• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Rollin' by THE GREAT RIVER ROAD to the MOA RALLY... Join the Ride!

Rode over to the Memphis and Tennessee Welcome Center in downtown Memphis on Riverside Dr. and they have Great River Road Tennessee brochures; then rode over to the Arkansas State Welcome center in West Memphis, Ar.. They have brochures on the Great River Road Arkansas. Thought some might won't to stop in and get some for info or souvenir.

Thanks, two very good stops!

Concept Change, post by me have been edited and files added.

Concept Change: We want riders to enjoy one of the longest scenic rides in the USA, the Great River Road. I am furnishing GPX format Waypoints, POIs, Routes, Ferry crossings, BMW Dealer located along the Mississippi River and other information.

Post your favorite locations, places to stay and eat and other Waypoints. I will add to the collection.

I want to thank each of you that have added information and input for THE GREAT RIVER ROAD ....ride to the MOA Rally in St. Paul.

The forum limited three files per post so I will be using threads to add information...

Please read the thread again....I have edited most of my post to reflect the concept change and added data files.... I have committed to keep the thread active to add more waypoints as readers and riders add their favorite waypoint along the Mississippi River.

Attachments

• POI and Waypoints MS River.gpx
    82.3 KB · Views: 16
  • BMW Dealer near MS River Road.gpx
    10.8 KB · Views: 4
  • Mississippi River Ferries.gpx
    68.2 KB · Views: 9
More Information for THE GREAT RIVER ROAD RIDE to St Paul for the MOA Rally.

We want riders to enjoy one of the longest scenic rides in the USA, the Great River Road. I am furnishing GPX format Waypoints, POIs, Routes, Ferry crossings, BMW Dealer located along the Mississippi River and other information.

Post your favorite locations, places to stay and eat and other Waypoints. I will add to the collection.

Forum limits three files per post:

Attachments

• Ste Genevieve to FT. Madison East STL.gpx
    343 KB · Views: 11
  • Ste Genv to FT Madison West STL.gpx
    225.8 KB · Views: 6
  • Mississippi River Ferries.gpx
    68.2 KB · Views: 5
More Routes

More Routes, You will have many opportunities to cross the river, both sides offer unique waypoints and adventures.

Attachments

• FT Madison to Dubuque Iowa.gpx
    208.8 KB · Views: 14
  • Dubuque to St Paul.gpx
    316.5 KB · Views: 16
  • POI and Waypoints MS River.gpx
    82.3 KB · Views: 7
Thanks, two very good stops!

I don't want to mislead anyone on the ride. The stop at the Memphis/Tennessee welcome center on Riverside Dr. is a very good stop. Beautiful downtown view of the river, riverboats, downtown skyline, larger than life statues od The King Elvis Presley, BB King. All the restaurants and nitelife. All the info on the river, the town, and the state you need. I think a real must stop. :groovy The West Memphis/ Arkansas welcome center is ok nice. But. Lots of road construction and traffic tie ups. Worth it for the info at the WC, but it's a tough deal. I just don't want to mislead anyone bout the situation. :brow

The northern end ...the very starting place... Itasca Lake... slow flow from this tiny lake starts the Mississippi River.

View attachment 44699

Photo credit: Claye Curtiss 2009.

Attachments

• Itasca Lake  Start of Mississippi River.jpg
    Itasca Lake Start of Mississippi River.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 192
Garmin BaseCamp for Garmin products... Here is link to Garmin BaseCamp page. It's free.... http://www.garmin.com/en-US/shop/downloads/basecamp

I have Garmin BaseCamp tutorials for beginners located here.... they are self produced and meant to get one over the learning curve. : http://forums.delphiforums.com/garminbasecamp/messages/?msg=82.1

Should you use a non Garmin GPS , You can convert to your format via several conversion products such as GPSbabel http://www.gpsbabel.org/

Hope this helps.... enjoy BaseCamp and enjoy the Great River Road as well.

Many nice bridge crossing too

Like this photo of Bridge Crossing... photo credit to Claye Curtis ...

Attachments

• One of Bridges GRR.jpg
    One of Bridges GRR.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 150
Clarksdale, MS

Several rocking blues houses in the area....

Saturday night ....let your hair down!

Attachments

• Blues shack rocking.jpg
    Blues shack rocking.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 88
If you're riding the GRR to/from the Rally or out for a day ride...if you're on the WI side (Hwy 35), you might want to stop for lunch at a "biker"-friendly business in Diamond Bluff, WI (14 mi. south of Prescott). The Nauti-Hawg B & G http://www.nautihawg.com/

Order your food inside, and then relax at one of the picnic tables. Relax and to enjoy the Mississippi River.... On the weekend, there's plenty of pipes saving lives,:D but during the week, it's quiet and a great way to while away some time.

IMG_1418-M.jpg

IMG_1421-M.jpg

IMG_1419-M.jpg

We need some hosts to help coordinate this event along the river. It is not hard and we'll help you! If you live in or near any of the areas listed above and would like to help riders headed up the river (not up the creek...up the river!), let Norwood know at the email listed above!

Questions??? Let us know! This will be a great opportunity to meet some new riders and have blast riding to the rally!

Reelfoot Lake TN. area: Sunday July 20. Lunch host, suggestion and arrange for lunch location.

Don & Vance,
I can surely host a lunch at Reelfoot Lake, Boyette's if this rides still going to happen. Let me know?
Actually, I would be happy to lead a ride along the Mississippi River Trail (MRT) along the TN side, if anybody wants to?
Ride Safe,
Robert

Last edited:
Reelfoot Lake TN. area: Sunday July 20. Lunch host, suggestion and arrange for lunch location.

Don & Vance,
I can surely host a lunch at Reelfoot Lake, Boyette's if this rides still going to happen. Let me know?
Actually, I would be happy to lead a ride along the Mississippi River Trail (MRT) along the TN side, if anybody wants to?
Ride Safe,
Robert

I changed the concept....there wasn't enough interest for organized places to meet of dinner or lunch.....therefore I put the information you and others furnished along with my routes and POI/Waypoints. There riders can choose to ride the whole River Road, parts of it or pick a few places along the way...

Thanks for your offer and I am sure there will many riders going to and from the rally with find the Great River Road, one of American's unique byways with so much history and of course great riding.

Back