• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Help wanted re new boots

the-oz-slider
I have a partially disabled left leg and foot as a result of an industrial accident in 2008 (crap was it that long ago!!!!!!). .......so boots that fit are very difficult to find.
I tried modifying a pair of Alpine Stars that I had but the bootmaker couldn't grasp the magnitude of the problem, so he was unable to come up with a fix, and all I ended up with was a ruined pair of boots....
So Ive decided to throw down some hard earned Lizzies (otherwise known as Canuckbucks) and buy new.....
here's the problem in two sentences or less, comments and opinions are welcome.....
1. My left foot is one size larger than the right.
2. My left big toe is deformed/ partially paralyzed and rubbed against the top of the A Star MX boot, hence the attempt to create a new cap which didn't work.
3. I ride an 07 GS and have found with the A Star road boots I have that when stopping if there is even a hint of gravel or looseness of the road surface then my left foot gets away from me and it always results in a left-side lowside..(groan)........

Its stating the obvious that I need a dual-sport boot with an aggressive sole, rather than a road boot or MX boot with a smooth, slider style of sole.....

Therefore the question for the electronic masses is to tell me what type of boot you use, and potentially what may be suitable for me. Im specifically interested in boots with a larger toe cap and of course, a 'trail' style sole pattern, NOT an MX or road pattern.
Comments please....
Al

Alternate riding boots

I have worn "Duty or Swat" boots for several years when I ride my motorcycles. They come in different heights, waterproof or vented, many have side zips to ease entry and exit. These were developed to provide all day foot support and have a vibram style lugged sole. They are very slip-resistant, especially in wet weather. I have biked and hiked many miles in total comfort. My pair has a steel arch support bar, that allows me to stand on ladders or foot pegs for long periods of time. They are inexpensive enough to buy two pairs to get the sizes you need. I believe if you look on line there are mismatched shoe exchanges that would take your leftover pair. Any decent cobbler should be able to stretch the toe box for additional clearance. These type boots don't have the protection of an enduro or mx, but seem to be sufficient for street riding.

Chuck Swenson
Sioux City, IA
MOA #9163

+1 on the Duty boot. Generally $100-150 US will get a 9" pair which is about half of an Alpinstar/Sidi offroad and they offer GOBS of traction on the ground.

Side zip is great because you can leave the laces looser in order to get your foot in, then zip to support. My wife has a similar issue due to bunyon on one foot and she has been able to wear a single size on both feet with the flexibility offered by the SWAT build.

I can't speak to any brands beside SWAT and Magnum. SWATs have a higher build quality than the Magnums.

My Sidi road boots have a Vibram "looking" sole and very comfy for MC use but I would never hike in them-I carry other shoes for any other purpose.
Seems that you might benefit from buying two pairs & wasting one boot? I bought mine used(but not really used) from a guy that bought boot that wasn't right size. That happens lots & another one is they wore them couple times & stopped riding so used is lots cheaper if that part matters. Maybe call the actual boot company & ask for a solution like a mixed size pair?
Some military boots might work as a compromise solution? Often available on ebay & never worn but discounted.

I'm with Beemerchuck and Arthurdent, all I ever ride in is either my Duty boots or my Timberlands. Both have vibram soles, great support, protection, and are great for all day comfort on or off the bike. They're really all you need for general road riding.

thanks for the information. I think Im going to go with the full height off-road boot because it will give me more support to the lower leg and ankle. I normally wear a full carbon-fibre brace but if I have a strong off-road style boot then I can dispense with the brace while riding.
I like the idea of checking ebay and such for near new boots and buy two pairs.

Thanks again for the input, I appreciate it......
Al

ebay is used by many dealers to sell off new end of year gear or returns that are new but used.
It's also amazing how many people buy a MC & stuff/gear then sell it off after their hobby ends quickly.
Use a search engine to look at CL-lots of good buys there! I use Searchtempest(worldwide!) mostly but formerly used Zimkiv until Firefox decided or some other unknown reason, now it doesn't work so well... IBMWR is good too.
I work in vibram soled high boots & also hike in good Merrell boots but neither are my favorite to ride a MC-I like purpose built boots there.

Maybe you need to buy two pairs of boots. Swat boots are relatively cheap and I've had good luck with them.

Two thoughts:

First. Could you go to a boot maker and have them custom make a pair of boots for you? In Toronto there is a cobbler who makes riding boots for the police. Maybe there's someone in your area.

Second. You might go to an orthopedic shoe place and ask them if they can do anything for you. If necessary, they might be able to make a cast of your foot and build something for you, or, possibly, modify a brand name boot.

I took the liberty of contacting one of our advertising partners, Motonation, and asked if they might be able to help. They import Sidi boots. Bill Berroth, the owner, said they could order two different size boots for you with enough lead time, about 5-6 months. They have several touring boot options including off-road and dual sport boots. Contact Bill Berroth directly if you are interested. (619) 401-4107

Two thoughts:

First. Could you go to a boot maker and have them custom make a pair of boots for you? In Toronto there is a cobbler who makes riding boots for the police. Maybe there's someone in your area.

Second. You might go to an orthopedic shoe place and ask them if they can do anything for you. If necessary, they might be able to make a cast of your foot and build something for you, or, possibly, modify a brand name boot.

My first thought was CUSTOM boots. There are many boot makers who could build boots to your exact specifications. Do not spend good money on a half @$$ed solution to your unique situation.
BUY CUSTOM BOOTS.

You could consult an orthopedic shoe maker - have them cast your foot to present the casting to a custom maker. A custom boot maker is going to be your best bet. Follow up on the Toronto maker whom the local police utilize.

Back