• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

78r80/7. Push rod tubes

yankeeone

Hi, I pulled the cylinders on my r80/7 and when I was cleaning up found one of the push rod tubes loose in the head, in fact it came out, also the rings on the tubes are loose is this normal?So what I need to know is how to put the tube back in the head so it won't leak.

Definitely not normal...they're supposed to be an interference fit. Issues now are getting it installed to the right depth (or the ring/collar) so that the proper squeeze will happen on the seal. Plus getting it to seal at the head. Snowbum discusses the issues here:

http://bmwmotorcycletech.info/pushrodseals.htm

Here is a crude picture I put together to show the proper placement of the pushrod tube/collar for pressing on the seal:

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?53365-Help-with-the-top-end!&p=682593&viewfull=1#post682593

I just went through the same thing on myR100/7. There are a couple threads and several posts on advrider.com right now. I had 3 loose rings too. If you want to PM me your phone # ill call. I talk a lot faster than these 60 yr old fingers type.

Back