• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2014 R1200 GS Adventure - New Owner Feedback

k75s

Likes "Whizzy" Brakes
Ok, I know some of you out there have now ridden home from your dealer with the new 2014 R1200 GSA. Let's hear some first impressions! (and photos)

:lurk

Let's hear some first impressions! (and photos)

:lurk

Rode it home yesterday after trading in my '11 GSA. First impressions, in no particular order . . .
it seems to turn in much quicker, the steering over all feels much lighter;
throttle-by-wire is very sensitive . . . either that or I'm more ham-fisted than I realized;
speaking of throttles and grips, the grips seem to be smaller diameter than my 'old' bike;
the clutch lever is incredibly light and smooth;
the computer display is much easier to read (YMMV);
the increased flywheel weight was noticeable immediately on start up . . . it is definitely smoother than my 'old' GSA (as if '11 is old); the gearbox is smooth, but then again my 'old' GSA was pretty smooth also (other than the clunk dropping it into 1st gear);
I'm 5'11" with a 31" inseam, with the seat in the 'low' position I was able to flat foot both feet at red lights along the way;
with the windscreen dialed up to maximum height I experienced zero wind buffeting on my helmet at 55mph;
heated grips in the 'hot' setting didn't seem to get as warm as the grips on my 'old' bike (I rode home in light rain and 38Degrees F);
there didn't seem to be as much engine-braking available on deceleration as the 'old' bike, but I may not have had the throttle all the way closed (see comment above on throttle-by-wire);
In keeping with the sub-5K rpm IAW the 'proper' break-in listed in the owner's manual AND considering the weather conditions AND new tires, I didn't try any hard acceleration, braking or cornering on the ride home. Just a nice, cold, wet, leisurely ride home.

Like I said these are first impressions having ridden less than 20 miles. There was nothing at all wrong with the old GSA, I just happened to be in a position that I was able to trade the old one for a new one with complete support from my wife (who knows I have a bike addiction . . . she's an enabler :) ).

Attachments

• '14 @12GSA - 2.jpg
    '14 @12GSA - 2.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 630
first time I have seen that bike in the blue scheme, it really looks good :nod

Picked mine up a couple of weeks ago and finally got some riding in this past weekend. Big difference coming from my 2011 RT. Much quicker handling, more leg room in the stock form and may not need to put lower pegs on this. Love the engine but do have to get smoother with the throttle. Learned that in dynamic mode, it's fairly easy to lift the front without really trying. :laugh Have to get used to the new clutch, the engagement range is very small. Staying below 5k rpm is frustrating, would really like to ring it out a bit....soon.

I mounted my Shad 50 case on the rear. Some additions this weekend will include 15mm bar riser, radiator guards, fuse block, heated jacket controller, and rear hyperlights. Awaiting case locks for the panniers and an MRA spoiler to add to the screen for a little better wind management.

Day 1
2014 BMW GSA Day 1.jpg

Here is my 2014 GSA after a short bath in the mud...

IMG_0139.jpg

IMG_0140.jpg

Got 1500 miles on her in 4 weeks and will have 3500 miles by the end of the month :)

Paul

I traded in my 2012 K1600 for the 2014 R1200GSAw

I love the GSA!! I never quite got along with the K bike. I had only 10k miles on it. I have had the GSA for 4.5 weeks and have 3600 miles on it.

While the torque is not a evident as the K bike I did not want for power.
The GSA is quite quick and in the corners I like it much better.
Wind protection on the lower body is as good as the K bike and at the top it is not quite as good.
I think the GSA is better in the cross winds than the K. I hit some 50 to 60 mph gusts through AZ two weeks ago.
The nav unit is easier to reach on the GSA.
The GSA has more handlebar vibration.
Comfort for me was equal on the long days. Max mileage was 752 in a day so far on the GSA.
Top case on the K holds more. Sides are almost equal...GSA a tad smaller.
K has more room for adding wire and controls for farkles. The GSA makes you think where you are putting things.
Range...GSA

Overall I am very happy with the swap. :clap

I have 1150 miles on my 14 GSA. Traded a 2012 Yamaha Tenere with 25,000 miles.
Really enjoy the BMW and love the Nav unit. I find it is faster, corners much better, smoother and controls much more refined. Not a fan of the shock seat 230lbs in gear so trying a Sargent seat that shipped today.
So far added front fender extender and mudslinger, Fast way pegs with every thing else stock.
Probably keep stock exhaust for the first time ever!
The Yamaha is ok for the money but once you test ride a GSA it is all over!

Got my GSA back in May. Moved from St Louis to San Diego and rode out here.

I owned a 2009 GSA and the GSAW is a better bike in almost every way. The technology in the new bike is great---ride modes (dynamic is a kick!), ESA that adjusts depending on your ride, adjustable windscreen and the Nav V setup with the wonder wheel.

It's not perfect though, the stock seat is just as bad as other BMW stockers and the wet clutch engages poorly---really have to rev the motor or easily dies in first gear.

I have 4800 miles on mine as of today. Purchased in late April and was out of the saddle most of May/June. My friend and I got them together and just did a ss1000 on the way to the MOA rally from Dayton, OH. The modes make a massive difference. Rain mode is like a little guardian angel keeping the rear end firmly planted on the pavement. Twist all you want, RPMs climb as it dictates. Dynamic is twitchy and fast. You seemingly get the most potential from the boxer. Road is governed a bit but smooth and reliable. I go this route for 2 up. Enduro seems to be dynamic with less abs interaction. I mirror what everyone else said. It's my first BMW and I will never go back. We all know the off-road prowess of the giant GS but it's nice to know that it really is limitless all around. Ride across the country on pavement? No worries. I do have an aftermarket Sargent seat. The stock was just a little too narrow in a crotchtacular way. Just a little firm as well. I have some guards and what not bolted on. Nothing performance changing. I will say that the 40mm risers we had Touratech add at the rally to both bikes made a tremendous difference for the standing position and increased comfort while siting. I am 6'3". Your mileage may vary there. The preload options are also fantastic and adjust what you would expect in terms of ride height. Changing the recoil from soft-normal-hard on the fly is also a great feature. Changing rain/dynamic/enduro/road only requires a closed throttle and fully engaged clutch while cruising. That's about all I can really say whilst sitting here on my phone. Would be happy to tackle any specific questions. Bottom line- this bike would have to work hard to disappoint even the most picky rider. You know a GS isn't a K when you buy one. If you want that K experience, get a K. Just know that this big GS is no slouch off the dirt. :)

Picked up my new R1200GSA on July 8. Added Jesse bags, put some miles on it, and had first service July 10. Packed and departed on a 3 week trip July 12. Attended the rally and spent more money. Added a taller windshield, some Touratech parts, and Clearwater lights. Rode all over the Midwest for the Team Strange Grand Tours, and arrived home yesterday. It was a 8052 mile trip. Bike now has 8623 miles.

I love this bike. Handles very well, and I really like the cruise control. Engine is very smooth and plenty of power. I do need to address the seat. Russell Day Long is coming up. Need to call and arrange a ride in in a few months. Home long enough to pay bills, laundry, service and clean bike, replace the rear tire and then off to Colorado for a week or so.

Still learning all the different setting for the suspension and also how to work the Clearwater lights. The lights were expensive, but completely engineered into the existing systems on the bike. No creative engineering on my part to mount, wire, etc the lights.

bob

Back