• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Saw the new R1200RT yesterday

In this situation, it's pretty common for the new models to initially turn some people off,

That's it, Kent! There is other examples of that around everywhere. Cars or motorcycles. All it takes is a little getting used to it and then the next model will be the one that looks worse than this.

If you want ugly, try this:

ROKON_zpsc697b69f.jpg

They do go anywhere though, but not too fast, with 2 wheel drive. The wheels can hold extra gas, or when empty, float the bike in water ! :bow

I thought that the outgoing generation of RT was kind of ugly at first too- until I saw it in person and then it started growing on me. Now I find the 11xxRT to be rather dated, kind of like the rather plain, too-rounded Taurus that Ford were making back then. Too many different types of products tried too hard to force the rounded/'organic' look in the '90s.

I've only seen a few small pictures of the new RT, so I reserve judgement until I've seen enough of them in-person. I can definitely see where the too-wide, 'bat-wing' comments come from though.

But what do I know...I found the 2005-20012 GS to be downright SEXY! :p

It is what it is

I like my RT. If I was 25 years younger I would go for a GS, the Adventure is too tall. I do a lot of long distant touring, day hops, commuting. It is fun and has the creature comforts I like. Fellow tried to talk me into an FJR the other day. I polietly declined. The looks of the new RT is diferent but a good combo between sport and touring. I plan on getting one. I really have fun on my current bike and hope to have many outstranding miles on the new one. As it has been said "beauty is in the eye of the beholder". I am glad BMW offers bikes to fit several different riding styles and preferences.

I like the new RT, and the current RT. I never liked the 1100 or 1150. They looked like they were designed by Bib, the Michelin Man.

I also like seeing the motor. To me, that is the best part of a "motor"cycle. Probably why I ride a roadster.

But then, that is why we have lots of bikes to choose from.:rocker

exhibitionist motors

Meh...looks like the old (previous) model to me. Doesn't excite me to see exposed motors on motorbike or on vehicles.

found these photos http://blog.motorcycle.com/2013/11/05/manufacturers/bmw/eicma-2013-2014-bmw-r1200rt/

I still vote a /5 Toaster or my 75/6 or 90/6 best looking BMW ever. 04 RT next. One of the things I did like about the last RT's was that you can see the motor.
So I also ride a GS. Do I think it is good looking? Well, it is from the saddle. My brother has a post 04 RT and he loves it. If I had bought one I am sure I would have too. I like the K1600 looks so if the New RT is similar I will probably like it as well.

Truth is If i bought a motorcycle for looks, I would be riding a HD Roadglide ultra, not a GS.

Last edited:
That's it, Kent! There is other examples of that around everywhere. Cars or motorcycles. All it takes is a little getting used to it and then the next model will be the one that looks worse than this.

There's a lot of truth to that. I used to hate disco and some other pop music when I was a teenager. Now, compared to some of the rap crap and pop today, it's classical music. Same with bikes, I am sure. I can't wait to hear what comes next.

I like my RT. If I was 25 years younger I would go for a GS, the Adventure is too tall. I do a lot of long distant touring, day hops, commuting. It is fun and has the creature comforts I like. Fellow tried to talk me into an FJR the other day. I polietly declined. The looks of the new RT is diferent but a good combo between sport and touring. I plan on getting one. I really have fun on my current bike and hope to have many outstranding miles on the new one. As it has been said "beauty is in the eye of the beholder". I am glad BMW offers bikes to fit several different riding styles and preferences.

Quote from previous post :Quote Originally Posted by pch123 View Post
sell the bike and buy something else.
I plan to but not before I get some compensation for the extra $ spent on the sound system and head set. As an aside with the latest radio the bluetooth in he bike and the Nav iv is not compatable. They can not be paired at the same time as the operating manuals suggest. Get quality product. end quote

The above was from you on a previous issue. You obviously got the issue sorted to your satisfaction. Congratulations.Well done.
regards

We will see in about two weeks. No the radio stills sucks. I use the gps for music. I have some options if "promises" aren't fullfilled.

Now I find the 11xxRT to be rather dated, kind of like the rather plain, too-rounded Taurus that Ford were making back then.

Interesting analogy, Ben.
Then again I've heard "George Jetson" about the later year models, I can appreciate both for what they are.

Seems they are taking the floating plate look farther on.

There's a lot of truth to that. I used to hate disco and some other pop music when I was a teenager. Now, compared to some of the rap crap and pop today, it's classical music. Same with bikes, I am sure. I can't wait to hear what comes next.

Made me smile!

sorry man. Disco still sucks.

sorry man. Disco still sucks.

Depends. There was some good music from that era, like funk. Tower of Power was pretty good. At least there were real musical instruments played by people that could play them. Now the idiots of the day are performance acts that probably lip sync bad music.

Back