• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Gas Smell on R 1200 GS WC 2013

I traded in my 2003 K 1200 gt that I put over 70k on for a R 1200 GS WC - 2013 on Jan 3rd of this year. I've put about 1,500 miles on the bike - it had 5,500 on it when I purchased. I have enjoyed the bike - light and powerful but......there is a gas smell. Can't connect it with anything. I spoke with the first owner - he is riding a 14 with every option you can get on a GS - he said he had the same issue with the bike. Anybody else having this issue?

I haven't that issue. If I did I'd...

• Verify the fuel cap is closing all the way
  • Remove the tank center cover (5 screws) and ensure that the vent lines are properly connected
  • Remove the tank and verify fuel connections

and maybe a few other things, too. Maybe the fuel cap seal isn't sealing, for example. Since the bike is still under warranty my first plan of action would likely be bitch to the dealer. :fight

looked at some of it...

Yes, I took off most of the plastic on the tank - I thought I had found the problem because the line to the charcoal filter was not on all the way - it had slipped back on the pipe near the filler cap. There was some fuel or wetness around the filler cap. I put the line all the way on the pipe and cleaned up the little bit of residue of fuel on the plastic tank. I drove the bike 200 miles today and .....still had a strong smell of gas on heavy acceleration. It does not seem to have anything to do with the level of the tank. I had replaced the quick connects on my 03 GT - do you think this bike has those same quick connects? I need to find a service manuel for the bike. I purchased the DVD done by JVB on Wethead Service - it is very good.

I suppose the fuel line O-rings could be an issue. :dunno

To remove the tank first remove the plastic, then the 4 screws under the saddle near the rear of the tank where the front saddle height adjuster connects. Disconnect the breather hoses. Pull the fuse carrier from its resting position. Slide the tank back a bit and you will see the same kind of set up found with the earlier bikes: two electrical connections (one to the fuel pump controller) and a 90 degree Quick Disconnect.

I have not removed my tank all the way. I did pull the tank back a bit to see how much effort the job would take.

Check to see that the red rubber retainer ring is still seated on the underside of the fuel cap assembly. Mine fell off and into the tank allowing the two sealing discs above it to fall off also - thus no seal. I replaced the red ring with an ordinary o-ring until the dealer replaced the entire fuel cap and recoded the lock (warranty).

Oh, yeah.... that. Mine came loose a few times, but only at fuel stops. I was always able to push the assembly back together until the cap was replaced under warranty. I never had the smell of gas, but then I never lost the retainer, either.

Encountered the gas smell after my first fill-up on the new 2014 GS and found the cap wasn't quite closing/locking all the way, even though it looked closed at first glance. I have to press down really hard or smack it with my hand to get it to seat/lock. I will have the dealer look at it when it goes in for service.

Thanks for the suggestions -

I brought it in to the dealer (before the snow storm today - yes, it was yesterday but still very cold) It needs the 6.0k service. They said they will check it out. Not sure how much they can drive it in these very cold conditions but I am leaving it there several days - hopefully then can figure it out. With it only happening on a hard acceleration - it might be tough to find - we shall see.

I was at local dealer yesterday. A fella I've met a number of times came in that owns a 2013 GSW.
We talked about the bike a bit.

He said that the aluminum tank on the new GSAW would be an advantage over the plastic GSW tank.
Why, I asked, other than larger capacity?
Then he spoke of a gas smell problem with the bike. Especially when tanked up.
On his, turned out that the top of the tank, where the filler attaches was not flat. Wavy / not flat (production defect or other) and the filler assembly could not mate properly.
Tank was replaced, problem solved.

Perhaps when you accelerate hard, gas splashes up there by the filler mating surface like when the gent tanks up, and liquid & vapors escape.

d'milan

Still Working on it!

Friends,

They put a new cap @ o ring - still did not correct the problem. They are requesting approval from BMW to replace the fuel tank. This one to appears to be warped & the gasket will not seat correctly. Sure hope BMW gets this right - I sure enjoy everything else about the bike but it is not enjoyable to ride with the gas smell.

I was at local dealer yesterday. A fella I've met a number of times came in that owns a 2013 GSW.

He said that the aluminum tank on the new GSAW would be an advantage over the plastic GSW tank.
On his, turned out that the top of the tank, where the filler attaches was not flat. Wavy / not flat (production defect or other) and the filler assembly could not mate properly.

Perhaps when you accelerate hard, gas splashes up there by the filler mating surface like when the gent tanks up, and liquid & vapors escape.

d'milan

I traded in my 2003 K 1200 gt that I put over 70k on for a R 1200 GS WC - 2013 on Jan 3rd of this year. I've put about 1,500 miles on the bike - it had 5,500 on it when I purchased. I have enjoyed the bike - light and powerful but......there is a gas smell. Can't connect it with anything. I spoke with the first owner - he is riding a 14 with every option you can get on a GS - he said he had the same issue with the bike. Anybody else having this issue?

Ever get it remedied?

Smelling Gas on the G/S

I just received a recall notification for my K1300S -- and apparently the G/S is included here -- for a weak fuel pump bracket that can cause a fuel line to break loose. Not sure if it applies to your specific bike but if you smell fuel, I'd be careful and call the dealer to find if the issue affects your bike. Good luck.

Kent

2007 gas smell

My 2007 R1200RT had the gas smell. It is the subject of a recall now on 50,000 BMW motorcycles.

Mine has been fixed and no longer smells.

Contact your BMW dealer.

Same issue

I just purchased my used 13 GS and have the same gas odor issue. I have noticed gas on the pair on the right side of the tank. I pulled the Tupperware and gas cap off and was disappointed with me findings. The plastic gas tank is not reinforced around the cut out for the gas cap and that area is warped. I'll attempt to up load photos, the gap is rather large.image.jpeg

d'milan

I can't really contribute to this thread, but only to say I had a gas smell after refuelling the 17 GSA... It was all my fault, I trusted the gas station to close the tank (full service stations here) and it turns out with Keyless ride you really need to ensure the lift flap is opened then full closed and seated. I'm surprised the engine ran as smoothly as it did.. I should have expected issues being the tank wasn't sealed properly.

Thanks

Went to the dealer today, they will look at it on Thursday. As warped as the seating surface is, I'm concerned about water and debrise in the fuel system. Not sure what the fix is. No recalls for this problem however, I've seen several complaints about it. The service writer acted like it was the first time he had heard or seen anything like this. Attached photo of the gap between fuel cap assembly and mating surface. The photo doesn't depict it but, you can see into the gas tank.image.jpeg

Went to the dealer today, they will look at it on Thursday. As warped as the seating surface is, I'm concerned about water and debrise in the fuel system. Not sure what the fix is. No recalls for this problem however, I've seen several complaints about it. The service writer acted like it was the first time he had heard or seen anything like this. Attached photo of the gap between fuel cap assembly and mating surface. The photo doesn't depict it but, you can see into the gas tank.View attachment 60690

How many miles and months? If in warranty this would seem to be a warranty claim.

Bought the bike used in January of this year with 10K miles. The warranty ended January of this year. Sure hope they can work a warranty deal.

Back