• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Closed thread

A lot of us aren't very good at this.

Sorry, but like most things, education and training are required.

A couple things ...

Nothing (zero, zip, nada) about simply being a motorcyclist makes you an expert on "freedom" in a political science context.

The concept "if you don't like it, don't read it" is inane and about as indicative of lack of education as it gets. Life is about effect, and little about intent. Are ya gonna use a racial epithet in the wrong situation and tell those sensitive to that that if they don't like it don't listen? Sorry, but you're mistaken if you think you're "free" to say anything you want. Always and anywhere. You've got more learning to go.

It's just motorcycles here is the best approach.

A lot of us aren't very good at this.

Sorry, but like most things, education and training are required.

A couple things ...

Nothing (zero, zip, nada) about simply being a motorcyclist makes you an expert on "freedom" in a political science context.

The concept "if you don't like it, don't read it" is inane and about as indicative of lack of education as it gets. Life is about effect, and little about intent. Are ya gonna use a racial epithet in the wrong situation and tell those sensitive to that that if they don't like it don't listen? Sorry, but you're mistaken if you think you're "free" to say anything you want. Always and anywhere. You've got more learning to go.

It's just motorcycles here is the best approach.

I don't like to think I am a stupid person, but I just can't understand that post. Could ikchris perhaps clarify what he is trying to communicate?

Or said another way... If you don't like the Posting Guidelines...you don't come inside and ignore them. You go to where the rules match how and what you want to discuss.

:dance:dance:dance

Those "rules" you talk about weren't on the 10 commandment tablets of stone. They can be changed. I try to abide by them (in spite of the fact that some get by with preferential treatment), but sometimes one has to speak up.

The second problem is that the "rules" are interpreted by the mods, and certainly their interpretations are not without bias. Who saying what matters.

Those "rules" you talk about weren't on the 10 commandment tablets of stone. They can be changed. I try to abide by them (in spite of the fact that some get by with preferential treatment), but sometimes one has to speak up.

The second problem is that the "rules" are interpreted by the mods, and certainly their interpretations are not without bias. Who saying what matters.

The moderators are the ones that must read the posts. They are the ones that can not choose to ignore a thread. They are the ones that must make the judgment call of what actions to take when a member flags a post as maybe over the top.

These the POSTING GUIDELINES they have been given to work with.
What in the guidelines would you change?
Why and to what end?
How would you word the change?
How would you enforce the change?

Throwing stones while having a bit of a rant or trying to build a community?

:lurk

This is addressed to EVERYONE:

PLEASE!
If you have an issue: FOLLOW THE GUIDELINES (Have you REALLY read them?) http://forums.bmwmoa.org/faq.php?faq=vb_faq#faq_postingguidelines

In Part:

I. User Conduct and Posting Policy

Concerns and Complaints

Moderator actions are final, and moderators are not to be harassed either publicly or via PM. If you feel that you have been treated unfairly by a moderator, then your course of action is to bring the issue to the attention of the Forum Liaison at liaison@bmwmoa.org. It will help to have a complete explanation of your thoughts with links to specific threads and posts, so that the liaison can get an understanding of your side of the issue.

If you see a posting that you feel is inappropriate and want to bring it to the moderation team's attention, please do not try to do this by posting in the thread. Instead, at the bottom left of every posting is a blue exclamation mark . Click on this button and write a short statement indicating the problem you perceive with the post. The button is also available in the private message (PM) system, and you can report unwanted PMs to the moderators, too. The moderation team will receive and review your report. Please have some patience, as the moderators are volunteers and it may take a while before they have an opportunity to check it out.

Your issues should be taken up with the FORUM LIASON NOT continually posted on the forum. (Has anyone actually contacted him???)

We have received NUMEROUS complaints about SEVERAL posters recently in this and the Philip Seymour Hoffman thread. If the tone and content don't change our next step according to the GUIDELINES is:

II. Suspension of Posting Privileges

We don't take suspending posting privileges lightly, but we are also serious about maintaining a friendly and fraternal atmosphere on the forum. If a user threatens that with violations of these posting guidelines, they may have their posting privileges suspended.

The forum software provides a facility called infractions. The basic idea is that moderators can issue an infraction against a user that violates the posting guidelines. Infractions build up points, and when the point total reaches certain levels, the user is automatically banned. The length of time a ban lasts depends on how many points the user has acquired. The points also expire after a while, so a user's point total will tend to return to zero.

You can view your own history and status by clicking on the User CP link at the top of every forum page. Only you and the moderators can see this information.

It is possible to become permanently banned from the forum when enough points are acquired in a short enough period. The user will remain banned until such a time as the BMW MOA Board of Directors, acting on a petition by the banned user for the probationary return of posting privileges, approves of the probationary lifting of the suspension.

The point totals that lead to banning, and the length of a ban, are subject to occasional revision. Currently, they are:

Point Total Length of Ban
10 Points 2 Days
13 Points 7 Days
16 Points 2 Weeks
18 Points 1 Month
20 Points 3 Months
25 Points Permanent
Moderators have complete freedom to assign points and their expiration length. Typically, they are assigned according to perceived severity of the infraction, between 2 and 5 points, lasting for 1-2 months. Users with a history of infractions or who egregiously violate the guidelines can receive a greater number of points with longer expiration times. All moderation actions are final, subject to review by the Forum Liaison.

PLEASE, EVERYONE, just take it down a notch or two. Resist the urge for tit for tat useless oneupsmanship and the moderators can and will back out of the picture.

Last edited:
Or said another way... If you don't like the Posting Guidelines...you don't come inside and ignore them. You go to where the rules match how and what you want to discuss.

And just how ? did I ignore the guidelines?. By not agreeing with you ? Having a different perspective on the issue than some others?

PLEASE. Give it a rest and read post #46 one more time.

If you have an issue with the guidelines (the whole point of this thread) take it up with the Forum Liason.

Thanks.

And just how ? did I ignore the guidelines?. By not agreeing with you ? Having a different perspective on the issue than some others?

+1, Gunny; just went back and read all Ron's comments, an obvious guideline violation is certainly not jumping off the page at me! jes' sayin' and nuff said!

PLEASE. Give it a rest and read post #46 one more time.

If you have an issue with the guidelines (the whole point of this thread) take it up with the Forum Liason.

Thanks.

OK, just read it. Show me where I ignored , whatever you seem to think I ignored ?

I have no issue with the guidelines , and stayed within them...

So by closing a thread you are saying that even though this is a paid membership , we as members cannot discuss what we choose to ? legal issues/topics,.. even in a civil manner?.

That is correct. Since you obviously disagree, your next step should be to take it up with the Forum Liason, NOT to continue argueing on this forum.

Or said another way...if you do not like the topic...you wait outside by not opening the thread & then complaining about what is being discussed....

That is not what the Guidelines say. If you disagree with the guidelines, talk to the Forum Liason.

Jim C. / Ron / Don -

I respect your efforts to try and establish a level playing field on this Forum, but for now, I think that's an unrealistic goal.

While I too can read English, and therefore understand (not the same as 'agreeing') that firearms, abortion, politics, religion, etc. shall not be subjects of commentary, it's frustrating when certain personalities seem to enjoy immunity, even when characterizing my faith as "pollution."

That verbiage was brought to the attention of moderators and the response is a private matter between him and I, but it didn't leave me satisfied.

I think any further bantering here is counter-productive to solving these issues (civility, topics that are or should be tolerated, deviation from topics, moderation bias, etc.).

I hope to see Bob (Executive Director) this weekend at the IMS in Chicago for a face-to-face chat on how the Forum might be altered, managed and/or improved.

Until then, I suggest a "stand-down" and let comments/responses bounce off thick skin. :banghead

Or said another way... If you don't like the Posting Guidelines...you don't come inside and ignore them. You go to where the rules match how and what you want to discuss. :dance:dance:dance

Some will and when renewal comes around.........

While I too can read English, and therefore understand (not the same as 'agreeing') that firearms, abortion, politics, religion, etc. shall not be subjects of commentary, it's frustrating when certain personalities seem to enjoy immunity, even when characterizing my faith as "pollution."

Kevin,

Taking into account your previous employment, I would have expected accuracy to be high on your priorities.

In that interest, here is the complete quote:

There are a few thousand places on the internet where you all are free to preach or yell at each other regarding drugs, addiction, sexuality, politics, religion, guns, or whatever you want. But on this BMW motorcycle fourm this is all just pollution. Please go pollute someplace else.

The operative words here are: PREACH OR YELL REGARDING. That is what is POLLUTION. Since Forum discussions of drugs, sexuality, politics, religion, or guns generally end up with a lot of yelling and preaching they BECOME pollution.

The subject (or your religion) was NOT characterized as pollution, the inevitable preaching or yelling that would come of such a discussion is what was characterized as pollution. NO ONE ATTACKED YOUR RELIGION. That's EXACTLY what we as moderarors are trying our damndest to prevent by trying to keep to the guidelines.

Jim C. / Ron / Don -

I respect your efforts to try and establish a level playing field on this Forum, but for now, I think that's an unrealistic goal.

That verbiage was brought to the attention of moderators and the response is a private matter between him and I, but it didn't leave me satisfied.

I think any further bantering here is counter-productive to solving these issues (civility, topics that are or should be tolerated, deviation from topics, moderation bias, etc.).

I hope to see Bob (Executive Director) this weekend at the IMS in Chicago for a face-to-face chat on how the Forum might be altered, managed and/or improved.

Until then, I suggest a "stand-down" and let comments/responses bounce off thick skin. :banghead

I have never displayed [thin] skin. And see nowhere that I went outside the guidelines. I only expressed my opinion on a current event. and that opinion differ's from that of some other members.

That is correct. Since you obviously disagree, your next step should be to take it up with the Forum Liason, NOT to continue argueing on this forum.

That is not what the Guidelines say. If you disagree with the guidelines, talk to the Forum Liason.

Common sense would tell [me] to not open a thread if I do like the subject. As opposed to opening it then telling another poster he/she has no right post it.

The subject (or your religion) was NOT characterized as pollution, the inevitable preaching or yelling that would come of such a discussion is what was characterized as pollution. NO ONE ATTACKED YOUR RELIGION. That's EXACTLY what we as moderarors are trying our damndest to prevent by trying to keep to the guidelines.

Lee,

You are fighting the good fight. I wish you well and find it humorous that they decided to take the issue to the executive director instead of the board.

Jon

Jim C. / Ron / Don -

+ 100 Kevin

I don't come to a motorcycle forum to hear people bickering about politics or anything like that. There is an off topic thread on another forum I belong to and it is simple enough to avoid and not go in that thread because it only irritates me. The moderators however do have to deal with it and constantly monitor it. I wouldn't want to deal with it. Gets old quick I'm sure. People can't seem to agree to disagree and then it get's ugly. I agree with akbeemer.

Back