• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Gaining on It?78 R100/7

godfather

Here is an update of my /7 journey.

I picked up my second airhead, a R100/7, in September. I tinkered a bit and got her on the road after putting about 40 hours into a total degreasing, cleaning, complete fluids and filters change, new plugs and all adjustments?it ran pretty well.

I discovered the Push rod tube seals needed renewing, carbs needed rebuilding so to the winter storage / work facility it went. The past 2 1/2 month have been educational, frustrating and quite enjoyable.

Now, I will bore you with what I have done so far.

Install PR tube seals plus work on the push rod tube washer/rings to secure them.
Rebuilt carbs with new floats, float pins and needles, diaphragms, all gaskets
Throttle cables
Choke cables
New clutch cable
New Mufflers and Headers (repros from Emgo) real PITA to get everything lined up! They look good though.
Remove oil pan to clean and inspect it. Torque oil pick up bolts. It was a good thing too, they were loose.
Clean everything again as I worked
Cleaned all aluminum castings with aluminum brightener and a toothbrush working in no larger than a 2" X 2" area at a time. Scrubbed, dried the brightener then rinsed and dried again then move to the next section. This took a long time, but came out real nice.
Touch up the multiple scratches and nicks on the frame.

My speedo/tach are in route for repairs.
Next is the front brake line, then clean all electrical connections and dielectric grease on em'. That should keep me busy for nhe next couple weeks.

Here are some photos of the mess I started with and where I am today.
Can't wait till spring to get her back out and all tweaked for the 2014 season!

I HAVE TO ACKNOWLEDGE RUSTY GILL AT MAX'S BMW FOR HIS HELP AND EXPERTISE IN PARTS SELECTION!

Last edited:
Very nice! The before and after pictures really show all your hard work. There will be some smiles when you get to start her up down the road. :thumb

Nice work, that's exactly the type of extra bike I'd like to have in the garage. Slash sevens rule. Because they were right before certain stuff was messed with. Trannies were good, cases were beefed up and good grunt down the road. Have a good ride, they will never make them like this again, IMO.

What a nice job you are doing! I really admire your work, but more importantly, I have an appreciation for your work, says a lot about you!

Chiming in, the /7 is the epitome of what a motorcycle should be!

Looking good and some man hours invested.

I have my newest rescue, a /5, sitting on table and parts boxes all about...just lack time for TLC being retired:scratch go figure:laugh:laugh:laugh

I guess I need to get off the computer,eh?

Thanks for the kind words everyone.
As we all know... this is a labor of love.

I am very fortunate that my wife understands this is what I like to do.
Not sure she likes the grimy clothes :nono though.

update....

well, I brought the /7 home today. Adjusted the butterfly stop screws to get the idle at 1100 rpm then balanced the carbs enough to go get gas, and do a 20 minute warm up ride.
When I returned home, I hooked the twinmax back up and proceeded with the idle mixture adjustment... back and forth a few times
then re-balance. Did the idle mixture screws again and another re-balance. Adjusted the throttle cables so the balance was set at idle and at 3000 rpm.

Then I went out for a ride....SWEET! This thing is so smooth between 2500-4500 rpm I cannot believe it.

I had doubts about the work I did, but guess I did it right.The difference between how it was when I brought it home and how it is now simply amazes me.

Thanks to everyone that helped by answering my questions along the way.
I'm sure there will me more questions as I start riding and discovering other areas that need attention.

I have a short iPhone vid, but can't figure out how to post it to my photo bucket.

Thanks again.

That bike is beautiful,nice job. I have a '78 R80/7,same set up as yours,pretty much stock. I often joke with my wife that I want to be buried with her,(the bike that is).

Back