• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

The day the music died

....or so it is called. 55 years ago today Buddy Holly,Richie Vallens & The Big Bopper...died in a plane crash in Iowa.

I liked their music....did not / do not, know or care about their politics.....

R.I.P.

All were in the early stages of what were sure to be long careers. It's great to hear their music where you can find it on the radio (Sirius/XM 50's) And listen to Don McLean's "American Pie" for his tribute.

pete

Course, on a slightly happy note, my mom's birthday is today... and yes, she did read the papers the day the music died.

There used to be show on TV, called "Quantum Leap". Sci-Fi. The main character made travel through time and ended up somewhere and had to complete a task. He never knew what task, but somehow he came to it. When he did - poof - he went back to his time.
One episode he ends up somewhere in a rural area in the mid-west. He has no idea what kind of problem he has to solve. He is there several days or weeks until one day he runs into the kid of the family he is staying with who sits on the porch of the farm-house and strums his guitar. A small pig is roaming in front of him and the kid tries to put some words to the melody he is playing.
And all he can do is singing the name of the pig; "Piggy, oh piggy sue". The time traveler then tells him: "Try Peggy, Buddy, try Peggy!" Poof -he is gone!

Not a fan of Don McLean. I like the song The Day The Music Died and even have Buddy Holly on my iPod, but McLean and his crew no. They played at the Military Academy in the 70s. They trashed the locker room they were given as a dressing room and painted anti-military slogans of the day on the lockers. Not my kinda guy.

Thankfully, Waylon Jennings was not on the flight with the others as he might have expected to be. We would have been cheated out of many years of his music as well.

Not a fan of Don McLean. I like the song The Day The Music Died and even have Buddy Holly on my iPod, but McLean and his crew no. They played at the Military Academy in the 70s. They trashed the locker room they were given as a dressing room and painted anti-military slogans of the day on the lockers. Not my kinda guy.

Thankfully, Waylon Jennings was not on the flight with the others as he might have expected to be. We would have been cheated out of many years of his music as well.

Isn't he [Jennings] the one? who gave up his seat to Big Bopper?:scratch

Didn't know that about McLean..thanks for sharing...& shame on him!:nono

Correct.

J.P. "The Big Bopper" Richardson, who was affected by the flu, swapped places with Waylon Jennings, taking the latter's place on the plane, while Tommy Allsup lost his place to Ritchie Valens on a coin toss. Dion DiMucci (of Dion and the Belmonts fame) decided not to board the plane for the $36 fee.

:dance:dance:dance

Correct.

J.P. "The Big Bopper" Richardson, who was affected by the flu, swapped places with Waylon Jennings, taking the latter's place on the plane, while Tommy Allsup lost his place to Ritchie Valens on a coin toss. Dion DiMucci (of Dion and the Belmonts fame) decided not to board the plane for the $36 fee.

:dance:dance:dance

Interesting bit of history. Thanks.

The plane came in because the tour bus the performers were using had no heat...in early February. Currently it's 8 below here in central NE and colder in Storm Lake IA. I'd have opted for the plane, too.

Back