• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2009 R1200RT Heated Seat Wiring Plug?

tgf429

Plasterman
I just recently purchased a used Sargent Seat. It did not have the plug on the wiring for the front seat to hook up the the factory BMW wiring. Does anyone know what type of plug I can use to make this connection? If so, where can I get this connector?

Thanks

Tom

I bought my Sargent heated seats from the factory in Jacksonville on a trip through Florida.
The guys there were very accommodating and I bet they would mail you the plug end for their seats. They told me that they tried to fit their seats with the BMW plug but BMW would not sell to them and when I priced the part decided to cut off the factory equipment and use what Sargent provided.

I can't see any reason for keeping the original BMW connector, unless you think you might get a heated BMW seat some day. Cut it off and take a trip to Radio Shack or a good auto parts store and find matching male and female connectors to splice in. The first frosty ride and you will smile in pure delight with a nice warm tush.

pete

If you get Sargent to send you their connector kit you will see that you can use it to also make an adapter piece for both the passenger and rider end- so you can use either the Sargent or stock seat with heat as you choose.
That way, you can also sell the bike with the stock seat ready to use (with the adapter) and sell the Sargent separately for a few extra $.
Or sell the bike with both seats so the purchaser will have a pan ready to be reworked at Russell or wherever, if he doesn't want a Sargent.

Don't cut it off!

I had the same problem, an aftermarket seat with an SAE connector. Rather than cut off the chassis BMW plug I made a little pigtail converter that I then hardwired to the BMW plug. By hardwired I mean I took a couple of old computer plug pins on wires and jammed them into the chassis BMW connector and then taped that connection up, not to be easily removed. On the other end of this short pigtail wire I put an SAE connector, what my seat wants.

By doing it this way there is no need to cut off the chassis BMW plug, which you may want to have when you sell the bike with the original factory seat :). If you don't have any old computer plug pins around you could probably use a paper clip or some thin stiff wire to insert into the BMW chassis plug.

Dealers can gt you BMW factory plugs for various bits= Bob's, Max and probably others are used to this sort of request.

Back