Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Shift and Hill Assist Options on 2014 1200 RT

One Ring To Rule Them All AirBender's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sedanman View Post
    There is no hyperlink on my profile page to change my signature to reflect my newly purchased 2014 RT.
    Hmmm...If you click 'settings' in the top right hand of each page....then click 'edit signature' on the left under 'my settings'....you should be able to update your signature there.
    "Are you living life the way you were meant to, or how you have been led to think you are supposed to?"
    1989 Yamaha FZR 400 Racebike (r.i.p.), 2009 Suzuki Hayabusa (sold), 1983 custom naked Honda Goldwing (sold), 2015 San Marino Blue BMW R1200RT

hill assist

Quote Originally Posted by strataj View Post
    Yes, ride off as a normal start, nothing special. You don't have to be on hill to test , try it a few times.

Living in East Texas I didn't think I'd use this much but to my surprise it is very handy allowing me to use both hands with a steady bike while stopped.

Jay
    I've had problems with the hill start assist with surging throttle which makes it hard to control if starting on a hill and turning. It seems to take quite a bit of throttle to disengage the brake and then it suddenly accelerates. I don't know if this is a calibration problem or a technique problem. The first time it happened was day #1 after picking the bike up and was pretty scary. Front tire off the ground, barely held on without losing control. Probably should practice on level ground for a while. Anyone with similar experience? Shift assist is awesome.

Dana

Quote Originally Posted by dgraichen View Post
    I've had problems with the hill start assist with surging throttle which makes it hard to control if starting on a hill and turning. It seems to take quite a bit of throttle to disengage the brake and then it suddenly accelerates. I don't know if this is a calibration problem or a technique problem. The first time it happened was day #1 after picking the bike up and was pretty scary. Front tire off the ground, barely held on without losing control. Probably should practice on level ground for a while. Anyone with similar experience? Shift assist is awesome.

Dana
    Yes, it takes a little gas to disengage the hill assist. I use it mainly while waiting for a light etc for the convenience. Another option is to simply give the front brake another squeeze before taking off and that will disengage hill assist as well, and then you can take off normally like you always did before this was invented!
    2015 R1200RT - Callisto Grey

Quote Originally Posted by tinytrains View Post
    What the heck is "Hill Assist"?

I have heard of that on cars, where you need 3 feet at once, but on a bike, just hold the rear brake with your right foot, let the clutch out and go.
    you obviously don't live around here, where the wind can be so bad any less than 2 feet on the ground is risky. At least I have a fast idle lever.

Rod

5600 miles

After 5600 miles, I would not be without the shift assist and hill start assist. These are things I never knew I needed, but now I would not do without them. The shift assist allows you to up or down shift in a sweeper with no wobble at all. I use it all the time except between first and second. I believe it is hard to get an RT without these options. My 2 friends who have RTs with these options agree with me.

NYrider
    Quote Originally Posted by dgraichen View Post

Dana
    Just double pump the hand break again to release it. Then hold the hand break or foot break until you accelerate.
    NYrider

Quote Originally Posted by ericbeer View Post
    After 5600 miles, I would not be without the shift assist and hill start assist. These are things I never knew I needed, but now I would not do without them. The shift assist allows you to up or down shift in a sweeper with no wobble at all. I use it all the time except between first and second. I believe it is hard to get an RT without these options. My 2 friends who have RTs with these options agree with me.
    I agree completely. Mine has 4500 miles, and the shift assist is better than sex

Quote Originally Posted by stagewex View Post
    Why not just eliminate the clutch completely and call it a Hondamatic.
    Ka-boom
    Go full auto or don't.
    No 'tweeners

Grumpy ain't so bad
    Good is the new great!!!

Quote Originally Posted by tlcoulter View Post
    I agree completely. Mine has 4500 miles, and the shift assist is better than sex
    I wouldn't know. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by KyleTurner View Post
    Just double pump the hand break again to release it. Then hold the hand break or foot break until you accelerate.
    A single squeeze is all you need to release it. I agree that it does take a little more throttle to overcome the brake and it can be disconcerting and jumpy until you have done it a few hundred times. And even then it is not always perfectly smooth takeoff. Throttle modulation is critical.

I haven't gotten the knack of shift assist yet. Sometimes it's smooooth, other times it's worse than my sloppiest clutch technique. I'll keep working at it.

Hill start - I haven't used it to start on a hill (I disengage it and start normally), but it's sure nice when stopped and I don't have to use my legs to keep the bike from rolling forward or backward at the same time I'm holding it up. Works whether I'm pointing uphill or down, actually better pointing downhill because uphill without it I could at least plant my feet and rest the footpegs against my shin to keep it from rolling backward.

My shift assist didn't work when I picked up the bike. At the 600 service, it was "fixed". I used it a couple of times - nice whilst with a passenger. Next time i tried it, a week later, it was on the blink again. I'll have it checked out at the 6000 service. it's a nice option, but I'm not taking it in before the service (unless they say it's a software update - or something to that effect, and can be done while I wait).