Thread: Alternate spin on/off fuel caps

Desert John

Alternate spin on/off fuel caps

Before I name the brand, can someone tell me what success or failure they've had with aftermarket twist on/off fuel caps? Mine smells like gas for at least 40 miles and that is unacceptable. Perhaps other makes work okay?

The BMW caps, which we've all used for years, fails on two counts: that ridiculous pink "tit" that sticks down and totally interferes with the gas filler's nozzle and, of course, the key requirement which adds to fuel stop fumbling.

Forget security?I can't imagine someone siphoning out my fuel or even pouring sugar into my tank. That comes under the same listing as getting hit by a meteorite!

Thanks for your input.
    '15 BMW R1200 GS LC
    '14 Harley-Davidson FLHTK ? slightly water cooled, of course
    '14 Aprilia Tuono V4
    '14 BMW R1200 RTW

What model? We have owned 25 different BMWs and currently own 9 and I don't recall any with a pink tit that interferes with fueling, or any that had aftermarket caps that smelled for 40 miles or 40 feet.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by 100122 View Post
    Before I name the brand, can someone tell me what success or failure they've had with aftermarket twist on/off fuel caps? Mine smells like gas for at least 40 miles and that is unacceptable. Perhaps other makes work okay?

The BMW caps, which we've all used for years, fails on two counts: that ridiculous pink "tit" that sticks down and totally interferes with the gas filler's nozzle and, of course, the key requirement which adds to fuel stop fumbling.

Forget security?I can't imagine someone siphoning out my fuel or even pouring sugar into my tank. That comes under the same listing as getting hit by a meteorite!

Thanks for your input.
    As Paul suggests, the model of your bike would be helpful. If it's a K1200LT then you do need to unlock it to fuel it up. However there is a simple modification you can look up over on bmwlt.com to eliminate the key issue. If you are smelling fumes after fueling, you are likely over-filling it. The LTs are only filled to the bottom of the threads. More than that and it can overflow into the cannister or onto the ground if the cannister has been removed.

His signature indicates a 2013 R1200GS.
    Kevin Huddy
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

Desert John
    Thank you AKBeemer. It's my '13 R1200GS LC, but the offending "pink tit" has been on all my recent BMWs, from my K1200GT to my K1200R to my K1600GT to four GSs. You unlock the gas cap and it hinges back toward you exposing a "pink" protrusion that's sort of cone shaped. I'm sure it's to make some sort of seal so gas and fumes are contained. The aftermarket "spin on" caps also seal, naturally, but the brand I had installed seems to have some venting problems down in the neck area because unless I only fill to within 2-3 inches of the top, I get the gas smell.

Surely some of you have installed aftermarket gas caps? Please tell us how they worked for you.

Thanks.
    '15 BMW R1200 GS LC
    '14 Aprilia Tuono V4
    '14 BMW R1200 RTW

Still plays with trains. tinytrains's Avatar
    Actually, the reason most bikes have flush, locking gas caps is to keep them from popping open in a accident. I had a 75 Honda that was recalled to add a gas cap lock for that very reason.
    1988 K75 Low Seat
    2009 R1200R Roadster

Desert John
    Makes sense yet the spin on aftermarket seems to be thriving. Check out the ads in publications featuring import bikes, like Ducatis, etc. You'll see several brands of aftermarket goodies.
    '15 BMW R1200 GS LC
    '14 Aprilia Tuono V4
    '14 BMW R1200 RTW

Another reason for the flush caps is to reduce the danger of damaging one's groin in the event of a very sudden stop (as in hitting the fool who just turned left in front of you).

As for stealing or contaminating the fuel - if you live in a big city, those are very real and valid concerns.

I have used both Slingshot and Rizoma caps. I prefer Rizoma due to the quality and the need for a special tool to open the cap. I did have one brand of gas cap that smelled of gas fumes and removed it before I took the bike out of the garage.

Those who have ridden long enough may remember that some older bikes had a rep for catching fire after minor crashes due to faulty gas caps.
    One such bike from my youth was the Suzuki Hustler.

I don't agree with the OP. I've got a Transalp with a removable screw cap and I much prefer BMWs cap and overfill containment system. Its both more convenient and safer.

Quote Originally Posted by racer7 View Post
    Those who have ridden long enough may remember that some older bikes had a rep for catching fire after minor crashes due to faulty gas caps.
    One such bike from my youth was the Suzuki Hustler.

I don't agree with the OP. I've got a Transalp with a removable screw cap and I much prefer BMWs cap and overfill containment system. Its both more convenient and safer.
    And you don't have to worry about losing the cap.
    Member of: BMWMOA #189688; BMWRA #40273
    IBA Member #55835
    "Hell is lit by nuclear power."

Give Jerry a call and ask if he has a cap that works for the new GSW. He carries two different brands.
    http://pirateslair.net/billetgascap.htm

Using the hinged cap on some of the late model BMWs is a pain when filling with a vapor recover pump and I've read of a few people breaking the plastic hinge on the BMW gas caps when using a vapor recovery pump.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    What model? I don't recall any with a pink tit that interferes with fueling,
    It's red on our K1300S.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT