• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Free State Maps and Travel Guides

shandeland

Club President
With many riders traveling from out of state to visit the great state of Minnesota and to attend the Rally, I thought I would post a few links here that you may find useful.

I know many of you travel and navigate by GPS, however I still feel the best way to plan a trip is with a paper map(s) spread out on the table or floor. I also bring paper maps with me even if I am using my GPS. I like to look at the map in the morning with my coffee, sometimes finalizing the days route right then.

Here is a link to a site that list the links to free maps of every state. Many of them have other free publications such as travel guides.

http://www.heyitsfree.net/free-state-maps/

To make it easier to get to the states that may be of the most interest for this years rally I offer;

Minnesota - http://www.exploreminnesota.com/publications-order-form.aspx

Wisconsin - http://www.travelwisconsin.com/order-guides

Iowa - http://www.traveliowa.com/travelGuide

Order your maps now and they will arrive in your mailbox while there is still snow covering the ground. Then use a few hours looking them over and planning this summers adventures.

Steve Handeland
2014 BMW MOA Rally Hospitality Co-Chair

Thanks for the link.

It took 3 working days to receive my map package.The bicycle map has lots of small roads highlighted. The ATVentures show which trails allow motorcycles. The Travel Guide showcases the local flavor. Good Stuff! :thumb

free maps

great post.
gottem all!
fun to start looking at them while it's still 20 degrees here.

Thanks!

Howard

I love maps, always have. I like to spend cold winter days or nights looking at maps and planning summer trips and rides. With this years rally 3 miles from home I thought the least I could do is share this site with the rest of you. I can't believe i used to buy maps at gas stations, duh.
Steve

I got my Wisconsin info last week. Minnesota and Iowa are not as quick to send info. FYI, the Wisconsin state park system requires an admission pass to get into their parks and a reservation fee also if anyone plans on camping. A one night camp spot could easily cost 30 bucks. Anyone know about Minnesota, Missouri or Iowa?

I got my Wisconsin info last week. Minnesota and Iowa are not as quick to send info. FYI, the Wisconsin state park system requires an admission pass to get into their parks and a reservation fee also if anyone plans on camping. A one night camp spot could easily cost 30 bucks. Anyone know about Minnesota, Missouri or Iowa?

Minnesota also has this rotten permit system. Missouri does not. I do not know about Iowa.
You may want to look at State Forest Campgrounds. They have less amenities, such no showers. No permit needed and some are in very nice places.

Steve

It can get worse- where they want an extra $6 or $8 for a second bike if a couple or pair are riding and camping together. We have ridden away from state parks where the fee for a tent site for 1 night was hitting $32 or $34 (or more). We have encountered this in ND, MN, and WI.

I received the Minnesota and Iowa info in the last couple of days. Both are packed with touristy info but no maps. Kind of a let down. Wisconsin info is a lot more informative about roads and camping spots, as well as fees.

I received the Minnesota and Iowa info in the last couple of days. Both are packed with touristy info but no maps.

Try this number for a free Iowa map.

You can order a Free folded Iowa Highway Map mailed to you, (you can request other literature and maps mailed also see below) by calling 1-800-345-4692.

Try this link for a Minnesota map. http://www.dot.state.mn.us/statemap/
In the upper left click on Order One Free Map

Back