• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1600 crash bars ilium versus altrider - specifically lean angle

davidrossi

Greetings. Before I pick up my GTL I'm thinking I better have those crash bars installed. I figure one drop will pay for the cost, and then some.

I've check it out and read everything I can find. I like the look of the ilium. I really like the fact that altrider has pictures of the bike down. So my question from you folks who have them is, how much lean angle will I give up? Will one versus the other take away too much lean angle? I do plan to ride agressively in the curves sometimes.

Thanks for your input.

Dave

+1for altrider bars. My bike came with the factory bars, with a zero speed layover lots of cosmetic damage. If I had the Altrider bars their would have been no damage
Quickly replaced the factory bars, have not had and dragging issues with the altriders, a plus is bars are connected together giving in my opinon greater protection

I have Altrider bars on my K1600 and have dropped her on both sides at low or no speed. The only damage has been some superficial scratches on the black part of the bags. If I had had the BMW bars I would have needed to replace the mirrors and maybe some body work.

I went with the ALtrider bars

I'm looking forward to picking up the GTL this week. Altrider shipped them to the dealer to be installed while they prep the bike.

Thanks for your input.

Dave

Anyone have the AltRiders in the powder coated black? Wondering what would be less conspicuous... my K16GT is Montego Blue.
A Picture would be helpful. Thanks :bow

I was in the same situation as you, really worried about lean angle but still wanted tip-over protection. I went with the Ilium bars. I didn't really care for that "loop" that bowed out look of the altriders.

BTW- Ilium now has the GT & GTL engine bars (26-500) now in black powder coat (26-500BL). More so for us GT-Sport guys as the lower part of our bikes is now black. Talk to Ron Hufford at Ilium Works, he will set you right! 888.431.6669

ENGINE BARS (Link)

Hwy Pegs video...

I was in the same situation as you, really worried about lean angle but still wanted tip-over protection. I went with the Ilium bars. I didn't really care for that "loop" that bowed out look of the altriders.

Do the Ilium bars give you enough lean angle to protect the mirrors as well as the panniers? AltRiders make the case that the additional 1 3/4" height and 2" out in the loop provides 36 degree stop angle. This further decreases the likelihood of a rollover past the pivot point.

also: http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/altrider-bmw-k1600-gt-gtl-crash-bars Pictures of the black bars for color comparison as well as an example of the lean angle protection.

Do the Ilium bars give you enough lean angle to protect the mirrors as well as the panniers? AltRiders make the case that the additional 1 3/4" height and 2" out in the loop provides 36 degree stop angle. This further decreases the likelihood of a rollover past the pivot point.

also: http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/altrider-bmw-k1600-gt-gtl-crash-bars Pictures of the black bars for color comparison as well as an example of the lean angle protection.

Many of the Ilium users (on K1600forum.com) have reported full tip-over protection including mirrors, but not sure about side cases. I can't remember if any negatives were ever mentioned TBH.

Some have done the sheet of plywood/angle test as well, but this (to me) seems shortcoming to reality/actuality as the bike weight and balancing fulcrum changes when it is on it's side, just does funny things. Maybe even a full tank of fuel, or maybe a loaded top case (or none at all) would skew it even more (or less) to a front to rear angle tippage? IDK

-KJ

Some have done the sheet of plywood/angle test as well, but this (to me) seems shortcoming to reality/actuality as the bike weight and balancing fulcrum changes when it is on it's side, just does funny things. Maybe even a full tank of fuel, or maybe a loaded top case (or none at all) would skew it even more (or less) to a front to rear angle tippage? IDK

-KJ

Good point... I guess the fact that we apply something is better than nothing. Its really just a matter of taste. Unfortunately, I love the look of that beastly motor stuffed in the frame like it is. It needs nothing else and adding a bar just makes me feel like a nervous new parent with a newborn again. :rolleyes
What do you think about color? Black or the natural steel against the Montego blue?

Good point... I guess the fact that we apply something is better than nothing. Its really just a matter of taste. Unfortunately, I love the look of that beastly motor stuffed in the frame like it is. It needs nothing else and adding a bar just makes me feel like a nervous new parent with a newborn again. :rolleyes
What do you think about color? Black or the natural steel against the Montego blue?

I went Black on my Iliums mainly b/c the GT-Sport had more lower black accents than the plain GT's. Plus I feel black is more conspicuous, hence why girls wear black; to make themselves look smaller/thinner. It works.

I just installed the Ilium Works bars last night. Silver or whatever their not black color is.

I will eventually add the highway pegs.

I just installed the Ilium Works bars last night. Silver or whatever their not black color is.

I will eventually add the highway pegs.

I have ordered the Ilium bars and pegs, should be here Monday. The instalation video looks easy enough, is it really that straight forward? Looks like it shouldn't take more than a hour.

Thanks

Engine Bars

I have the Altrider bars and went down in the Smokie mountains a couple of weeks ago. Was only going about 30 mph up a steep hill when hit loose gravel in a SHARP switchback. The Altrider bars saved my bike a lot of damage. I highly recommend them.
Tom

Done and Im very happy with the result. Easy to install and I have my piece of mind. :bliss

Attachments

• right side Altrider.jpg
    right side Altrider.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 85
  • left side altrider.jpg
    left side altrider.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 87
Back