• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Gas Smell on R 1200 GS WC 2013

New tank

I got a call from the dealership today. They will be replacing the tank free of charge and free of labor costs. I hope they have corrected the design flaw on the new tank.

1200GS LC '13 Gas Smell: Warped Gas tank top, small gasket, large filler bolt circle

New to me '13 GS LC has gas smell w more than half tank when riding anything but sedately. Bought new gas filler gasket, removed filler and saw a small 2.9" gasket (outside dia.) and a 4 inch bolt circle and warps that don't flatten out when filler is mounted to tank.

I wanted to seal the gaps from the warps without adding to them so I laid some Permatex silicone gasket maker goo on the tank and mounted my new gasket and the filler on top.

Let cure a day and then fill and try it.

It's out of warranty so feel I should try something.

Hoping the gasket maker holds up to the alcohol laden gas that weeps toward the warps under the 3 inch filler gasket. Plan to test tomorrow without the tank color panel attached yet to see any weepage better.

Update: 5,000 miles later: All good. The Permatex Gasket maker lasts, not a whiff and I took out the Calif. fill pipe extender with a simple 1/4 turn so if fills even more full, more chance to smell than ever. Stinks that the tank top warps so much. Would never mount a tankbag to the fill hole which is just 6 brass nut inserts into this warpy plastic.

Attachments

• IMG_4108 copy.jpg
    IMG_4108 copy.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
New to me '13 GS LC has gas smell w more than half tank when riding anything but sedately. Bought new gas filler gasket, removed filler and saw a small 2.9" gasket (outside dia.) and a 4 inch bolt circle and warps that don't flatten out when filler is mounted to tank.

I wanted to seal the gaps from the warps without adding to them so I laid some Permatex silicone gasket maker goo on the tank and mounted my new gasket and the filler on top.

Let cure a day and then fill and try it.

It's out of warranty so feel I should try something.

Hoping the gasket maker holds up to the alcohol laden gas that weeps toward the warps under the 3 inch filler gasket. Plan to test tomorrow without the tank color panel attached yet to see any weepage better.
I would still check with the dealer. Emissions warranty is frequently longer that the warranty of the “whole”.
OM

Another R 1200 GS WC 2013 with gas tank filler leak

Guys - wondering if the make-your-own gasket approach helped or hurt the problem? I am the second owner of a 2013 WC GS and I assumed the gas smell I was getting was due to overfilling. During my last annual the dealer tech smelled the bike in my trailer when I dropped it off and immediately was alarmed. He diagnosed the wavy top of the tank shown in pictures on this thread very soon afterward. He advised a new tank would run around $1K. Pretty disappointing on a bike with less than 10K on the odometer, and previous owner was my best friend (RIP).

Back