• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Wire from 12V socket in glove box

bobfately

So I got a RAM Mount bracket for the BMW/Zumo GPS unit, figuring I can plug that into the socket in the left side glove box. However, it seems there is no gap or groove in the door and frame that allows for the cable to pass through it when the door is shut.

Has anyone here dealt with this? Is it just a matter of routing out a groove someplace in the door frame to let the wiring pass through?

So I got a RAM Mount bracket for the BMW/Zumo GPS unit, figuring I can plug that into the socket in the left side glove box. However, it seems there is no gap or groove in the door and frame that allows for the cable to pass through it when the door is shut.

Has anyone here dealt with this? Is it just a matter of routing out a groove someplace in the door frame to let the wiring pass through?

Have you looked at the installation for the Navigator? I'm guessing it does not use that location to wire in, there may be an accessory wire you can tap running on or near the bars (which is where the Navigator mount is installed).

If you open up the center cover on the steering column you will find a plug that is on the cross bar. This plug is what the BMW navigator plugs into. When I got my garmin zumo I cut the plug off and found the live wire that is wired into the ignition (the other in neutral) and then hard wired into it (solder and shrink wrapped) this way the gps will come on with the ignition and no need to run wires around, then mount the gps on a master Cylinder of your choice, running the wire under plastic and tying it to the bar under (hidden)

BMW has a mount that fits over center cap, allowing the GPS to be front and center
Wife's 650 has a Garmin 665, antenna is mounted just forward of center cap

If for any reason you decide to add a outlet, I found it easy to wire one direct to battery(fused)
Used the inboard fairing on right above glove box
This allows easy battery maintainer connection and another plus it allows heated clothing to be used

I used a Dremel and put a small notch in the lip of the box. I didn't do anything to the cover as the notch is the perfect size for routing the cable.

I used a Dremel and put a small notch in the lip of the box. I didn't do anything to the cover as the notch is the perfect size for routing the cable.

Thank you, David, that's what I was wondering about - I think I'll try the same.

To the others who pointed out the center column connection (which I knew about as I had the dealer install the BMW GPS on my first 650GT), thanks, but my point was to be able to remove all signs of the GPS and not use the center mount.

Here's the notch I made for my heated gear controller wires. I used black electrical tape to keep the wires in the notch (first pic) when I open the door. The second pic shows the notch. It's not super-pretty (I tried with a file the first time before I used the Dremel) but it can't be seen with the door closed so it does't matter. Also, I drilled a small hole in the back of the glovebox to route the power cable straight to the battery.

IMG_3895.JPG IMG_3894.JPG

Back