• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Boyer Electronic Ignition Wiring

b25bsaboy

Having Just installed the Boyer Brandsen Electronic Ignition set up I came across a black wire that I believe is part of the contact breaker then to the capacitor. Two question came to mind.

1. What pole does the black lead wire attach to on the coil?
2. Is the capacitor necessary? Reason I ask this when ever I installed the Boyer on British bikes, the first thing that went in the garbage was the capacitor.

Attachments

• R90S+Wiring+Diagram Rev.0.jpg
    R90S+Wiring+Diagram Rev.0.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 63
Rick -

As I recall it, the +12v comes into the coil on the left side...positive pole I'm pretty sure. Then there's the jumper from negative to the positive pole on the right coil. Then the condenser would be connected to the negative pole on the right coil. That's the path to ground, through the condenser/points.

I would leave the condenser installed in the bike. Just in case you need to switch back. Of course, you should carry with you the complete stock system, including advance unit, as a roadside fix. That is what I do on my /7 with the Dyna III.

20774's advice is well taken. I had a Boyer Branson unit on my R90S back in 1977 or so and it failed on me one morning at home. Went back to the points set up after that.

Back