• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

BMW Motorrad USA Reports 2013 Sales - 14,100 bikes

pglaves

The press release says:

"Woodcliff Lake, NJ ? January 21, 2014? BMW Motorrad USA reported a 17 percent increase in sales for 2013 ? the second highest retail performance on record ? with 14,100 units sold in 2013 compared to 12,100 units sold in 2012. Worldwide, BMW Motorrad sales reached a record high for the third year in a row with 115,191 units, up 8.3% over the previous record of 106,358 units in 2012.

?New and loyal customers, a diverse product portfolio and a high performing dealer network continue to boost sales in the U.S. and make it BMW Motorrad?s strongest export market,? commented Hans Blesse, Vice President, BMW Motorrad USA.

BMW Motorrad?s double digit growth in the U.S. was fueled by sales of the new, award-winning water-cooled R 1200 GS enduro. BMW?s best-selling motorcycle (both in the U.S. and worldwide) accounted for more than 2,000 U.S. customer deliveries, revving up demand for the boxer model line by nearly 20 percent.

Other growth contributors include the newly introduced F 800 GS Adventure and F 800 GT models, which earned accolades from journalists and praise from adventure riders alike. Meanwhile, BMW Motorrad?s first entries into the scooter segment, the C 600 Sport and

C 650 GT, became category leaders and top many of the ?Best Of? lists.

?As much as we are delighted with our performance in 2013, the coming year will bring even greater potential for growth with the introduction of five all-new 2014 models in the first quarter: the BMW R nine T, BMW S 1000 R, BMW R 1200 RT, BMW R 1200 GS Adventure, and the K 1600 GTL Exclusive,? Mr. Blesse remarked."

Just for the sake of numbers, in 2013 Harley sold 46,529 motorcycles in the USA alone...in just one quarter (the third). If our BMW's were only 10 decibels louder I think they could close this sales gap (and perhaps some optional skull/flame options?)...just kidding

From WebBikeWorld

Motorrad sales

Germany: 21,473 vehicles sold (prev. yr.: 20,516 units)

USA: 14,100 vehicles sold, 2,000 more than in 2012..

Next in order of the largest individual markets come France and Italy, each with over 10,000 vehicles sold, and these are followed by Brazil and the UK.

Not what I would have guessed. France and Italy are similar in size to the US market.

Motorrad sales

Not what I would have guessed. France and Italy are similar in size to the US market.

Why does that surprise you?
The difference in rider profile and equipment preferences does not only exist between the U.S. and Germany. European countries among themselves are pretty similar as far as this is concerned.
While in the U.S. the vast majority of bike sales fall in the Cruiser segment, in Europe it is more in the Sport Bike and Touring categories.

It isn't what I would have guessed based on population alone. France with 66 million and Italy 61 million and USA at 314 million population. I know they (Europeans) are into two-wheels, but after deducting scooters, I thought we'd be a larger market share. I bet the 25 or so France dealerships stay busy compared to ours.

The US is still trying to recover. The high water make in the US was 15,299 units sold in 2007.

Mike's comment starts to get at a perspective we forget. The US is a continental market. When you compare it to the European market you are humbled even more. We were the number one country on a country by country basis then were supplanted; however, on a continental basis the EU has long represented well over 70% of the market for BMWs.

The model roll out for this year seems to cement the over 650cc line up for the coming years. How they do will be interesting as 2014 sales numbers roll out. What is not mentioned and should be great fun to keep an eye out for is what BMW has planned for their expanded focus - the under 500cc market.

Why does that surprise you?
The difference in rider profile and equipment preferences does not only exist between the U.S. and Germany. European countries among themselves are pretty similar as far as this is concerned.
While in the U.S. the vast majority of bike sales fall in the Cruiser segment, in Europe it is more in the Sport Bike and Touring categories.

I was speaking in terms of per capita sales for a premium product.

I was speaking in terms of per capita sales for a premium product.

If you would be able to use "per capita sales", China would be the largest market for BMW motorcycles. When you try to find the answer why this is not the case, then you have the answer why you cannot use "per capita" expectations. Look at the whole area West of Ohio and East of Utah and think about how many people in that segment of the U.S. population are interested in a BMW motorcycle...

Look at the whole area West of Ohio and East of Utah and think about how many people in that segment of the U.S. population are interested in a BMW motorcycle...

Not arguing with everything you say.......

Maybe we can chat about it at the St. Paul Rally......:whistle

Not arguing with everything you say.......

Maybe we can chat about it at the St. Paul Rally......:whistle

When I have to talk instead of type, my throat gets very, very dry and I have to have proper lubricant....You're buying!:dance:thumb

Look at the whole area West of Ohio and East of Utah and think about how many people in that segment of the U.S. population are interested in a BMW motorcycle...

Not sure what you mean by that comment but I guess I live in the described area and just bought a BMW last September. Guess there are a few of us!

Not sure what you mean by that comment but I guess I live in the described area and just bought a BMW last September. Guess there are a few of us!

You may want to interprete my comment any way you like. Yes, there are a few who buy and ride BMWs. I never denied that. :thumb

Back