• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Closed thread

So by closing a thread you are saying that even though this is a paid membership , we as members cannot discuss what we choose to ? legal issues/topics,.. even in a civil manner?.

Now after 25 years I must consider my desire to remain here & or in MOA altogether...

It's still the same thing as I mentioned earlier Ron- we don't discuss a few topics here on the MOA forum, politics is one of them. Been that way for a long time.
OM

The way I see it is like this; If you want to bash Pete Seeger, there are plenty of places online to do that. Same for singing his accolades.

It is a given that there are two sides to this story. Do we need to bring it amongst ourselves, to cause ill feelings & divide us as a family?

Ken

It is that "civil manner" part that is the fly in the ointment. Never seems to happen.

We absolutely should ban any discussion of riding by members who live in warm locations while there are some us hunkered down to survive winter. That is just not right.... unless I happen to be down there riding with them.

It is that "civil manner" part that is the fly in the ointment. Never seems to happen.

We absolutely should ban any discussion of riding by members who live in warm locations while there are some us hunkered down to survive winter. That is just not right.... unless I happen to be down there riding with them.

"It is that "civil manner" part that is the fly in the ointment. Never seems to happen."

I understand that, and if tempers flare, and language gets heavy.....so what? we are all adults here. And I think most of can keep it civil. Someone said that there are places to discuss it. OK true but I'm likely not interested in [their] opinion. I'm more interested in the opinion of those whom I share other interest with...such as BMW motorcycles.

Struck me odd that in the thread before it was closed...the mention of communism was raised....then we were told we could not discuss it any farther........talk about Irony....:blush

It's still the same thing as I mentioned earlier Ron- we don't discuss a few topics here on the MOA forum, politics is one of them. Been that way for a long time.
OM

Too bad. But so what? That restriction didn't come from God, it is some rule of someone at the MOA. It can and should be changed.

Many topics (like helmet wearing) are heavily involved in one's political opinion. Should be allowed to be discussed without restriction.

Other topics like volunteering or helping kids are heavily influenced by one's religious views (as are all topics or subjects) and should be permitted to be discussed without restriction.

Everyone has a religious view on every subject that is discussed, I don't care what it is. I suggest the no-religion-or-politics-in-forum-people should study up on Philosophy and a branch called "Presuppositionalism." One's root belief or value system is what determines what one says and does and his/her opinions on everything!

Ron,
I will try to give you a bit more reason since it seems Omega Man didn't give you what you wanted. I surely hope you aren't referencing the moderators in your last post as to our following the posting guidelines here.

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/faq.php?faq=vb_faq#faq_postingguidelines

I post this as others will wonder what's up and I have the time today.

These type of opinion filled hot topic discussions have no value to furthering any sense of community here. It is a motorcycle forum that doesn't get wrapped up in a whole lot of chest poking. Every Winter when folks are antsy, things get a little heated , but usually are over what oil or which battery?
Yes, we are all adults by age, however, some folks just will not accept different viewpoints and act like anything but adults.
So what you say? It just causes a lot of heartburn between members and really hard to moderate w/out a lot of hard feelings.
Remember us moderators are riders and volunteers...and members. I don't need to spend a lot of time reading every posting when the door is wide open...kind of takes the pleasure of being a part of this community. I as a member do not want my BMW's mixed with the banned topics here and most members feel the same way.

There was an attempt a few years back with a less strict/off topic area..we called it the Tavern, preceded by DGT (don't go there) It was only viewable to members and covered a lot of hot button topics. It just bred ill will and some personal physical threats( not keyboard attacks)...not just witty banter.
We tried/it did not work here and we moved on. Most of the folks who used a flamethrower just for fun have moved on or just realize this is not the place. At least one member was banned for life.

There are other forums that have a lot of BMW riders, some from here as well, that will take these discussions to your hearts content and/or maybe raise your blood pressure.

Hope this restriction doesn't make/break your decision to be a member. But that's your call.

I also frequent a certain motorcycle forum based in the UK. I was blown away by their civil discussions on politics and religion. Many different views, and everyone keeps it very civil.

What all too frequently happens on most forums is it devolves into ugliness and hard feelings.

I'm not angered by the rules here and in other forums. There's rules in every aspect of our lives, if we don't like them, we are free to leave, whether it be this forum, our jobs, etc.

The forum has become more PC over the years I have participated. In the early days we had a gun thread that lasted well over 100 posts before it shot off the round that locked it down. After a couple of others that made it close to 100 the decision was made (at some level) to have guns and gun discussions checked at the door.

Photographs and links can get you in trouble. My first moderator warning was for using a full page add Bentley had published in the Financial Times in response to comments and ads run by Rolls Royce Motorcars. It was fine for them and the FT to tell the world what they wanted. It showed up on doorsteps, news stands and the magazine racks of several flights I was on. It could not be used on this forum.

One of my degrees is in Political Science. Poli Sci is nothing more than the study of how people organize themselves and run those organizations. It is part of everyday in that sense. Early on people decided that they did not want to talk about politics when they joined around a campfire. At that time there were perhaps 3-5 sub forums and Campfire was the name of one. People who do like to discuss politics, philosophies and such pushed back. DGT was the first effort, and aptly named. It was a screaming room. My guess was it would tone down to shouting then active debate given time. It was not. We pushed back again and the Tavern was opened. It never really found a sustainable group and unfortunately was closed down.

You can say almost anything on the forum if you word it carefully. In the main that can result in you meaning being lost. In the main body of the forum party politics or ideological rants can result in any thread.

I am not always certain where the boundary is. If in posting or reading a response you wonder if you are close you probably are.

Closed thread: So by closing a thread you are saying that even though this is a paid membership , we as members cannot discuss what we choose to ? legal issues/topics,.. even in a civil manner?.

Now after 25 years I must consider my desire to remain here & or in MOA altogether...

Too bad. But so what? That restriction didn't come from God, it is some rule of someone at the MOA. It can and should be changed.

"It is that "civil manner" part that is the fly in the ointment. Never seems to happen."

I understand that, and if tempers flare, and language gets heavy.....so what? we are all adults here. And I think most of can keep it civil. Someone said that there are places to discuss it. OK true but I'm likely not interested in [their] opinion. I'm more interested in the opinion of those whom I share other interest with...such as BMW motorcycles.

Struck me odd that in the thread before it was closed...the mention of communism was raised....then we were told we could not discuss it any farther........talk about Irony....:blush

+1, Gunny; after 35 years as a Member I also am reconsidering my desire to remain on this Forum or in the MOA altogether, at age 65 and an Army Veteran I don't need to be censored as to what can be said here! At this point in my life I don't need an Irish Mother, my Irish Mom is still alive and well! As was stated, we're all adults here!

As was stated, we're all adults here!

Chronologically speaking, that is probably mostly true. But some do not act that way.

Point to this thread or whatever for a reason to rethink your membership, but maybe after being a member for 35 years, you're just bored?

It's OK, people. You can come and you can go. What I don't understand is the need to post a reason as if to give all of us a " So There !" (Stomp your feet) moment.

. What I don't understand is the need to post a reason as if to give all of us a " So There !" (Stomp your feet) moment.

It's more like F@#K Off.........for sure.....Folks get really sick and tired of someone twisting what they say to suit the other's needs.......Some get really tired of a "person" telling them what they can and cannot say".....Other folks don't give a rat's tail about being politically correct whether it is guns, politics, LGBT, millinials, yuppification of these United States, or so called bigotry....And then like me, some would take you out behind the woodshed and let you know where you do not need to go too. No matter what it took to get that message across....Yes, to some death before dishonor means something. To those of us that fought and saw others die to have that right, a little bit of verbal confrontation is a very thin line to walk.....God bless.......Dennis

Oh......If I have hurt your feelings, I surely did not mean to. Was just joking you know.....:nyah....that's all I need to do to cover myself for those unintentional intentials. Ya know? :kiss

Last edited:
It's more like F@#K Off.........for sure.....Folks get really sick and tired of someone twisting what they say to suit the other's needs.......Some get really tired of a "person" telling them what they can and cannot say".....Other folks don't give a rat's tail about being politically correct whether it is guns, politics, LGBT, millinials, yuppification of these United States, or so called bigotry....And then like me, some would take you out behind the woodshed and let you know where you do not need to go too. No matter what it took to get that message across....Yes, to some death before dishonor means something. To those of us that fought and saw others die to have that right, a little bit of verbal confrontation is a very thin line to walk.....God bless.......Dennis

Oh......If I have hurt your feelings, I surely did not mean to. Was just joking you know.....:nyah....that's all I need to do to cover myself for those unintentional intentials. Ya know? :kiss

Does anybody know what DennisDarrow is trying to communicate? Or would he care to explain what he means? I haven't a clue how the above words relate to closing a topic.

+1, Gunny; Brother Dennis, I know from your excellent post that you served your Country well; we Soldiers, Airmen, Sailors and Marines that fought for freedom realize how extremely important our rights are including the right of free and uncensored speech! HOOAH!

Last edited:
OK guys, to get this back to a discussion of the posting guidelines- Try to think of it like driving on the road. There are rules like staying in your own lane, stop signs and speed limits. You agreed to pretty much follow these rules when you signed up for your license. In the "larger picture" these rules are to keep everyone moving in the same direction and help prevent chaos.
Here on the Forum, it's the same thing and way back when you first signed up, you agreed to follow the Posting Guidelines.
It is nothing about "free speech" or anything that makes things miserable- you still can't yell "fire" in a movie theater.
Let's try to spend as much time as we can making the Forum an enjoyable, fun, relevant and informative place to visit.
Gary

Okay I think we should have a $25.00 fine when hyphens aren't used correctly Two or more hyphenation violations within a month brings a suspension However there will be no fines for leaving out any other punctuations Okay BTW Im kidding

I think the only thread that has not devolved into members sniping at each other is the Word Association thread, and some of the words over there are getting a bit cantankerous. :wave

Okay I think we should have a $25.00 fine when hyphens aren't used correctly Two or more hyphenation violations within a month brings a suspension However there will be no fines for leaving out any other punctuations Okay BTW Im kidding

Could we get extra credit or some sort of special dispensation when a smart phone incorrectly corrects our spelwring?

....then we were told we could not discuss it any further........

I used to get upset we didn't have an area to say what we wanted to say, uncensored. But when I compare this forum to others, it is nice just not to discuss those topics that quickly, and always, devolve into uncivil arguments. One can always PM a person and discuss topics offline, as some have done with my comments in the past.

If this were a general forum, fine. But this is a motorcycle forum; keeping it more focused and civil is a good thing.

Discussing politics, religions, guns, etc., is about as useless and tactless on a forum as correcting another poster's grammar.

Back