• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Alternate spin on/off fuel caps

Desert John
Before I name the brand, can someone tell me what success or failure they've had with aftermarket twist on/off fuel caps? Mine smells like gas for at least 40 miles and that is unacceptable. Perhaps other makes work okay?

The BMW caps, which we've all used for years, fails on two counts: that ridiculous pink "tit" that sticks down and totally interferes with the gas filler's nozzle and, of course, the key requirement which adds to fuel stop fumbling.

Forget security?I can't imagine someone siphoning out my fuel or even pouring sugar into my tank. That comes under the same listing as getting hit by a meteorite!

Thanks for your input.

What model? We have owned 25 different BMWs and currently own 9 and I don't recall any with a pink tit that interferes with fueling, or any that had aftermarket caps that smelled for 40 miles or 40 feet.

Before I name the brand, can someone tell me what success or failure they've had with aftermarket twist on/off fuel caps? Mine smells like gas for at least 40 miles and that is unacceptable. Perhaps other makes work okay?

The BMW caps, which we've all used for years, fails on two counts: that ridiculous pink "tit" that sticks down and totally interferes with the gas filler's nozzle and, of course, the key requirement which adds to fuel stop fumbling.

Forget security?I can't imagine someone siphoning out my fuel or even pouring sugar into my tank. That comes under the same listing as getting hit by a meteorite!

Thanks for your input.

As Paul suggests, the model of your bike would be helpful. If it's a K1200LT then you do need to unlock it to fuel it up. However there is a simple modification you can look up over on bmwlt.com to eliminate the key issue. If you are smelling fumes after fueling, you are likely over-filling it. The LTs are only filled to the bottom of the threads. More than that and it can overflow into the cannister or onto the ground if the cannister has been removed.

Thank you AKBeemer. It's my '13 R1200GS LC, but the offending "pink tit" has been on all my recent BMWs, from my K1200GT to my K1200R to my K1600GT to four GSs. You unlock the gas cap and it hinges back toward you exposing a "pink" protrusion that's sort of cone shaped. I'm sure it's to make some sort of seal so gas and fumes are contained. The aftermarket "spin on" caps also seal, naturally, but the brand I had installed seems to have some venting problems down in the neck area because unless I only fill to within 2-3 inches of the top, I get the gas smell.

Surely some of you have installed aftermarket gas caps? Please tell us how they worked for you.

Thanks.

Actually, the reason most bikes have flush, locking gas caps is to keep them from popping open in a accident. I had a 75 Honda that was recalled to add a gas cap lock for that very reason.

Makes sense yet the spin on aftermarket seems to be thriving. Check out the ads in publications featuring import bikes, like Ducatis, etc. You'll see several brands of aftermarket goodies.

Another reason for the flush caps is to reduce the danger of damaging one's groin in the event of a very sudden stop (as in hitting the fool who just turned left in front of you).

As for stealing or contaminating the fuel - if you live in a big city, those are very real and valid concerns.

I have used both Slingshot and Rizoma caps. I prefer Rizoma due to the quality and the need for a special tool to open the cap. I did have one brand of gas cap that smelled of gas fumes and removed it before I took the bike out of the garage.

Those who have ridden long enough may remember that some older bikes had a rep for catching fire after minor crashes due to faulty gas caps.
One such bike from my youth was the Suzuki Hustler.

I don't agree with the OP. I've got a Transalp with a removable screw cap and I much prefer BMWs cap and overfill containment system. Its both more convenient and safer.

Those who have ridden long enough may remember that some older bikes had a rep for catching fire after minor crashes due to faulty gas caps.
One such bike from my youth was the Suzuki Hustler.

I don't agree with the OP. I've got a Transalp with a removable screw cap and I much prefer BMWs cap and overfill containment system. Its both more convenient and safer.

And you don't have to worry about losing the cap.

Give Jerry a call and ask if he has a cap that works for the new GSW. He carries two different brands.
http://pirateslair.net/billetgascap.htm

capbling5.jpg

Using the hinged cap on some of the late model BMWs is a pain when filling with a vapor recover pump and I've read of a few people breaking the plastic hinge on the BMW gas caps when using a vapor recovery pump.

Back