• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Shift and Hill Assist Options on 2014 1200 RT

The trick to Hill Start is not only firm but quick - it's the sudden rise in pressure that triggers it.

On a ride yesterday I tried the "pull it to the grip" maneuver 6 or 8 times and the Hill Start Control worked each time. So if it needs to be quick - I must be pulling it quickly by default. Thanks for all the advice.

Hill start

I believe you pull firmly and hold it there for a bit while it engages. I don't pull it to the grip and I don't pull it swiftly. Now I'm working on how low my RPMs can be to disengage without stalling.

awesome options

I love both of these options on my RT. The hill start is great when you're loaded and /or with a passenger. While not required it make for a much more pleasant ride day. The shift assist is the best of both worlds (manual and automatic) smooth and reliable both up and down. Best value I have ever gotten for my money in a long time. I can actually enjoy the results.

hill assist

I was able to engage the hill assist without any problem but wasn't quite sure what to do then. Ended up really revving the engine before I got going. Is there a technique to using it? Just roll off the throttle and engage the clutch?

I love the new bike. It is truly amazing.

I was able to engage the hill assist without any problem but wasn't quite sure what to do then. Ended up really revving the engine before I got going. Is there a technique to using it? Just roll off the throttle and engage the clutch?

I love the new bike. It is truly amazing.

Yes, ride off as a normal start, nothing special. You don't have to be on hill to test ;), try it a few times.

Living in East Texas I didn't think I'd use this much but to my surprise it is very handy allowing me to use both hands with a steady bike while stopped.

Jay

I use the hill assist just to screw with the minds of people behind me if they're riders since I'm sitting there with both feet on the ground and both arms at my sides.

But you do have to have it more throttle than normal to disengage the hill assist. I find it most useful on uneven surfaces where I really like to have both feet on the ground.

Wow....finally tried the shift assist and l like it much more then I thought I would...very smooth and fast.

Hill assist in Florida....will never use it, until yesterday when stopped on a draw bridge, it worked great and will get used more often now. Loving the 1200rt more every time I get on it.

shift assist

I think I have figured out the best way to utilize gear shift pro. The downshifts are easy and work flawlessly, just close the throttle and shift. The up shift is a little more difficult. I noticed when my shifts were abrupt, the tach dropped quite a bit. So I started to give it a little more throttle as I upshifted and it made all the difference in the world. While shifts from 1 to 2 and 2 to 3 aren't as smooth as 4-5-6, they are pretty good.

Really enjoying the my 14 RT.
Rick
northborough, MA

PS. I have an 09 RT with 25k miles for sale..

I have 2014 RT.

Shift assist works fine from 2nd gear on up. You can really accelerate hard with the shift assist. Downshifting, close the throttle first.

The hill stop feature is of less useful, but I have used it when stopped going down hill waiting for a flagger.

I find shift assist works just fine from 1st on up as long you are on the throttle and up near 7,000 rpm or more. There is no hyperlink on my profile page to change my signature to reflect my newly purchased 2014 RT.

There is no hyperlink on my profile page to change my signature to reflect my newly purchased 2014 RT.

Hmmm...If you click 'settings' in the top right hand of each page....then click 'edit signature' on the left under 'my settings'....you should be able to update your signature there.

hill assist

Yes, ride off as a normal start, nothing special. You don't have to be on hill to test ;), try it a few times.

Living in East Texas I didn't think I'd use this much but to my surprise it is very handy allowing me to use both hands with a steady bike while stopped.

Jay

I've had problems with the hill start assist with surging throttle which makes it hard to control if starting on a hill and turning. It seems to take quite a bit of throttle to disengage the brake and then it suddenly accelerates. I don't know if this is a calibration problem or a technique problem. The first time it happened was day #1 after picking the bike up and was pretty scary. Front tire off the ground, barely held on without losing control. Probably should practice on level ground for a while. Anyone with similar experience? Shift assist is awesome.

Dana

I've had problems with the hill start assist with surging throttle which makes it hard to control if starting on a hill and turning. It seems to take quite a bit of throttle to disengage the brake and then it suddenly accelerates. I don't know if this is a calibration problem or a technique problem. The first time it happened was day #1 after picking the bike up and was pretty scary. Front tire off the ground, barely held on without losing control. Probably should practice on level ground for a while. Anyone with similar experience? Shift assist is awesome.

Dana

Yes, it takes a little gas to disengage the hill assist. I use it mainly while waiting for a light etc for the convenience. Another option is to simply give the front brake another squeeze before taking off and that will disengage hill assist as well, and then you can take off normally like you always did before this was invented!

What the heck is "Hill Assist"?

I have heard of that on cars, where you need 3 feet at once, but on a bike, just hold the rear brake with your right foot, let the clutch out and go.

you obviously don't live around here, where the wind can be so bad any less than 2 feet on the ground is risky. At least I have a fast idle lever.

Rod

5600 miles

After 5600 miles, I would not be without the shift assist and hill start assist. These are things I never knew I needed, but now I would not do without them. The shift assist allows you to up or down shift in a sweeper with no wobble at all. I use it all the time except between first and second. I believe it is hard to get an RT without these options. My 2 friends who have RTs with these options agree with me.

Dana

Just double pump the hand break again to release it. Then hold the hand break or foot break until you accelerate.

After 5600 miles, I would not be without the shift assist and hill start assist. These are things I never knew I needed, but now I would not do without them. The shift assist allows you to up or down shift in a sweeper with no wobble at all. I use it all the time except between first and second. I believe it is hard to get an RT without these options. My 2 friends who have RTs with these options agree with me.

I agree completely. Mine has 4500 miles, and the shift assist is better than sex

Just double pump the hand break again to release it. Then hold the hand break or foot break until you accelerate.

A single squeeze is all you need to release it. I agree that it does take a little more throttle to overcome the brake and it can be disconcerting and jumpy until you have done it a few hundred times. And even then it is not always perfectly smooth takeoff. Throttle modulation is critical.

Back