• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Rubber protectors in fuel tank? K75

kmellzey

MontanaMark
I was changing my fuel filter in the k75s and came across these protectors/bumpers in the bottom of the tank. The short one is about 3" long and the long is about 4". Each has a groove down the center, like they press over some metal "thing" inside the tank.

My thoughts are that they cover some of the sharp support structures in the tank to protect hoses/wires from getting cut by vibrations. However, wouldn't the protectors themselves vibrate off?

Does anyone have ideas as to where they go?

Thanks,

Mark
20140131_124407.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Mark,

I don't belive they should be in the tank. They are not shown (in the tank) on the parts fiche. I do not remember ever seeing any in any tanks before.

The ARE two similar pieces on the outside bottom seams.

Later this afternoon when I get back to the shop, I'll have a look at the several bikes and loose tanks to see if something stands out.

:dance:dance:dance

Neither of mine (both 1987) had those, though I suppose I can't say they never had them.

All the in-tank wires and hoses were routed such that there was no worry about vibration against any sharp surface, as I recall. I never had a concern about that.

I thought they looked familiar, so I checked my 91 K75RT tank. They go on ribs on the left side of the pump bracket. Short on rear and long on front.

Thanks all

Thanks for all the input. Obviously, if I had them on the bench to take a picture, they aren't in the tank anymore.

roncooper - Thanks - I checked the fiche and didn't see anything, then checked the Haynes manual - nada. Next time I go in, I'll check the fuel pump bracket.

JamesinCA - I'm not too worried about wires or hoses either.

The purpose of the rubber protectors appears to be to keep the shelf that the fuel pump is mounted in from vibrating against the side of the tank. The shelf is welded to the hump in the center of the bottom of the tank but is not welded to the side of the tank. The bottom (with the shelf attached) is joined to the top with welds along the bottom seam.

I doubt that you could replace them on an assembled tank. Probably why they are not listed in the fiche. I'll try to get a look at one of my spare tanks to see if you could access them.

The purpose of the rubber protectors appears to be to keep the shelf that the fuel pump is mounted in from vibrating against the side of the tank. The shelf is welded to the hump in the center of the bottom of the tank but is not welded to the side of the tank. The bottom (with the shelf attached) is joined to the top with welds along the bottom seam.

I doubt that you could replace them on an assembled tank. Probably why they are not listed in the fiche. I'll try to get a look at one of my spare tanks to see if you could access them.

Lee - sounds like an artifact of the manufacturing process. Thanks for taking a look.

Mark

Mark,

Here's where they go. If the ones you found in the tank are extras, no problem. Throw them away. But if they are the ones from your tank, you MIGHT be able to slide them down from the top. Make sure the slit goes over the edge of the sheet metal.

P1000219.jpgP1000220.jpg

Lee,

Thanks for the picture. I'll put them back in a) if I hear rattling where I shouldn't or b) next filter change.

Thanks,
Mark

Back