Here is an update of my /7 journey.
I picked up my second airhead, a R100/7, in September. I tinkered a bit and got her on the road after putting about 40 hours into a total degreasing, cleaning, complete fluids and filters change, new plugs and all adjustments?it ran pretty well.
I discovered the Push rod tube seals needed renewing, carbs needed rebuilding so to the winter storage / work facility it went. The past 2 1/2 month have been educational, frustrating and quite enjoyable.
Now, I will bore you with what I have done so far.
Install PR tube seals plus work on the push rod tube washer/rings to secure them.
Rebuilt carbs with new floats, float pins and needles, diaphragms, all gaskets
New clutch cable
New Mufflers and Headers (repros from Emgo) real PITA to get everything lined up! They look good though.
Remove oil pan to clean and inspect it. Torque oil pick up bolts. It was a good thing too, they were loose.
Clean everything again as I worked
Cleaned all aluminum castings with aluminum brightener and a toothbrush working in no larger than a 2" X 2" area at a time. Scrubbed, dried the brightener then rinsed and dried again then move to the next section. This took a long time, but came out real nice.
Touch up the multiple scratches and nicks on the frame.
My speedo/tach are in route for repairs.
Next is the front brake line, then clean all electrical connections and dielectric grease on em'. That should keep me busy for nhe next couple weeks.
Here are some photos of the mess I started with and where I am today.
Can't wait till spring to get her back out and all tweaked for the 2014 season!
I HAVE TO ACKNOWLEDGE RUSTY GILL AT MAX'S BMW FOR HIS HELP AND EXPERTISE IN PARTS SELECTION!