• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Jackson Hole, Wyoming/Grand Tetons June or July

EUGENE

We would like suggestions for lodging and moderate hiking in the Jackson, Wyoming/Grand Teton area for June or July. 2 couples, semi-retired, so only have 1 week onsite.:wave Thank you!

Back in the 70's I worked in Yellowstone NP and traveled frequently to the Tetons and Jackson Hole. June is still early in the high country and you can find snow on the ground and cold weather. So, some moderate hikes might be tough. However if the snowpack is low the wildflowers will be blooming.

We would like suggestions for lodging and moderate hiking in the Jackson, Wyoming/Grand Teton area for June or July. 2 couples, semi-retired, so only have 1 week onsite.:wave Thank you!
At Teton NP-take the park service pontoon across the lake(saves time with avoiding a boring/flat, around the lake walk) then hike up into the "notch" between the mtns.. It will be full of folks, as very popular until you get past the first "feature" of that hike then peaceful and serene for the rest of the walk! The only way you'll get up close & personal to those mtns- unless you climb one, as all the roads are at a distance, not into the mtns..
The most scenic drive in the area might not be in the park-take the hwy over the pass from Jackson to Idaho-beautiful place! Google "cabins to rent in WY Wind River Mtns"-there are some nice spots east side of that range from Jackson & away from the "Jackson Hole shopping district". :thumb

For hiking and camping, go a bit south to get out of the summer crowds. Take 89 south to Hoback junction, then 189/191 east towards Pinedale. You will be in Hoback Canyon. Research the many trails and campsites, and take your pick. Option 2, continue south on 89 past Hoback junction to Alpine, following the Snake River canyon road, which is one of the most beautiful canyons you will ever see. Note, my Grandfather engineered the road, and managed the construction between 1951-1954. Anyway, you will end up in Alpine, Wy. At the east end of town there is a trailhead for Grey's River Canyon. Do that. In fact, go back in the winter and do a snowmobile trip up the canyon.

While in Jackson, don't miss out on eating at the Gun Barrel restaurant, just a bit south of the square on 89. Have the combo platter with the buffalo prime rib and elk chops and baker. Note - split it with your wife. It's huge. :eat:eat:eat

Enjoy!!!!!!
Brian

Option 2, continue south on 89 past Hoback junction to Alpine, following the Snake River canyon road, which is one of the most beautiful canyons you will ever see. Note, my Grandfather engineered the road, and managed the construction between 1951-1954. Anyway, you will end up in Alpine, Wy.
Enjoy!!!!!!
Brian
Thanks! I was thinking about another route out of Jackson towards Swan Valley, but think I now might go this route based on your comments. I am planning a ride from Olympia, Wa to Rapid City, SD to meet up with a friend. Then work my way back home from Yellowstone National Park via Jackson, WY and Logan, UT. This will work nicely.

There was a B&B (Gardiner Guesthouse)Gardiner, MT just outside the north gate (3 blocks) of Yellowstone Nat. Park, very nice and price was very very reasonable. We stayed there 2 nites last July on the way home from BMWMOA rally in Salem , OR. .

If you are camping Lizard Creek Campground it is first come first serve camping. Located on Jackson Lake, just out side of Yellowstone. Makes a great base camp for the park. The campground host is great, they will always try to help the late campers.
Tony

Back