• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

C650GT mileage

bobfately

What kind of mileage are you folks getting on your 650GTs (or 600 Sports, I guess - same driver train). I asks because I unfortunately have been able to experience the 2013 and 2014 models, and the 2014 is showing noticeably lower MPG.

I bought my 2013 GT last may, and was averaging about 2K miles/month until I had an accident that totaled the bike in November (luckily I was able to walk away with only a swollen knee). I replaced it with the 2014 model in late December, and thus far have about 1700 miles (can't beat SoCal for riding all year round!). But I have always kept pretty scrupulous records of my gas purchases etc., and have found that while the 2013 model was getting about 50 MPG (+/-1) the new bike is getting around 46MPG. Same riding style, same gas (91 blend), same gas stations - in other words, no differences I can figure that would account for what is an 8% drop in MPG.

Still love the hell out of the bike, mind you - but I'm perplexed by this issue. So I am wondering what others are getting, mileage-wise.

Does southern Cal. use winter blend gas?

I believe we do have that here, in fact - good point, I guess that can affect mileage and since I bought the first bike in May that would have been after the blends were switched.

That said, though my other scooter (Vespa 300) which I've had for 3 years and has 30K miles on it doesn't seem to fluctuate much winter to summer, mileage-wise.

The economy on my '13 was in the mid or even lower 40s until the first service for some odd reason, after that it is up to what you were experiencing, about 50.

I got a low of 42 and as high as 48 but never got to 50. I always used 91 octane and tried to always us Chevron.

End of report, sold the scoot, now just a few remaining accessories for sale.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I Get 42 MPG

What kind of mileage are you folks getting on your 650GTs (or 600 Sports, I guess - same driver train). I asks because I unfortunately have been able to experience the 2013 and 2014 models, and the 2014 is showing noticeably lower MPG.

I bought my 2013 GT last may, and was averaging about 2K miles/month until I had an accident that totaled the bike in November (luckily I was able to walk away with only a swollen knee). I replaced it with the 2014 model in late December, and thus far have about 1700 miles (can't beat SoCal for riding all year round!). But I have always kept pretty scrupulous records of my gas purchases etc., and have found that while the 2013 model was getting about 50 MPG (+/-1) the new bike is getting around 46MPG. Same riding style, same gas (91 blend), same gas stations - in other words, no differences I can figure that would account for what is an 8% drop in MPG.

Still love the hell out of the bike, mind you - but I'm perplexed by this issue. So I am wondering what others are getting, mileage-wise.

Happy to hear about your "with only a swollen knee." I stopped tracking my mpg on my 2013 C650GT months ago. But after it was brand new, the mileage dropped to around 42, and I was careful how I broke it in. So congratulations on getting 46.

Up in Canada

In Canada I can say we don't care about mileage. We want to know how far we can go. I can tell you we get about 58.8 miles to a gallon or 67 miles to our gallon (Canadian) it is larger than yours. We have been on the metric system for years now and we would say I am getting 4 litres per 100 km but who really cares. If you feel your mileage sucks sell the scooter then see how much you loose. You bought the scooter for other reasons than the economy, think about the fun you have on it. If you want economy there are cars that get better mileage than the scooter. Go buy a Kia. Put mid grade fuel in your tank and drive.

We sell our oil to the states they process it and sell it back to us at a premium. We pay more for our gas, it sucks that is the way it is. I don't complain as it won't do anything. I like to ride and I assume you do to, so just do it.

Last edited:
What are the oil companies supposed to do, sell it back for the same price they bought it?
Build some refineries!

gas milage versus engine milage

I bought a 2013 demo with 2600 miles on it and promptly got 58 mpg. I'm sure t was run hard from the get go. The case was porous and BMW replaced it with a 2014. Immediately from 6 miles I got 42 mpg, but now after 2400 miles it's breaking in and I am getting consistently 52. I think the 14's are built tighter, so run the heck out of yours and see if it improves. I expect that after 5,000 miles it'll come up towards 60 as before. Alcohol blend will decrease mileage by 10% or more on leaner running engines. :german

2013 GT mileage

I also bought a demo in September 2013 with about 770 miles on it. I was averaging about 55 MPG (onboard computer) right from the start. Actual MPG seemed to stay about 2 MPG less. I noticed it had improve to around 60 MPG so I cleared the computer and have not reset it for the last 1,000 miles. Since mid June the average speed is right at 40 MPH and the MPG is at 65. Total mileage is right around 4,000. I'm knocking on wood when I say I haven't had a single issue or complaint with the machine and my 66 year old hips and knees are loving it.

Back