• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Shift and Hill Assist Options on 2014 1200 RT

Does anyone have experience with the shift assist or hill assist? Has BMW put either of these on previous bikes and if so are they reliable? I think these two options are my biggest concern; that is, if these are serial number one designs.

Does anyone have experience with the shift assist or hill assist? Has BMW put either of these on previous bikes and if so are they reliable? I think these two options are my biggest concern; that is, if these are serial number one designs.

I have a version of gearshift assist on my 2008 HP2 Sport. This version only does upshifts, not down and it does a full throttle upshift as smooth as a good automatic transmission. Not much to break, just the sensor on the shift mechanism, the rest is software in the ECU. There is likely no extra mechanical parts to the hill assist, they are probably using existing brake switch(es) and software in the ABS Controller.

Gear Shift Assist

I have a 2009 BMW K1300S and it has the Gear Shift Assistant. This feature allows full power upshifts without using the clutch to make the gear change. I don't recall if it's fueling, ignition or both that are interrupted for a few milliseconds during the shift but suffice it to say that this feature rocks! It's probably obvious that it would be a hoot when putting the hammer down but what actually comes as a bigger surprise is how easy and pleasant it is to ride the bike leisurely through town or in the country using this feature. It is absolutely effortless but it can't be used on downshifts -- that still has to be done "the old fashioned way". As for the Hill Assist, I can't comment because my K-bike didn't come with or offer that option but I can highly recommend GSA however. No issues with it whatsoever.

Kent

I was going to ask about shift assist and it's behavior when just trolling about.
Good to hear that it helped on your S.

Seems many folks have issues with the shift quality on their BMWs.
Late Ks, new water cooled R12s.

I've owned 2 different 2008 K1200GTs and they both shifted poorly. Makes me cringe when shifting 1st to 2nd, 2nd to 3rd. Shouldn't be so challenging.

As I recall, shift assist cost ~400 on the new RT.
I'd have to check that box should I ever purchase one.

d'milan

I have had 6 BMW's and never had any shifting problems! My new RT is in and I pick it up Tuesday. I will let you know how the shift assist works when the snow is gone and I can ride it! Winter sucks!!

scott

What the heck is "Hill Assist"?

I have heard of that on cars, where you need 3 feet at once, but on a bike, just hold the rear brake with your right foot, let the clutch out and go.

The shift assist is awesome. I use the clutch for 1-2 and sometimes 2-3 but other wise is incrediably smooth. Downshifting is a dream, roll off shift and go. Great in the twisties. The manual says not to use the hill assist as a parking brake but I do. Great when you need two hands and don't want to balance the bike and use the rear brake. I have not actually used it as intended. I plan on that next ride. So far great ride. It carves a turn like a hot knife in butter. Very little usable clutch range. Doesn't engage until almost all the way out. Understand it was like that on the wethead GSs. Going to a riding course Saturday. Lot of slow speed manuvering. Should be interesting getting used to the clutch.

Shifting is so easy... maybe easier than any motorcycle I've owned on my old 1996 r1100rt that it's hard for me to believe there would be a need for something called Shift Assist.

I admit I've not been attuned to the latest and greatest new gear on the new bikes but "Hill Assist"? I have it on my 2013 Jeep Wrangler and can't stand it. Why not just eliminate the clutch completely and call it a Hondamatic.

Maybe I'm just becoming cranky old guy?

4 days, 400 miles

So shift assist is cool, but I haven't totally got the hang of it. When I get it right it's smooth, super fast and puts a smile on my face, but when I get it wrong it's a clunk and lurch (but still fast though). I'm old school and still like pulling the clutch, so it may be a while before I figure the correct use of shift assist. On the other hand the hill assist totally exceeds my expectations. The first time I used it was pulling out of the dealers parking lot as they have a steep incline to the street. So just for fun I stopped and pulled hard on the front break lever and darned if I didn't need to do anything else except take off like I as on flat pavement. I've used it many times since and gotta say I really like this feature, it's effortless and intuitive. :clap

So shift assist is cool, but I haven't totally got the hang of it. When I get it right it's smooth, super fast and puts a smile on my face, but when I get it wrong it's a clunk and lurch (but still fast though). :clap

I've found the key to the shift assist is DON'T modulate the throttle while shifting, just keep the right hand steady.

High RPM Shift Assist

I just finished the break-in and had to leave town so I am not riding for a couple of weeks.

I was just wondering how well shift assist works on the 2014 RT at higher rev ranges like 6000+. Has anyone given this a try?

I had shift assist on a K1300. Just as the comment here, it can be clunky if you don't get it just right. I wouldn't bother as it's really under the "don't need" category. Most of the time it was annoying. There is a review of a '14 RT on youtube and that guy said not to waste your money.

It was fun once in a while at full throttle on the K1300 because it was a sick fast bike, but you're not going for the 0-60 so much on the RT ;-)

Last edited:
BS. It is a good option. It works very well at high rpms. The downshifting is fantastic. Worth the $ in my opinion. 1-2 and 2-3 can be iffy but otherwise very nice.

I agree with Hogwide 100%. Love the Pro Shift. When I off a 3 day trip last weekend I didn't think I'd every ride my other bike again...

Jay

I agree Hogwide and Jay ... I am finding the sweet spot for around town and it seems to be medium to low acceleration and 3000 + or -. On hard acceleration the shifts are quick and smooth, down shifts are perfection and sounds like GP auto shifting maintaining optimum RPM coming into a hairpin turn ... whats not to like. Coordinating the clutch is not the focus of my ride experience. Technology and automation that enhance and improve the operation and performance of product I'm all for, Pro Shift falls squarely into that category.

Now I Get It!

So around town I?ve thought shift assist was a meh-whatever, clever but not necessary really. Sometimes clunky even and I tended to use the clutch mostly. But after one hundred miles on the twists today, now I get it. Shift assist was simply awesome. It functioned flawlessly, smooth, and instantaneously. The closest comparison to the sound of the throttle blip is like a European rally car entering a turn with a quick shift transmission, its fun just to listen to. The bike didn?t miss a beat thru the turns and kept me right where I wanted the engine to be without the weight transitions that you get when engaging the clutch. Two up riding was a greater pleasure as well with out any head knocking what-so-ever. I gotta say that I am now very impressed with the performance of shift assist on the new RT.

What's the trick?

So shift assist is cool, but I haven't totally got the hang of it. When I get it right it's smooth, super fast and puts a smile on my face, but when I get it wrong it's a clunk and lurch (but still fast though). I'm old school and still like pulling the clutch, so it may be a while before I figure the correct use of shift assist. On the other hand the hill assist totally exceeds my expectations. The first time I used it was pulling out of the dealers parking lot as they have a steep incline to the street. So just for fun I stopped and pulled hard on the front break lever and darned if I didn't need to do anything else except take off like I as on flat pavement. I've used it many times since and gotta say I really like this feature, it's effortless and intuitive. :clap

What's the trick to getting the hill start assist to work? I've tried pulling really hard on the front brake, multiple times - sometimes it engages after 5 pulls, sometimes 3, sometimes it just doesn't engage. I'm betting there's a simple trick to it, but I'm stumped (and my sales guy is as well!) Supposedly there's a technical bulletin about it - the manual actually doesn't say how to engage the mechanism. Anyone seen it?

What's the trick to getting the hill start assist to work? I've tried pulling really hard on the front brake, multiple times - sometimes it engages after 5 pulls, sometimes 3, sometimes it just doesn't engage. I'm betting there's a simple trick to it, but I'm stumped (and my sales guy is as well!) Supposedly there's a technical bulletin about it - the manual actually doesn't say how to engage the mechanism. Anyone seen it?

I don't think there is a trick, you just have to pull the brake lever hard (like all the way to the grip) something you're not use doing. I too have some trouble at times and have to think about pulling hard on the lever.

I like this future more than I would of guess. Living in east Texas, yep it?s flat out here I didn?t think I?d ever use it.

Jay

re: What's the trick?

I don't think there is a trick, you just have to pull the brake lever hard (like all the way to the grip) something you're not use doing. I too have some trouble at times and have to think about pulling hard on the lever.

I like this future more than I would of guess. Living in east Texas, yep it?s flat out here I didn?t think I?d ever use it.

Jay

OK thanks - that must be it - I haven't been pulling it all the way to the grip - I'll give it a shot today.

Back