• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

'81 handlebar control electrical connector specs/supply?

grahamm

Does anyone know a supply of these electric connectors? I would like to wire in new controls for my project without destroying the original ones that I would like to keep in tact just in case I want to go back to original.

They are different colour but are in fact they are all the same 6 socket configuration....any colour is fine except pink.

Anyone have the specs and or supply?

Something like Molex? I'll see if I can get more info.

I'm coming up blank...I see that Motobins has these plugs on the ends of the handlebar switch replacement kits...for example, part 61 31 1 244 420.

They might be AMP connectors and made solely for BMW. In other words you can't buy them from AMP. BMW has done this on oilheads too and the O2 sensor connector is a great case in point. It's exclusive to BMW.

You can use these to build your own harness and they work just as well. See page 9 for the fancy coloured ones but the clear nylon ones are probably cheaper: http://www.digikey.ca/Web%20Export/Supplier%20Content/Tyco_8004/PDF/Tyco_mate.pdf?redirected=1

I just used these to fix the same problem on an R80 G/S.
http://canada.newark.com/te-connectivity-amp/1-480705-0/connector-housing-receptacle-6pos/dp/46F2056

I see you are in Canada so you can get them from Newark or Digikey out of Toronto I think.

well that sucks... nice but not a match to the harness. I would like to keep the wiring harness stock and interface to it with new socket connections on the controls harness... If I cannot find the proper mates looks like I will have to try to find crapped out controls that I can steal the connectors from.

anyone have old control harness connectors on crapped out controls? I need left and right.

Try calling Rusty at Max BMW in NH. BMW does sell some connectors as repair parts and if anyone would know about them it would be Rusty.

well that sucks... nice but not a match to the harness.

Well ummm no of course not. They are not BMW exclusive connectors.

The idea is you use a pin extractor and replace _both_ sides... with these functional equivalents.

Or chop up a used harness. :dunno

I'd be interested to hear what Rusty says about those connectors though.

The idea is you use a pin extractor and replace _both_ sides... with these functional equivalents.

are you saying that the pins on the harness are compatible with housing of the Amp connector? The BMW pin on the harness just snap in as the AMP pin?... if that is the case.. then Yahoo!

That's a good question. Normally I replace connectors and pins on both sides with those inexpensive AMP ones. I crimp _and_ solder to be sure I only fix it once and for all. Let me pop the tank off one of my airheads to check it out and get back with an answer.

I pulled the tank off my G/S and took a look. Good thing I did. The bulkhead style connectors on the bike are a larger diameter pin than the ones I normally use as replacements. Over built for signal wiring but hey, that's BMW. Below is a two pin version of the AMP connectors next to the BMW. They won't work for what you want to do but work fine for total replacement. With a little research I'm sure you can find the larger equivalent. Since I can't locate the larger ones in the Newark catalog I would just call them and inquire about the larger size. The part in the picture is AMP 1-480698-0 and the socket is 350550-1. Pin diameter is 2.13mm. You want the ~3.50mm 6 pin bulkhead style version near as I can measure. Oh and yes, Molex makes extremely similar ones as well but I believe BMW used AMP stuff here. YMMV.

IMG_20140121_120421.jpg

Thanks for the investigation...

First I will call Max, if that fails I will go search for controls that are not worth saving.

Update:

Rusty was a great help at Max.

Housing and sockets available through BMW... not on the parts list for the g/s but he found them.

Crimp Sockets are pretty pricey at 3.75 each and 6 are needed for each connection but I can't find an equivalent 3.5mm crimp socket anywhere... oh well, supporting bmw to support us.

I decided in the end to keep the stock controls on the left so that reduced my need to only one connection. I forgot finding something for the choke would be problematic:(

Back