a little more comfortable than my 2013 RT. So an after market seat might be on the list when they are available. I put my PMD 60 under the passenger seat. Tight space. Very little room to run wires forward. I took off the right side plastic. The tank needs to come off to make routing easier. I got the radar detector wires up there but it wasn't easy.

. I put my PMD 60 under the passenger seat. Tight space. Very little room to run wires forward. I took off the right side plastic. The tank needs to come off to make routing easier. I got the radar detector wires up there but it wasn't easy.

Hi Buck,

Did you take the tank off to route the radar detector? I'm looking to do something similar but think a "Mixit2" might be needed to hear warnings thru my ear buds.

Hi Buck,

Did you take the tank off to route the radar detector? I'm looking to do something similar but think a "Mixit2" might be needed to hear warnings thru my ear buds.

No but it would have been easier. If I had seen it done before I might have tried it. It was all new territory. Very little room to manuver with the radiators and hoses. I have an alert in the mail from legal speeding I am going to to try. Has a small reciever and the light sits in you periperal vision. Hope it is better than the one sitting next to the GPS. There is a small leak of radiator fluid from a bottom hose. The tech tried repositioning and tightening but to no avail. If he has to remove the radiator I want to watch so aI can see how everything fits. It will be a first for him also since no training from BMW yet.

Perspective

Just finished about 300 miles on a friends new Wethead. I felt cramped with to much leg bend but his seat was set to the Low position. I,m riding a 2009 RT with Russell Day Long which gives you even more than normal leg room and never felt the need for lowering the pegs, but I'm on my tip toes. My 2014 RT is in and I will pick it up next week. I think adding the Russell Day long will help a lot plus I feel I will still be flat footed. And I'm sure but peg lowering kit when available will no doubt cure the issue.

We compared the distance from the top of my 2009 seat to the top of the pegs versus the 2014 and it 2.5 inches shorter.

All that being said it was a really a sweet machine, after the personal upgrades, shame that you need to do this but it is about making it fit your body's comfort zone. Could not spend 2 hours on my stock 2009, after Barbacks, Bakup and Russell Daylong I have done as much as 800 in a day ... Smiling ... I think I will smile wider with Wethead.

Just finished about 300 miles on a friends new Wethead. I felt cramped with to much leg bend but his seat was set to the Low position. I,m riding a 2009 RT with Russell Day Long which gives you even more than normal leg room and never felt the need for lowering the pegs, but I'm on my tip toes. My 2014 RT is in and I will pick it up next week. I think adding the Russell Day long will help a lot plus I feel I will still be flat footed. And I'm sure but peg lowering kit when available will no doubt cure the issue.

We compared the distance from the top of my 2009 seat to the top of the pegs versus the 2014 and it 2.5 inches shorter.

Don't order your new seat and lowering pegs until you are sure you have the optimal stock seat. From the press kit: "Apart from the height-adjustable standard seat (seat height 805 / 825*mm; 31.7 / 32.5 inches), two further seat variants are available as no cost options to cover the wide-ranging requirements of both rider and passenger: the high seat (830 / 850*mm; 32. 7/ 33.5 inches) and the low seat (760 / 780*mm; 29.9 / 30.7 inches). "

All that being said it was a really a sweet machine, after the personal upgrades, shame that you need to do this but it is about making it fit your body's comfort zone. Could not spend 2 hours on my stock 2009, after Barbacks, Bakup and Russell Daylong I have done as much as 800 in a day ... Smiling ... I think I will smile wider with Wethead.

Bar backs aren't currently possible with the 2014. The bars are integral with the top triple clamp.

Don't order your new seat and lowering pegs until you are sure you have the optimal stock seat. From the press kit: "Apart from the height-adjustable standard seat (seat height 805 / 825*mm; 31.7 / 32.5 inches), two further seat variants are available as no cost options to cover the wide-ranging requirements of both rider and passenger: the high seat (830 / 850*mm; 32. 7/ 33.5 inches) and the low seat (760 / 780*mm; 29.9 / 30.7 inches). "

A seat change can fix the seat to peg issue, but can create or exacerbate problem with the relationship with the bar relationship which cannot be changed.

My advice is to go to cycle ergo and make adjustments to your current ride to reflect your ergonomic changes and then compare to the stock 2014 RT. You may be surprised by the differences.

Good Advice

A seat change can fix the seat to peg issue, but can create or exacerbate problem with the relationship with the bar relationship which cannot be changed.

My advice is to go to cycle ergo and make adjustments to your current ride to reflect your ergonomic changes and then compare to the stock 2014 RT. You may be surprised by the differences.

Thanks for the advise went to cycle ergo and found that with the 2014 standard seat height there was not that much difference to all the hip and knee angles but in real life the ergo on the 2014 just does not seem to work as is. Took me awhile to get my 2009 to where 500 mile days are a breeze and I can handle multiple 600+ days if I have the need to get there quick. I am a true believer, Russell Day Long Seats are a little piece of Heaven, and there is concern about ergo with the bars once my Russell is built / installed. About the handlebars, I miss spoke about bar backs and already knew that the entire handle bar triple tree will need to be changed if and when BMW or an aftermarket supplier comes up with the all in one unit ... Open Wallet and dump money! But I'm sure they will be available sooner than later, Being the skeptic that I am sure BMW probably did this intentionally to try and capture a bigger piece of the aftermarket money stream. I have a couple of months to sort it all out before I start a very full summer of running to the West Coast, New England, Northern Quebec and return thru MN for the rally before ending up back in Louisiana. Retirement is a good thing ...

Back